Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Trap - Mixed Team

I note that San Marino is doing pretty well in these Games.

Gold
    FERNANDEZ Alberto
    GALVEZ Fatima
    Spain

Silver
    BERTI Gian Marco
    PERILLI Alessandra
    San Marino

Bronze
    BURROWS Brian
    BERNAU Madelynn
    United States

Screenshot from 2021-08-01 15-03-08.png

I assume Brian Burrows made it to the medal ceremony even if he managed to miss the post-shoot photo op. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    These are the results thus far.

Remember, if the YouTube videos have you at all curious, you can go to NBCOlympics.com and, using your cable provider sign-in credentials, view the events in their entirety, including podium ceremonies. The YouTube videos, apparently in the interest of brevity, often don't provide any view of all the winners standing together.

Still to come - Men's 25m Rapid Fire Pistol and Men's 50m 3-Position Rifle.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If I wanted to see an event in it's entirety, I had to pay for a "premium" account.
    This is only true if you don't have cable TV of any sort. It is unfortunately true if you're a complete cord-cutter who operates without cable, getting everything over the 'net.

If I'm wrong about any of that, someone please correct me.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just checked the "peacock.com" site and all they have are 3 to 5 minute snippets of whatever your choice of sport is. Guess it's similar to what Ben can link to.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    This is only true if you don't have cable TV of any sort. It is unfortunately true if you're a complete cord-cutter who operates without cable, getting everything over the 'net.

If I'm wrong about any of that, someone please correct me.

Yup, I was watching on my Roku streaming device linked to the internet, so that I could watch on my TV. I have a laptop I can use for your links, but I wanted to see some events on a larger screen.

Correct, no cable, no Sat TV. Just OTA off the UHF translators here. We get all the legacy broadcast stations, but Olympic coverage has become so commercialized that I don't like the standard broadcast format, along with all the "backstory" they insist on.

Plus they never show the minor sports/comp/match that I am interested in... when was the last time they broadcast boxing?

Just checked the "peacock.com" site and all they have are 3 to 5 minute snippets of whatever your choice of sport is. Guess it's similar to what Ben can link to.

^^^ This is what I was talking about... the Roku takes me to the Peacock channel, which I think is the same as above.

Color me unwilling to pay NBC for Olympics.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    That's why I concentrated on putting up YouTube links for folks who want a taste of televised shooting sports without having to go to too much trouble.

Gonna check out a few of those links today after my chores.

Thx for your efforts/work!!!

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    It is very odd what they are showing. fencing ? badminton? is there really a big viewership for that ? They did have some boxing on. I guess anything but shooting.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Fencing and badminton are great sports to watch. I was exposed to both in college and those two sports will absolutely kick your ass, physically, as you learn them. Unfortunately I do everything slow and both those sports require quickness above all. I was terrible at both of them.

I don't begrudge other sports their time on broadcast media. I just wish there was more shooting. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Men's Smallbore 3-Position Rifle

I'm not surprised to see the Chinese take gold in any shooting sport. Shooting is a big deal over there with lots of broadcast coverage. They have a huge system of, essentially, farm teams to feed talent into their main program. That program is one of their most consistent contributors to their medal count.

1CHN
    ZHANG Changhong
    2ROC
    KAMENSKIY Sergey
    3SRB
    SEBIC Milenko

Screenshot from 2021-08-02 14-23-56.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's all the results for the "pure" shooting sports. Shooting is also a part of the Modern Pentathlon and I'll post some pictures and results from those events later in the week. In the meantime, tell me what you think so far. Has anyone watched any of this and found any of it interesting? Learn anything new or surprising?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Giving the thread a bump by noting that about half the YouTube links are now viewable as embedded videos. That should help some of you who view the forum via Tapatalk.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The last event with any shooting is Modern Pentathlon. As usual, that sport is a mess. The women's leader was completely knocked out of competition when her horse decided to balk at competing. For those who don't know, the riding part of Modern Pentathlon is done on a horse you're introduced to just 20 minutes before you compete. The horse assigned to the front-running woman had already refused to compete earlier yet was still assigned. There are videos up on YouTube and other places of this disaster and how the competitor became almost hysterical when she saw her life's hopes and dreams destroyed by one horse that just didn't feel like jumping that day.

So if you think the results don't look right, well, they don't.

In any event, we're mostly interested in the "Laser Run" portion of the event. Video replays of the Laser Runs are available on NBCOlympics.com. NBC didn't bother to put them on YouTube.

Final results for the women were:

Gold
    FRENCH Kate
    Great Britain

Silver
    ASADAUSKAITE Laura
    Lithuania

Bronze
    KOVACS Sarolta
    Hungary

Here's a picture of Kate French during her Laser Run, shooting from station 5. She ran fast and shot well, managing to move up 4 places to gold, even though she started in 5th place.

Screenshot from 2021-08-08 08-39-43.png

Final results for the men were:

Gold
    CHOONG Joseph
    Great Britain

Silver
    ELGENDY Ahmed
    Egypt

Bronze
    JUN Woong-Tae
    South Korea

And here's a picture of Joseph Choong shooting. Because he was the leader going into the Laser Run (which is the final event of the Modern Pentathlon), he's shooting from position 1. The lights above the station number illuminate red or green after each shot to tell the shooter and audience if the athlete has or has not scored a hit. None are lit because this is just prior to his first shot.

Screenshot from 2021-08-08 08-43-12.png

Here's a shot right after Joseph Choong finished his second round of shooting and has already left the firing line. Notice that he got 5 hits at station 1, picking up no penalties. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seeds behind him aren't doing as well. While he didn't exactly cruise to a victory, at this point Choong had to know he was going to win as long as he didn't do something massively stupid.

Screenshot from 2021-08-08 08-50-23.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's all the results for the "pure" shooting sports. Shooting is also a part of the Modern Pentathlon and I'll post some pictures and results from those events later in the week. In the meantime, tell me what you think so far. Has anyone watched any of this and found any of it interesting? Learn anything new or surprising?

Really enjoyed watching the vids, Ben. I won’t say that I learned much since Olympic shooting is a little removed from what is considered normal in many cases, but it was very interesting and enjoyable. Appreciate the time you put in to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom