• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    I posted this on CHL forum but I thought I'd go here as well.... If you read both, NO, you're not seeing double...... :)

I've been using the Howard Leight Sport for a couple years but have never really liked them.

Has anyone got anything positive/negative to say about these muffs?
    Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

They have a rating of 30. All the other competitors that have this kind of rating cost $250-$500.

For example, Peltor makes these at NRR 26 for $200.00.
    www.amazon.com/3M-SV-Tactical-Hearing-Protector/dp/B0006968YM/ref=sr_1_15?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1387808193&sr=1-15&keywords=electronic+earmuffs

26 isn't bad but remember that the dB scale is logarithmic so a difference of 4dB cuts the sound by more than half.

Pro-Ears make one with NRR30 but they retail for $340. Amazon dealers want $260.00
    Pro Ears | NRR 30 | Hearing Protection for Shooters | Pro Mag Gold Black | GS-DPM-B

These are quite a bit lighter at 13.5 oz. The HL model is 1.2 lbs (19.20z.)

For $190.00 of savings, I can deal with 6 oz.

Just wondering if anyone has these and how they work.
    ARJ Defense ad

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Im with you, I bought some of the sports a while back and haven't really been able to get into them. I do like that they are a much slimmer profile than regular ear muffs but they don't seem to react fast enough to gun shots near by. I wear surefire sonic defenders under them to help with hours on the firing line but they seem to let a lot of muzzle blast through IMO. Ive been contemplating going the custom ear plug route myself.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't own a pair, but I've tried several different ones and don't like them either. Gunshots still seem really loud. I bet they would be nice for when you're sitting in the tree stand, tho.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have just non-electronic NRR30 earmuffs, but I don't like the way how difficult it is to talk to my wife when she asks me a question about the guns. I'm going to buy 2 pair right after Christmas. The way we're doing it now is not safe in my opinion. What if she mistakes something I said?

Thanks again!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have the Impact Pro on my wish list. They seem to have good reviews at Amazon. They made us use the cheaper Impact Sport when we did our range qualification for the CHL. I think they are only rated at NRR 22. I could hear the commands well, with them, and they are very slim profile, so might work better for rifle shooting. But, as far as noise suppression, the Impact Sport left a slight ringing in my ears. They aren't quite good enough for me. I'm hoping the Impact Pro will work better as far as the noise suppression goes.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    Thanks for putting this out here. I'm needing a new set of muffs, and have been looking at electronic types. Like no2gates, I hate how it's difficult to converse with standard types. I may have to get a set. The reviews look good.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I don't own a pair, but I've tried several different ones and don't like them either. Gunshots still seem really loud. I bet they would be nice for when you're sitting in the tree stand, tho.

I thought the same till I pulled one side off my ear and about blew my ear drum out. You dont realize just how quiet they are.

TdDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Houston
    Well, I bought a pair for my son and myself. I must say that they work fantastic. It is so nice to not have to double up. I did have to double up when Robert was shooting his "hand cannon" steroid induced 9mm last night, but for normal operation, including rifles at Spring Guns last week, these dudes cannot be beat.

One pair I purchased new but the other was used. I'm not sure why anyone would want to give these up but there you go.

Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

Top Bottom