• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoydRage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2023
    Baytown, Tx
    So lets me start from the top with this. I'm a full-time care take for my mom since my dad passed away, I have Full POA and MPOA over my mom. I meet quarterly with our CPA to discuss stuff about the portfolio etc. I have been looking at diversifying from of the asset out of the portfolio for some property. The CPA thinks its a good idea to buy some land while the market goes through its ups and down right now. Recently I found 12 acres about an hour from where I live that is decently priced. But when I looked up in the city ordinances, I don't find anything about target ranges, firing range or anything of that matter for the City of Silsbee, TX 77656. Today I called the city to ask them about it but the lady that would handle this is out of the office for the holidays and want be back till Monday. Assuming the worst in that they don't have anything covering this, what would be my first step to making sure I could use this land at a minimum for private target practice, or at best turn it into a small out door gun range to make back some of money on the property?
    ARJ Defense ad

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So lets me start from the top with this. I'm a full-time care take for my mom since my dad passed away, I have Full POA and MPOA over my mom. I meet quarterly with our CPA to discuss stuff about the portfolio etc. I have been looking at diversifying from of the asset out of the portfolio for some property. The CPA thinks its a good idea to buy some land while the market goes through its ups and down right now. Recently I found 12 acres about an hour from where I live that is decently priced. But when I looked up in the city ordinances, I don't find anything about target ranges, firing range or anything of that matter for the City of Silsbee, TX 77656. Today I called the city to ask them about it but the lady that would handle this is out of the office for the holidays and want be back till Monday. Assuming the worst in that they don't have anything covering this, what would be my first step to making sure I could use this land at a minimum for private target practice, or at best turn it into a small out door gun range to make back some of money on the property?
    From what I understand, a public/for profit gun range requires a LOT of liability insurance, and that does not come cheap. Just something else for you to consider when deciding what you should do.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    City has no say if you’re outside city limits.
    County might have some regulations.
    Inside city limits you’ll have a tough go on an outdoor range.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    You would be much better off talking to a realtor, not an agent, or a real estate attorney. They are the ones that should know what land can be used for.
    Read the Local Government codes as well to get a better understanding of what city and county governments can and can not do.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Don't have neighbors

Don't let neighbors in around you

Don't open to the public

Don't have neighbors

If they can hear you, they will bust out their own windows and claim a stray round hit their house to get you shut down

Don't have neighbors

Insurance will be a bitch.

Build the biggest berms you can. See if any nearby pool companies are in need of a place to dump dirt.

Don't have neighbors.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Before we signed on this place, I contacted the Tyler County Sheriff (him, not his office) to see if there was any problem with us shooting or setting up a range on our own property, etc; figured if there was any 'reason' whatsoever he'd likely know.

If you move forward with this idea - buy property that is outside as many jurisdictions as possible: cities, developments, etc.

And, follow @zackmars advice ^^ to the letter.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    With the current anti-everything gun related atmosphere, I wouldn't consider a hunk of land less than 100 acres for that endeavor. And then follow post #7. If you are considering an indoor range, multiply whatever costs you are estimating by at least one million, and you might be close. And then follow post #7.

Last edited:

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    With the current anti-everything gun related atmosphere, I wouldn't consider a hunk of land less than 100 acres for that endeavor. And then follow post #7. If you are considering an indoor range, multiply whatever costs you are estimating by at least one million, and you might be close. And then follow post #7.

I would agree that 12 acres is an inadequate amount of land for anything other than an indoor range, just from a liability and litigation standpoint. Perhaps if it's 12 acres literally in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise, no. If anyone lives or works near enough to be bothered by the noise of gunshots, they will complain. Every time you shoot. If that isn't enough to shut you down, they'll begin to 'find' bullets laying on their property. They had to come from you, right? If needed, the magic bullets will begin to break windows and be found laying on the floor inside. Eventually, they'll take you to court.

It's a lot like the people who buy houses in airport flight paths, and then complain about the noise from aircraft flying overhead. Or people who buy houses right on the perimeter of a military reservation and then complain about the noise from firing and other training. It doesn't matter that the airport or military reservation has been there for 100 years, and they were made aware of that going in.

At my final assignment in the Army, I had to pull overnight duty at the installation level every few months. Part of our briefing explained that precisely at a given time, a specific person (by name) would call and complain about the noise of artillery firing. They did it every night. This place conducted test firing on a set schedule. Every night at a specific time, they would fire one round. They continued to fire a single round at specific intervals overnight, and had been for decades. This woman called to complain every night, beginning right at 8:00 PM when they fired the first round. I retired and moved away before this thing played out, but I fully expect that the firing program had to be shut down and moved elsewhere.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    A gun club of which I was a member bought 60 acres and built a range. No objections were made during the permit process but shortly after the opening weekend a renter complained about the noise. After acquiring the property the renter was on they were forced to move. The process cost the club a sizable amount of money and doubled the yearly dues, however the result was 100 acres and an expansion from 600 to 1000 yards.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Having relatives in Silsbee, no one ever cared if you went out back and shot to your hearts content. There was a creek bed that was a good backstop. They had about 6 acres if I recall. I joined in a few times. They still do it to this day. The houses there get passed down to other family members a lot.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    12 acres small private range under right circumstances....doable......

Public range with 12 acres...............absolutely not........

imho..........

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    12 acres small private range under right circumstances....doable......

Public range with 12 acres...............absolutely not........

imho..........
    Yeah after some quick math, our pistol range is almost a full acre, and has about 30 bays, goes out to 25 yards. But then there's close to 700 yards of empty land behind the very end of the berm.

A commercial range on 12 acres is cutting it close, especially if nearby lots are occupied

Top Bottom