How to run a serial number?

Fishkiller

Well-Known
Jul 22, 2019
Frederickburg
I'm curious as to why the OP is wondering if a gun might be stolen?

Did he already buy a gun that he's concerned with, or thinking about one that might be?
Me thinks it is to get the post count up.

Renegade

SuperOwner
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
Correct.
But typically FFLs can check if the gun is stolen beforehand, and since a 4473 is filled out when you buy from them you should be safe.
FFLs have no access to stolen gun records. So no, they cannot check beforehand or after, or ever.

As already stated 4473 has nothing to do with stolen guns, does not matter when you fill it out if ever for that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 19, 2008
Kerr County
Is it "illegal" for an FFL to call local PDs and inquire whether or not a firearm (based on the serial number) has been stolen? Or does that depend upon the local PD as to whether or not to give out that information?
Or is it "illegal" for the PD to give out that information.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
Is it "illegal" for an FFL to call local PDs and inquire whether or not a firearm (based on the serial number) has been stolen? Or does that depend upon the local PD as to whether or not to give out that information?
Or is it "illegal" for the PD to give out that information.
It is not illegal to ask, but I seriously doubt my local PD is interested in manning a phone to run SNs. And I as FFL am not interested in calling them either. My answer to anyone concerned about buying a stolen gun is, if you have any reason to think it is stolen, dont buy it.

Hundreds of MILLIONS of guns have moved through FFLs, over the years, and given the number of FFLs there are, it is likely most FFLs never have a stolen gun pass through their store. If it was an issue FFLs would be the ones pushing for a way to check SNs.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members