• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Man_from_Michigan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2012
    Texas Hill Country
    I will be moving down to Texas in a few weeks. The wife is flying down there (we are currently staying in Delaware, and I have to stay here with my boys) in a few days and she will be looking at 3 houses for us to move into. We will be renting at first to get established, and then see what happens. Our main reason for coming to Texas is the wife's new job. That job is in Stephenville, so one of the houses is in this city. The other two houses are in Dublin, and Lipan. Each of the houses have a perk or two different than the other, and we have many pics of each house we have looked at for a week now. Along with emailing the owners with many questions.

We have looked at the demographics for all 3 cities, schools, stores, banks, neighborhoods, etc. I have some parts I like about this house or that house.... and the wife has the same. It comes down to looking at the houses in person, and seeing stuff in person. Something I can't do is.....be there! I trust my wife to make the best decision for us. But I thought it would be nice to get some feedback on folks that actually live IN....or near, these cities. I grew up in a very small town, so I understand what it's like to live in a place like Lipan. The wife doesn't. I suppose what I would like to know from you guys, and girls, is well, about anything you can regarding life in these areas.

Any input, good, bad or what have ya, will be greatly appreciated!!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I will be moving down to Texas in a few weeks. The wife is flying down there (we are currently staying in Delaware, and I have to stay here with my boys) in a few days and she will be looking at 3 houses for us to move into. We will be renting at first to get established, and then see what happens. Our main reason for coming to Texas is the wife's new job. That job is in Stephenville, so one of the houses is in this city. The other two houses are in Dublin, and Lipan. Each of the houses have a perk or two different than the other, and we have many pics of each house we have looked at for a week now. Along with emailing the owners with many questions.

We have looked at the demographics for all 3 cities, schools, stores, banks, neighborhoods, etc. I have some parts I like about this house or that house.... and the wife has the same. It comes down to looking at the houses in person, and seeing stuff in person. Something I can't do is.....be there! I trust my wife to make the best decision for us. But I thought it would be nice to get some feedback on folks that actually live IN....or near, these cities. I grew up in a very small town, so I understand what it's like to live in a place like Lipan. The wife doesn't. I suppose what I would like to know from you guys, and girls, is well, about anything you can regarding life in these areas.

Any input, good, bad or what have ya, will be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to Texas and to the area. I have lived in Granbury, just up the road, for 25 years. I don't know a lot about the areas, but will share what I do know.

Lipan is a VERY small town. Had some issues with school bonds a couple years ago, IIRC. Something about a gym, shoddy workmanship and a crooked contractor left the ISD holding the bag. Not sure of all the details, but it's something to look at and ask about.

Dublin is a great little town. Larger than Lipan, but still a small town. Dublin is South of Stephenville, putting it 2 solid hours from any "major" city like Ft. Worth. That might not be an issue, but it's worth noting. And it no longer bottles REAL Dr. Pepper ...

Stephenville ... pretty good sized place, but still has a small town feel to it. Has a really good school system and Tarleton is a highly regarded university.
    A Michigan accent will make you stand out in a crowd, in Stephenville. LOL

I like the area ...
    enough rain to keep things reasonably green for most of the summer
    Only hot for a couple months out of the year. July and august can be brutal.
    mild, mild winters ... 1 or 2 ice/sleet/snow storms a year and only last a day or two. Jacket weather only.
    rolling terrain
    decent infrastructure
    no recent alien sightings ... CNN News -- Stephenville, Texas UFO Reports, Larry King Clip - YouTube

Good luck hunting and have a safe move.

Top Bottom