• ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Correct.
    But typically FFLs can check if the gun is stolen beforehand, and since a 4473 is filled out when you buy from them you should be safe.

FFLs have no access to stolen gun records. So no, they cannot check beforehand or after, or ever.

As already stated 4473 has nothing to do with stolen guns, does not matter when you fill it out if ever for that.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Is it "illegal" for an FFL to call local PDs and inquire whether or not a firearm (based on the serial number) has been stolen? Or does that depend upon the local PD as to whether or not to give out that information?
    Or is it "illegal" for the PD to give out that information.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Is it "illegal" for an FFL to call local PDs and inquire whether or not a firearm (based on the serial number) has been stolen? Or does that depend upon the local PD as to whether or not to give out that information?
    Or is it "illegal" for the PD to give out that information.

It is not illegal to ask, but I seriously doubt my local PD is interested in manning a phone to run SNs. And I as FFL am not interested in calling them either. My answer to anyone concerned about buying a stolen gun is, if you have any reason to think it is stolen, dont buy it.

Hundreds of MILLIONS of guns have moved through FFLs, over the years, and given the number of FFLs there are, it is likely most FFLs never have a stolen gun pass through their store. If it was an issue FFLs would be the ones pushing for a way to check SNs.

Mjdean77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Houston area
    I'm curious as to why the OP is wondering if a gun might be stolen?

Did he already buy a gun that he's concerned with, or thinking about one that might be?
    I have several guns from both sides of my family and just wat to run the numbers to know for sure. One of them is a shotgun I want to hunt with but don't want a Game Warden to run the numbers and get a surprise in the field.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Okay. Personally I would not. If it was stolen and you are not the one who did it, you should be fine outside of having it confiscated. Calling a PD to find out if the gun you possess is stolen will net the same result with more suspicion IMO.

Mjdean77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Houston area
    Okay. Personally I would not. If it was stolen and you are not the one who did it, you should be fine outside of having it confiscated. Calling a PD to find out if the gun you possess is stolen will net the same result with more suspicion IMO.
    Since it was given to me by my grandpa I would hate to have it confiscated.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Then keep it and enjoy it. It is not normal to ask or required by law for you to find out if it is stolen. If you acquired it from some shady character it might be a concern. In this case I wouldn't go through the trouble much less giving up any more information.

Mjdean77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Houston area
    Then keep it and enjoy it. It is not normal to ask or required by law for you to find out if it is stolen. If you acquired it from some shady character it might be a concern. In this case I wouldn't go through the trouble much less giving up any more information.
    Absolutely! I'm just wanting to make sure I'm legal.

Top Bottom