Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    First, check the schedule here:

Once you've decided what you want to see, go to either of the two links below.

To watch the shooting events, mostly in their entirety, go to:

livestream.com/issf

I'm not showing that as a clickable link because, depending on how you're set up, livestream.com can sometimes throw up content that you weren't looking for. However, when the shooting is happening, that link will show most events in real time and will also archive the event so you can watch it at your convenience.

If you're really only interested in the finals, go to:

Both the NBC link and the issf-sports link may provide some information about when the events will appear on broadcast TV. However, my experience is that those segments are so buried, often in the middle of the night, that they're not worth chasing. I'll Tivo them if I can and I always enjoy them but, frankly, they're really not worth the trouble. NBC will also mention medal winners during their regular daily summaries but that's a 2-second blurb that's not worth trying to find.
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Side note - The Olympic shooting events are the only ones where men and women have, in the past, competed against each other in the same events. For political reasons, the sexes were separated decades ago. No damn reason for it, though. The entire history of the ISU and ISSF has shown that in the rifle and pistol events currently contested at the Olympics, neither gender has any advantage.

If the PC crowd really wanted to create parity between the sexes they would, at least for the rifle and pistol events, demand there be no segregation.

Fat chance. :(

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    I just got back from competing in pistol at Camp Perry. Olympian Keith Sanderson showed up since he was removed from the US team. Kinda cool to shoot against that level of a athlete. He was railroaded evidently in a bogus “sexual harassment” claim. He swatted a male friend on the butt. You know, good job man, kind of thing. But that got a pair of brothers on the team. So that’s cool right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I just got back from competing in pistol at Camp Perry. Olympian Keith Sanderson showed up
    He got drunk, stood on the podium and sang obscene lyrics while the national anthem played, and poked the guy next to him on the podium in the butt at the same time.

Yeah...I can see how he got suspended. The only thing too hinky about his suspension was that he made an ass of himself back in 2018. The suspension should have been imposed and over with a long time ago, enabling him to go to Tokyo.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    He got drunk, stood on the podium and sang obscene lyrics while the national anthem played, and poked the guy next to him on the podium in the butt at the same time.

Yeah...I can see how he got suspended. The only thing too hinky about his suspension was that he made an ass of himself back in 2018. The suspension should have been imposed and over with a long time ago, enabling him to go to Tokyo.

Well that’s an uglier picture than what I heard. Drunk? I can see it. There’s lots of drinking while not on the line. Errr or so I’ve heard, yeah I’ve heard that. lol.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    They will nationally broadcast stupid shiat like skatebording but IF you want to watch shooting sports its an exercise in link following no way that evil guns will make nationally televised portion.

F OFF Olympics.

I have more entertaining ways to be bored to death.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...to watch shooting sports its an exercise in link following no way that evil guns will make nationally televised portion.
    They always do, at least a little. In fact, every sport gets some televised coverage and they all wish they got more. I'm sure team handball feels they are slighted, too, even though that's a wonderful sport to watch.

There's no need to get all salty because your favorite sport isn't broadcast in a two-hour block, every night during primetime. Most people who watch the summer Games think that it's gymnastics, track and field, and one or two novelty sports. Broadcast TV doesn't really have the ability to show all the smaller stuff in depth and still successfully monetize their broadcasts.

IOW, thank God for the internet and the ability to chase links. Pre-internet, the broadcast coverage was even less and there was almost no place to go for video of an event unless you had access to the reference libraries maintained by governing bodies. I remember Games when I had to call the network and work my way through 20 idiots before I could find someone who could tell me that Rapid Fire Pistol would be broadcast at 2:47 AM...and then I had to stay up till 2:47 to watch the three minutes of coverage it got because VCRs were still so horribly expensive that I didn't have one yet.

If you want to watch Olympic shooting, it's easier than it's ever been. I find that a cause for celebration, not complaint.

If you don't want to watch, well, then...you do you. It's not up to me to voice a judgement.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Just make mention of the extra work required to watch an Olympic event that was it.

