• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have been looking at a Puma lever-action in .454 Cassull. They are made by Howa-Legacy. I don't really know anything about them, so, what do you guys know or think about them in regards to fit/function/quality/accuracy?

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I'm pretty sure it's all BrazTech International, Brazilian, imported by various companies such as EMF, Hartford, LSI, Rossi, and maybe more. IIRC, EMF will sell directly to the public. Either way, double check my info as I'm not 100% on it.

I thought my M92 w/24" barrel, under the Rossi tag, was very accurate at 50 yards. I absolutely love this rifle. As for quality, it seems well built. However, I've only fired 300 or so rounds through it.

If you want a copy of the catalog and price list EMF sent me, pm me with an email address and I'll forward it. EMF also has "blemished" models for sale at a discount

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    I've owned and shot a stainless Puma 454 IMPORTED by Legacy for several years. It is made by Rossi, and is no longer imported by Legacy since Taurus is now importing them directly under the Rossi name. Legacy no longer has the 454 in their catalog this year as a result.

This is a terrific rifle. Mine has the 20" barrel and Hi-viz sights. Fit & finish are decent. Recoil is tolerable with the butt pad. It works best with 454 brass, or 45 colt loaded long. If you do shoot 45 colt's through one, be sure to clean the chamber before moving back to the 454 to avoid over pressure situations. More than accurate for 50-75 yards... which is my limit with open sights and aging eyes. For a hand loader the options with the rifle run the gamut from cowboy loads to full power loads nearing the 45-70 in performance. All of this in a handy, 92 style lever action. It is IMHO the best brush gun made, hands down.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I've owned and shot a stainless Puma 454 IMPORTED by Legacy for several years. It is made by Rossi, and is no longer imported by Legacy since Taurus is now importing them directly under the Rossi name. Legacy no longer has the 454 in their catalog this year as a result.

This is a terrific rifle. Mine has the 20" barrel and Hi-viz sights. Fit & finish are decent. Recoil is tolerable with the butt pad. It works best with 454 brass, or 45 colt loaded long. If you do shoot 45 colt's through one, be sure to clean the chamber before moving back to the 454 to avoid over pressure situations. More than accurate for 50-75 yards... which is my limit with open sights and aging eyes. For a hand loader the options with the rifle run the gamut from cowboy loads to full power loads nearing the 45-70 in performance. All of this in a handy, 92 style lever action. It is IMHO the best brush gun made, hands down.

Bud's has the stainless .454 in 16" and 20" barrels. I would use it as a brush gun, so it's nice to hear you say that. Do you have any thoughts of about the 16" vs 20" barrel? I like the idea of the 16" for being compact, and I'm not sure the 20" would really aid in accuracy besides giving me a longer sight radius. I already shoot a Cassull, so I won't have to add another caliber to the safe....which is something I try to limit.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I was looking at a Rossi 92 this weekend at Gander Mountain, I thought the safety was a little flimsy, anyone have some thoughts on that?

The safety was an after thought and added for the American market, iirc. It's cheesy, not 100% sure mine even works, and will have it removed and replaced with a plug.

If you have Steve Gunz work on your gun, be sure you get on the list as soon as you can. He has a 4-6 month waiting list.

philbo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Houston
    Do you have any thoughts of about the 16" vs 20" barrel?

Having owned a 16" 357 Rossi lever action before, I have to admit I like the length/balance of the setup. The 16" wasn't an option when I purchased, or it would have received serious consideration. The only option that would be a must for me are the Hi-Viz sights... if both the 16" and the 20" were stainless with the HV option, I'd probably choose the 16". Any lose of velocity would be negligible in this cartridge and the 16" platform provides plenty of sight radius. If I could only get the HV on the 20", then that would be the clincher.

As concerns the safety... don't use it and can't comment on it. It's been disabled since I bought my rifle, just haven't gotten around to replacing it with a plug yet.

Top Bottom