• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobtheoutlaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    My son had a breakin at his automotive shop in Saginaw, back in 2006,a pistol was stolen amoung other things. Last year we found out that Fort Worth had caught a guy in possesion of the stolen gun. He was never charged with possesion of the stolen gun. Many Many phone calls to FW have led nowhere in getting the gun back, first you need police report, then you need case number then you have to talk with prosecutor etc etc.
    Each party blames someone else on why your gun is not available. A year later all we have is that when we call the prosecuters office they don't even return your phone calls. Do we need an act of congress to get our property back, it is not even being used as evidence in a crime, thief was not charged. So what does any one out there suggest????
    Guns International

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    It is quite often that people found in possession of stolen guns are not charged. There has to be a link that they stole it. With gunshows and boards like this, it is easy to buy a gun that was stolen and not know it. So usually if some time has passed since the theft it is just collocted and returned to the owner.

How do you know FW police have it???

If in fact they do...send a registered letter to the commander of their evidence unit, requesting the gun back. If you have no way to prove you tried to get it back, it may get destroyed or sold at auction and you wont have any recourse.

Did you report it when it got stolen? Contact that department and get the case number...have that officer try to call FW for you...he may get better results.
    Im sure they have no interest in keeping a gun that is rightfully yours.

remember, "the sqeaky wheel gets the grease".

good luck

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Texascop is right on I think.

I'm curious though, how do you know FW PD has it? Was it not reported stolen and included in a Report at the time? How do you know the guy in possession is a thief?

bobtheoutlaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    getting gun back from ft worth

Ft Worth called detective in saginaw when they recovered the gun, fort worth police officer provided info on suspect and case numver, then began a long endless loop of you need to talk to etc etc etc, but no resolution, was the person caught the gun thief, don't know, but he was busted for some other crime and gun was found on him at the time. I do not care if he was the original thief or not.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ft Worth called detective in saginaw when they recovered the gun, fort worth police officer provided info on suspect and case numver, then began a long endless loop of you need to talk to etc etc etc, but no resolution, was the person caught the gun thief, don't know, but he was busted for some other crime and gun was found on him at the time. I do not care if he was the original thief or not.

Sounds exactly like my case too. With exactly the same results. The only difference is location. CCPD is sitting on my rifle since it's "evidence in a trial". We're at almost 2yrs now since our detective called us the first time and 1yr since our last 'where is it' inquiry. And the way we did that was to show up at our detective's office at the Sheriff, then go to the city PD to the edivence withholding office. Then upstairs to talk to the other officer's assigned to that case.

I will be making another visit as soon as I am back in town.

I understand the system is swamped. I understand the officers and detectives are buried in work. I understand the drugged out thug who burgarized our home and others and is not an upsanding member of society has rights so he's been sitting in jail for almost 2years getting 3 hot meals a day, a shower and a bed to sleep in while I pay the tab and I am still out property that is rightfully mine! :banghead:

Reminds me of this bailout stuff. I did everything right, where's my reward?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Sounds exactly like my case too. With exactly the same results. The only difference is location. CCPD is sitting on my rifle since it's "evidence in a trial". We're at almost 2yrs now since our detective called us the first time and 1yr since our last 'where is it' inquiry. And the way we did that was to show up at our detective's office at the Sheriff, then go to the city PD to the edivence withholding office. Then upstairs to talk to the other officer's assigned to that case.

I will be making another visit as soon as I am back in town.

I understand the system is swamped. I understand the officers and detectives are buried in work. I understand the drugged out thug who burgarized our home and others and is not an upsanding member of society has rights so he's been sitting in jail for almost 2years getting 3 hot meals a day, a shower and a bed to sleep in while I pay the tab and I am still out property that is rightfully mine! :banghead:

Reminds me of this bailout stuff. I did everything right, where's my reward?

You might try to talk to the DA in Nueces County about your gun. Our department does not have to hold a weapon until trial...we print it, photograph it and once everything is documented we release it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You might try to talk to the DA in Nueces County about your gun. Our department does not have to hold a weapon until trial...we print it, photograph it and once everything is documented we release it.

I think I will try to do that. Oddly enough Dad gave me a ring right after I replied to this thread and he said still no word. I'd hate to get my rifle back and it's pitted and in poor shape from being tossed around somewhere in a back room.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think I will try to do that. Oddly enough Dad gave me a ring right after I replied to this thread and he said still no word. I'd hate to get my rifle back and it's pitted and in poor shape from being tossed around somewhere in a back room.

Most departments secure weapons in some type of secure room or safe, and use reasonable care when handling.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Most departments secure weapons in some type of secure room or safe, and use reasonable care when handling.

I hope ours is one of them. The folks we've talked to throughout the process are pretty easy going about firearms and they don't treat them as though they or we are a pariah for wanting them back. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed they handle them fairly. I'm frustrated about the entire process being as slow as molasses on a cold day. At least they know that rifle has a rightful owner.

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    bobtheoutlaw,

In cases like yours, I stay on the recovering (FW in your case) until I get it back so I can clear our report. Sorry for your difficulties. Some agencies do not have a high priority to return items such as yours. Hope you can convince your agency to step in on your behalf.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    If you aren't getting anywhere with the property room or detective, contact the Police Chief. If that doesn't work, call the Mayor's Office. If that doesn't work, call the television stations.

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    I cant offer much advice on how to get it back,but for future refrence. If you schedule your firearms on your homeowner, business, or rental insurance. You can set the price really, within reason. Some companies require an apprasial. Report it stolen turn in the police report. You get the cash and buy your self a new gun. I know it dosent help this instance but maybe some info you didnt have before, good luck

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom