• ...and so much more!
  • Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    It is absolutely your choice. 100% agreed.

But please enlighten me. Which member of USA Shooting has said or done anything that makes you think they don't support the USA?

None I am aware of.
    However OTHER members of team USA have done/said anti US things. Therefore refer to my above statement.

One member or entire team.

The US olympic committee allows these people (antis) to still compete. There fore I refuse to support the olympics and or the team.

Kick um off and send those that do support US and I will reconsider.

I was a big SPURS fan til POP stuck his nose in the BLM political BS. Dont and wont watch um til at least he moves on.

Sports coaches and teams are to entertain not interject politics in to sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK. I get it. Just for everyone else's benefit, though, folks should realize that the US Olympic team is actually dozens of separate teams that all have some autonomy from the US Olympic Committee and the International Olympic Committee. The IOC and the USOC get their way if push comes to shove but, mostly, they like to leave the governing bodies of the individual sports to their own devices. Even then, it gets complicated since USA Shooting doesn't really report to the USOC but to the International Sport Shooting Federation (ISSF). Don't get me wrong; the USOC and IOC meddle plenty but it's (broadly) mostly in the area of public relations.

If the track and field folks (I don't know their exact title) don't have a rule against an athlete turning away from the flag while on the podium, then the USOC can't really force them to remove that athlete without inviting a protracted legal battle. And they're not going to start that battle until they examine the public image aspects in great detail. At the moment they must feel that it isn't politically viable to kick a too-woke, unpatriotic athlete. That's regrettable, very regrettable and I fully understand why it leaves such a bad taste in your mouth.

I have a pretty strong feeling that if a member of USA Shooting did something like this, they'd suffer some consequences. By contrast, the track and field folks have tolerated shit like that for decades.

I think you're wrong to paint every single member of all the different U.S. Olympic teams with such a broad brush but that's your call.

And the IOC? Well, those corrupt SOBs don't really care about such local squabbles as long as all the committee members are getting their bribes and kickbacks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    On streaming platforms, Peacock TV is associated with NBC and showing lots of minor sports. They seem to be completely ignoring shooting.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The issf-org site is showing a graphic to click to take you to live video. When you click it, it takes you to the results page, not the video.

Well, this is fubar.

I'm giving up for tonight and I'll look for the archives video tomorrow.

ETA after it's over - The ISSF site still doesn't show results. The winners that I reported below I got from olympics.com. It appears the ISSF isn't making an effort to stay on top of this.

ETA again - Maybe I was too harsh on the ISSF. Robert reports that the links worked for him. Maybe it's just me... :(

Last edited:

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Ben
    I used to be an avid sports fan.
    NBA
    NFL
    NHL
    Once they started interjecting racial bs I wrote off all of um.

Havent watched a game in over 2 yrs. NFL NBA etc.

I still follow NASCAR but they came (still are) close to me writing them off as well.

Same with actors etc that interject their bs opinion in to the world.

Do your job
    Play ball
    Drive a car
    Act
    WTF evah just dont start with the holier than though BS.

Because odds are pretty dam good behind closed doors when no one is listening or watching they aint practicing what they preaching.

You all enjoy the GAMES I will be working on my land or other activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well, the Women's Air Rifle has ended. The podium will be:

Gold - Qian Yang of the People's Republic of China
    Silver - Anastasila Galashina competing under the Olympic flag for the Russian Olympic Committee
    Bronze - Nina Christen of Switzerland

The winning score of 251.8 was just 1.1 points off the world record. Dadgum good shooting.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep - I wish I knew more about the scoring. That last round was nuts - both of them cheesed a bit.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I went to your link on the issf site. Seemed to work so far.
    Well, it was supposed to work but it sure didn't for me. I tried it on Silk, Firefox, and Chrome and it always defaulted to the results page, not a video feed.
    I wish I knew more about the scoring.
    The scoring of the regular qualifying match is done just like you would expect.

However, in most of the shooting sports the whole idea of shooting a match, scoring it, and declaring a winner has been dumped. In an attempt to make the sports more TV-friendly, the top 8 (less at smaller matches) start over with a clean sheet. They all shoot a few shots. At some point, it's time for the lowest scoring shooter to sit down. Then after a set number of additional shots, the low scorer again sits down. Lather, rinse, repeat. Gradually, the field is cut until final standings are determined.

If you look at the results page for the match you just watched you'll see that they put up eight shooters, fired 10 initial shots, and then eliminated the person who wound up in 8th place 2 shots after that. From then on, every 2 shots resulted in the bottom scorer being eliminated.

I really hate that format because it wipes out all the work done in qualifying. Still, it's what the ISSF and the IOC hammered out. I will admit that for most shooting sports, it makes for a more exciting, TV-adapted final...which is all most people will watch. It also makes for upsets. If someone just crushes all the competition during the qualifying, then every competitor on the line will know that shooter is the best. They get no advantage from that, though. If they have a lousy string during the shootoffs, the best shooter can easily wind up out of the medals. If #8 has a short hot streak during the shootoffs, they may win a medal that everyone knows they don't really deserve.

