HPD rejects immigration screening

Discussion in 'Houston' started by Madhouse, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Madhouse

Madhouse Active Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
  2. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    We only enforce laws we like...

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Did you read the article? Non-Federal LEOs cannot enforce federal law. There IS a mechanism whereby local agencies can deputize their sworn officers to enforce IMMIGRATION laws. Without such an agreement in place, there are no laws to not enforce.

The rest of it has nothing to do with enforcing immigration laws, and everything to do with politics.

4. Rudinater

Rudinater New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    Seabrook

Bank robbery is a federal crime, I guess non-federal LEO can't arrest bank robbers:headscratch:

LAW ENFORCEMENT is just that law enforcement. The police run every auto tag they can, every people that get questioned get their ID ran. I see immigration screening fitting in with the other two.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas peace officers arrest bank robbers for violations of the Texas Penal Code, such as aggravated robbery, theft, robbery, etc.

Texas Peace Officers cannot enforce federal law.

It is not a violation of state law to be an illegal immigrant. THAT is why under federal law an agency can deputize officers to enforce immigration.

6. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Is there a particular reason that Texas doesn't has some kind of law against illegal immigration?

I mean, how else are we gonna keep the yankees out. : /