Join TexasGunTalk

How to move a heavy gun safe

Discussion in 'Articles & How-Tos' started by picker, Jun 11, 2015.

1. 9uc

9uc Bible/Gun carrying Christian Conservative Lifetime Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Humble, TX
    Have decided that in the future, I'll hire it being moved, learned my lesson the hard way. Early March of last year as I was preparing to move from Vegas back to Texas, I took it upon myself to move my small four gun Liberty safe with a traditional loading dolly. I had done it that way a couple of times before several years earlier. Did ok getting it out of the walk in closet, but as I went to move it out to the garage, I felt like something in my back ripped. Hired out the rest of the moving as I was totally down for a couple of weeks. Two doctor visits and xrays over the next six month period, I'm told I have arthritis, and not that bad for my age. Now after a year plus of slow healing of what I have been convinced was my spine being slightly out of alignment, and pressure on a nerve, I had a CT scan done two weeks ago for a cardiology and vein exam and as a note at the end of the report it mentioned that I show a "healed over" fracture in two vertebrae, one in the area I felt the ripping sensation.

2. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan Active Member

I've just cardboard to slide on carpet. I've use a good dolly. I've used lots of guys. Up stairs, down stairs. I've use carpet to slide it on wood floors.

I LIKE those ideas on the first page, golf balls and soft balls. I'm going to have to remember that. I've got a bucket full of hard baseballs already.

3. Usmc1911

Usmc1911 Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Removing the door helps

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I work for this company, but this is the sort of thing our product is good for.

http://www.uship.com/furniture -- I know it says furniture, but you can just list it as a safe.

5. dtownmj

dtownmj Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Houston, TX
    for those of you that keep your gun safes in the garage - is humidity ever an issue taht causes the guns to rust faster?

6. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    No.

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I always kept a Golden Rod in mine. My reloading stuff would rust up pretty quickly if I left it in my garage so I didn't go without it.

8. orbitup

orbitup Sticker Cop TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    South of Dallas
    Tag

9. mrwiggins

mrwiggins New Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Louisiana
    appliance dolly is what i used.

10. Downhill

Downhill New Member