Huffines for Texas Governor?

Sasquatch

Well-Known
Apr 20, 2020
Magnolia
Factions in Texas have tried eliminating property tax for many sessions, didn't fly. What would replace it? Income tax? Increase sales tax?

Wouldn't that require another amendment to the state constitution? If I'm not mistaken, Texas amended its constitution years ago to prohibit a state income tax.

No one likes taxes, but if we are to have public utilities/services/infrastructure, the money has to come from somewhere. A 25% sales tax would be DOA - I think even bumping to 10% statewide would be DOA.

You can't make money out of thin air unless you're the FedGov, so where does the money come from? You could slap a gross receipts tax on businesses, and watch businesses shutter and flee the state. You could start coming up with chippy, retarded fees for every damn thing under the sun. You could toll literally every farm road, state highway, express way, and Interstate highway and still not make enough. You could make public services subscription based... You want the fire department to come? Guess what, pay $20 a month for every 1/4 acre you own, or we don't come. That'd go over like a shit sammich.

Property taxes are about the only way, outside a personal income tax, to generate the kind of revenue necessary to maintain public education and infrastructure. I'd say a lot of government services could be cut/slashed/privatized, but probably won't be.

You don't want a state income tax, because then you instantly jump to California level taxation.

wiredgeorge

Dec 10, 2010
Mico TX
My point was, that this Huffines says things that sound good but make little sense to me. I think everyone should get a watermelon and $.05 cigar if they vote for him but wonder who pays for that? I listened to Tony Gonzales and Ted Cruz in a phone town hall meeting last night. They answered every question in the same way. First a pandering and attempt at empathy... "yes, I understand what you are going through and here is the situation". Never an answer about what THEY were going to do about any situation. Cruz was slicker than Gonzales but neither had any definitive course of action on any topic (mostly about the border situation). Then they blamed our beloved President for EVERYTHING and who can argue with that but I already knew who was responsible for the chaos in our country and didn't need to hear them attempt at empathy by hashing out the problem and not a solution.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
Anyone who think any other GOV would not have had lockdowns is kidding themselves.

I’ll say the same thing I said this time last year; Abbott painted himself into a corner, politically speaking by setting up idiotic rules and then smugly saying “Good job” to the cities and counties when they figured out how to do whatever they wanted.

Abbot had it right in the beginning: there’s 254 counties and they each needed to make their own decisions. The state needed to be a supporting agency, not a dictative one. When the citizenry didn’t like it, he could truthfully say “Recall those bastards”.

It boils my blood every time this topic comes up. If you don’t recall, here’s the specifics.

Abbot can choke on a donkey dick.

Last edited:

popper

Well-Known
Apr 23, 2013
Wouldn't that require another amendment to the state constitution
Yup, that's the way our constitution is written, Long ago the Dems made most state LAW in Texas effectively go through the Constitution.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
Jan 13, 2017
Jarrell TX, United States
I'll admit, Dr. Paul's endorsement is going a LONG way towards making me think of voting for Huffines in the primary.

1627420168566.png

Renegade

SuperOwner
Mar 5, 2008
Texas
Huffines won his Senate seat in 2014 running unopposed. In 2018, he had a democratic opponent, and as a sitting incumbent he lost.

That is his entire political career.

And folks think this guy can win statewide? Seriously? A guy whose only win occurred when nobody was running against him....

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Forum statistics

Threads