• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    My other hobby, when not doing things gun related, is motorcycles. This year in particular seems to have started off rather badly with motorcycle incidents involving deer strikes. I'd like to take that down time when I'm not riding to at least do my part in controlling the deer population, but where do you start?

At least in Texas, it seems the majority of people I hear who go hunting already have hunting leases and groups of long time friends who they hunt with. Here I am with zero experience and the wrong equipment (at least for now) ... what advice would you have for getting experience and finding a place to learn to hunt?
    Venture Surplus ad

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    There are some fairly inexpensive guided hunt ranches here in Texas. It's a nice way to start hunting, as most will have a rifle you can use if you let them know of your need in advance. The benefit is that you can learn some techniques and tips while with them, maybe do a 2 or 3 day hunt.

After that, you'll know a bit more about it. You probably know a few guys that hunt, you just may not know that they hunt.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Who would you suggest? How much do people spend on leases? What are some of the ins and outs of leases?

For a guided hunt:

I would suggest starting with wild hog or meat hunts since they are about the least expensive.

Examples of local guided hunts:
    4B Ranch - Dove Hunt West Texas Game Ranch
    Booking a hunt Night Hogs Wild Hog Hunts in South Texas

and (no link, so I'm pasting it) this one is within 2 hrs of DFW....if you want to try this one, I might go with you & bring the guns if you drive.
    WE ARE BOOKING HOG HUNTS FOR THIS SUMMER

$125 A DAY WITH A 2 DAY MIN 2 HOGS ANYSIZE
    INCLUDES LODGING NO MEALS

THE RANCH IS 750 AC LOCATED 10 MILES WEST OF CROSS PLAINS TX. WE HAVE 6 NICE PONDS AND A FEW CREEKS THAT RUN THROUGH THE RANCH. THE LAND IS GREAT FOR SPOT AND STALK. WE HAVE BOW AND RIFLE STANDS LOCATED OVER FEEDERS AND IN FOOD PLOTS. WE HAVE A CLEANING AREA WITH A NICE WALK IN COOLER. YOU MAY HUNT DAY OR NIGHT. CALL LEWIS @ 972-322-3821 ANYTIME NIGHT OR DAY.

THANKS
    LEWIS D
    BOONE RANCH
    CROSS PLAINS TX
    972-322-3821

For a lease, see:
    https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/listlease.php

You can narrow it down by prey, method, or area.

DCortez, were you asking about the pros & cons of a hunting lease? There really are not any ins or outs, you just sign a contract to use the property in a specified and pre-agreed upon way. Leases vary by individual landowner. They approximately range from $5-12 per acre, per year.....depending on the number of people on the lease.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What are some of the ins and outs of leases?

Two big ones for me:

(1) Spending money on lease improvements and then having the lessor abruptly terminate your lease. It's a risk you have to be aware of going in.
    (2) Finding good members (because, generally speaking, you have to have enough members to make it affordable). You need folks who are safe, trustworthy, and committed.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    Two big ones for me:
    (2) Finding good members (because, generally speaking, you have to have enough members to make it affordable). You need folks who are safe, trustworthy, and committed.

And that's where I'm stuck, although I'm probably getting the horse way in front of the cart. For the friends of mine that hunt, they already have those groups of friends established, and have been sharing the lease(s) for many years now. I'm not comfortable trying to wedge myself into that arrangement, but don't know if it's easier to start up a new group of folks or try to insert into an existing group.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You could let those friends know that you are looking to get into a lease. Depending on how well you know them, you could ask to visit their lease one day with them. Unless you know everyone on the lease before signing up, it's Russian roulette as to how well it is run & how strict the rules are enforced....if there are any rules. Some are family-oriented and a few are a bunch of drunks shooting fireworks.

The best case scenario will have you already knowing a couple of the guys on the lease & knowing what type of lease & environment to expect.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    RC here is a e-mail link to an old buddy and co-worker.

Craig has hunter with the likes of Ted Nugget and others.

Craig Jacoby craigjacoby@sbcglobal.net.

I haven't spoke with Craig in a while but know he still puts on hunts and if he doesn't have a hunt for you or your pocket book, he can steer you in the right direction.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    You could let those friends know that you are looking to get into a lease. Depending on how well you know them

+1...That's how I got on a lease. Let all my friends, that I get along with really well know that I was looking to get on a lease.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    So how much for a great lease, good lease, and OMG, this is downtown Detroit lease?

Doh, you didn't read my post.
    Post #4, towards the bottom is a link of some leases in Texas, catagorized by county. It shows acreage, animals, means, # of hunter, and cost.

The difference between a great & good lease is very subjective. Some guys like a fair number of hunters to hang out with, while others prefer very few. Some like leases where everyone sits around a bonfire & swaps stories where other people just want to go to hunt. When looking for a lease, ask the lessor to describe the camp & other hunters. If you want to take your family, ask if it's family friendly. Just think of what you want, then tailor your questions to gather that info. You can't pin it down to just one thing, price is usually not what will effect how much you enjoy the lease. How long you have to drive will greatly influence how much you will use it (in the beginning, you may not mind driving 7 hrs to get there, but it will get old very fast). The other hunter personalities will also come into play. Is it the type of terrain you want to hunt? Lots of things to think about.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So how much for a great lease, good lease, and OMG, this is downtown Detroit lease?
    The prices run as follows:
    Great lease: come into an inheritance, or be come the CEO of Exxon mobile
    Good lease: Save some money for a year and look hard for one in your price range that has a good amount of critters.
    OMG lease: put your money on the first thing you come across and like to sit and watch squirrel's.
    always visit the lease before you drop money. Look for (fresh) signs of animals. And to insure that the land owner is mentally stable (don't ask) How's that D? Did I answer your question?

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    And to insure that the land owner is mentally stable (don't ask) ?

I'll write that down.

How's that D? Did I answer your question?

Perty much. I sure hate learning the hard way.

I almost bought some property in the Rocksprings/Ozona neck of the woods. The Wife didn't want to drive that far or rough it that hard so we took South Texas instead...

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    The prices run as follows:
    Great lease: come into an inheritance, or be come the CEO of Exxon mobile

Or, you can do what I did, marry into it. My wifes family has a 7600 acre ranch in south Tx. It's for family & friends, has a home that sleeps 20, and they have a guy that takes care of it (nobody lives on it). However, since it's 7 hrs away, we only get out there a couple times a year.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Or, you can do what I did, marry into it. My wifes family has a 7600 acre ranch in south Tx. It's for family & friends, has a home that sleeps 20, and they have a guy that takes care of it (nobody lives on it). However, since it's 7 hrs away, we only get out there a couple times a year.

Hi, my name is Pete, and I am your new best friend. ;)

Top Bottom