I wont be watching the Olympics for the simple fact I wont support any thing/ any one who does not support the country the allows them to do it.

Be one person on the team or all of them.

My choice.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What weapons are used other than air powered, and shotguns?
    Interesting question, Cam. You already have the answer but you should know that there's a big behind-the-scenes push to migrate all the rifle and pistol events to laser guns. Modern Pentathlon already uses them and their adoption was contentious as hell.

When I get back home to my keyboard, I'll post a few links and/or pictures.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...I wont support any thing/ any one who does not support the country the allows them to do it.

Be one person on the team or all of them.

My choice.
    It is absolutely your choice. 100% agreed.

But please enlighten me. Which member of USA Shooting has said or done anything that makes you think they don't support the USA?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What weapons are used other than air powered, and shotguns?
    As promised -

There are several (5, I think) trap and skeet events. I'll just assume you know what a nice competition shotgun looks like. Now cover it with stickers from previous competitions and you'll have an idea what the shotguns at the Olympics look like.

In the Modern Pentathlon, the shooters do a sort of summer version of biathlon with laser pistols. IOW, they run 800 meters, stop and shoot five shots, and repeat several times. The pistols usually look something like this:

stredni-zbran_oranzova_02-jpg.235271

In the 50m Rifle 3 Positions where there are separate contests for men and women, the rifles put the lie to the notion that only ARs are Barbies for men because of all the accessories they can take. The rifles used in these events can be customized to a mind-boggling degree. You want a bolt knob that's a particular color? It's available off the shelf. Everything is infinitely adjustable and replaceable in various colors and materials. Some are wildly painted and some are pure, gleaming, polished aluminum.

So keep in mind that there are endless variations but the .22 LR rifles tend to start out looking something about like this:

010860_XL.JPG

There is a 10m Air Rifle event, separate for men and women. Their rifles tend to look a lot like the 3 Position cartridge rifles until you realize there's a big compressed air cylinder under the barrel. For example -

Screenshot from 2021-07-23 11-40-49.png

There's a 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event for men only. I think the Pardini is still the dominant player there but I'm not entirely sure. This is a new one. The ones at the Olympics will likely be covered with stickers from previous events.

producto-52-1.jpg

There's a 25m Pistol event for women, only. It's sort of a timed fire thing, with the pistol lowered 45 degrees before (almost?) every shot of the competition. They look about like the rapid fire pistols the men use. For example:

Screenshot from 2021-07-23 12-08-06.png

The 10m Air Pistol is shot separately for both men and women. The air pistols look like, well, air pistols. See what I mean about the stickers? :)

1624555781740.png

There are also men and women's mixed teams for air rifle and air pistol. The equipment is the same as for the individual events.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The shooting in Tokyo has already started. It's in the warm-up stages right now.

If you just want the scores/results, go here. It'll be Saturday morning before any event concludes and actually posts results.

If you want live video of the finals, go here and pay attention to the underlined, clickable links that are noted "Watch Live." Your first chance is coming up soon. The Women's Air Rifle final will be broadcast at 10:45 AM Saturday, Tokyo time.

That means if you want to watch it live, it'll be broadcasting at 8:45 PM Friday, Central Standard Time.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The time difference between Tokyo and Texas can be confusing. The ISSF has published a live broadcasting schedule for various locations around the world in local time. The closest we have is New York, so our broadcasts will be one hour earlier than shown below. Yeah, I know I could have done the conversions but I figure everyone reading this has enough functioning brain cells to read the dates and times and do it for themselves. I pray no one proves me wrong. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Shooting Sports - NEW YORK TIME, GMT-4:00
    • FRIDAY, 23.07
      • 21:45-Final 10m Air Rifle Women
    • SATURDAY, 24.07
      • 02:30-Final 10m Air Pistol Men
      • 22:15-Final 10m Air Pistol Women
    • SUNDAY, 25.07
      • 02:30-Final 10m Air Rifle Men
    • MONDAY, 26.07
      • 01:50-Final Skeet Women
      • 02:50-Final Skeet Men