I think that's unfair. Traditionally the qualifying match was the entire competition until they started changing things for the TV cameras. It spits in the face of tradition to completely discard what a shooter accomplished in qualifying.

Personally, I like for shootoffs to be done via repeated head-to-head matches, the so-called ladder format. It used to be done that way in professional bowling but I haven't watched that for years.

At the Olympics the best example is fencing. They do a finals ladder with the top 32 qualifiers! #32 duels #31. The winner duels #30. The winner duels #29. Repeat till you get to the final match-up. That means you can be in 32nd place and if you can manage to win 31 single-elimination bouts in a row, you get the gold. In practical terms, that's impossible but it sure fosters hope. Imagine going into the final day of a competition way out in 32nd place and knowing you could theoretically win it all!

However, the biggest reason I like that format is that the effort you put into qualifying is not completely discounted. In the ladder format, even though #32 could win it all, no one can finish worse than one place below their qualifying rank. If you beat everybody during qualifying (where you duel every other competitor) and go into the finals at the top of the leaderboard you might get knocked down from gold to silver but you can't do worse than that.

That's a much more fair format but the ISSF would have none of it.

It's late and I'm rambling. Obviously, I'll be back into this thread tomorrow.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I guess I can't leave it alone tonite. One more post. :)
    I went to your link on the issf site.
    Based on conversations not in this thread, it appears that NBC has a lock on broadcast and streaming rights in the U.S. As in years past, viewing via streaming may require you to use your cable provider login. In the past, your internet provider meant nothing; you had to have a cable provider. Cord cutters were out in the cold.

I'll experiment and know more tomorrow.

Of course, you could always fire up a VPN and watch from some country where one media outlet doesn't have a ridiculous monopoly. I hear that for many sports you get much better coverage and commentary out of the UK. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Vimeo/Livestream link seems to be a complete dead end. The ISSF hasn't even archived the last two finals on that page. If they can't maintain it now, it might be a good reference some time after the Games but it's not worth looking at now.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Men's 10m Air Pistol was shot in the wee hours this morning, our time. The podium was:

Gold - Javad Foroughi of the Islamic Republic of Iran
    Silver - Damir Mikec of Serbia
    Bronze - Wei Pang of the People's Republic of China

Foroughi set a new Olympic record of 244.8.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You have to dig a little to find the page that explains it but it appears that the mechanisms referenced in my #34 post are in play. Thanks, Robert, for whacking me with the cluestick.

Then once you dig into that page, you find:
    To unlock online viewing within our apps or at NBCOlympics.com, you must log in using the credentials for your cable, satellite or telco TV subscription.
    Apparently, once you've done that, the ISSF links will actually lead you to the live feeds of shooting. They may also be available from nbcolympics.com.

Testing now and will report back later.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The Fix, I Hope -

OK, here's how I'm finally getting the broadcasts and catching up on the stuff I missed yesterday.
    • Go to nbcolympics.com.
    • Click the "Explore Sports" drop down.
    • Click Shooting.
      • If required, click Save. Otherwise, you'll be forwarded directly to the shooting page on the same site.
    • Click Replays.
    • Click on one of the finals shown on the page.
      • You'll be forwarded directly to the event replay window at stream.nbcolympics.com. You have 30 minutes of free viewing time. To extend that,
    • Click "Sign in With Your Cable Provider".
      • You'll get a pop-up listing all the major cable providers.
    • Click on your provider.
      • If your credentials to log into your cable provider are saved in your browser, you'll get the stream.
      • If your credentials are not saved, you will get a dialog box to enter them.
      • If you don't know your cable provider login, go to their site, try to log in, fail, get everything re-set, then use those credentials to get back into the streams provided by NBC by going back to the top of this list and starting again.
    Enjoy.

Theoretically, once you've properly signed in on stream.nbcolympics.com, when you click the ISSF links I've provided multiple times in this thread you'll be taken directly to the event you're trying to watch. It worked that way for Robert last night and I'll confirm it as soon as I have a new, live event to view.

It's funny that the direct shooting-organization-to-event links don't work in the U.S. unless you've already signed up with NBC but that's the way it's set up. It's been that way in past Games, too. It is entirely my fault that I didn't remember that. None of the direct links made mention of the need for third-party credentials to get the streams so I wrongly got the impression that such nonsense had been abandoned.

I was wrong and I apologize to everyone for my oversight.

But this is my screen now and, boy, does this make me happy.

Screenshot from 2021-07-24 09-29-37.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nice looking air rifle range, ain't it?

Screenshot from 2021-07-24 09-35-44.png

It's too bad that the overhead scoring screens, put there for the benefit of the massive crowd that would usually fill the spectator stands, are going essentially unused. It must be really weird to compete at that level with almost no spectators.

Screenshot from 2021-07-24 09-39-42.png

Top Bottom