• ...and so much more!
  • ETH77

ZAP Rules
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2008
    Houston
    2# Angus stew beef, caraway, diced tomatoes, 1/2 onion, small red potatoes, sweet Hungarian paprika, hot Hungarian paprika, salt, pepper, bacon fat to brown the beef, water. 6 hours in slow cooker.
    ARJ Defense ad

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    If you want to improve the recipe and turn it from potato soup into real goulash, dump the veggies (and tomatoes), add onion (rule of thumb is 1 onion per pound of beef) and don't skimp on the sweet paprika.
    Pro tip: use dark beer instead of water. You'll thank me! ;)
    And serve with sliced dumplings.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Goulash is an interesting dish. Growing up in my family, it was essentially spaghetti but with elbow macaroni. I was an adult before I learned what we call "goulash" isn't really goulash, and that there are many types of "real" goulash depending on where in eastern Europe the cook traces their lineage from.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Goulash is one of those dishes where there are about a thousand different recipe's for.

I use a variation of the one my step-mother use to make.

Very similar to this one.

This is very similar to what my grandma made, and what I know as goulash from a kid. Cowboy Kent is one of my cooking heros, such a wealth of info! Too bad he's an Oklahoman and not a Texan :laughing:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    This is very similar to what my grandma made, and what I know as goulash from a kid. Cowboy Kent is one of my cooking heros, such a wealth of info! Too bad he's an Oklahoman and not a Texan :laughing:
    He lives close enough to the Texas border that he's almost a Texan!

I just found his channel this year on YouTube and absolutely love his channel. He cooks food that I like to eat, and similar to how my grandmother and step-mother cooked. And I'm finding some different techniques that I like trying out.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Damnit @Axxe55 - this made me hungry for goulash. That required a trip to the store because we didn't have any ground beef or paprika. I've got a dutch oven full of the stuff simmering on the stove now. I basically made Cowboy Kent's - except I used Worchestershire sauce instead of soy, and I added sliced fresh mushrooms that I sauteed in with the onions, because I love mushrooms. Also used Texa-roni instead of regular elbow mac.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    KPhp1LP.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Damnit @Axxe55 - this made me hungry for goulash. That required a trip to the store because we didn't have any ground beef or paprika. I've got a dutch oven full of the stuff simmering on the stove now. I basically made Cowboy Kent's - except I used Worchestershire sauce instead of soy, and I added sliced fresh mushrooms that I sauteed in with the onions, because I love mushrooms. Also used Texa-roni instead of regular elbow mac.

Well double dammit! You made me me hungry by making it now! That looks pretty danged good too!

Well done Sasquatch, well done!

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

He does business in Texas, though.....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Tomatoes, potatoes, caraway seeds and bacon fat in Hungarian goulash????????????????? That must be a Texas version. Sorry but I have to say it turns my stomach to think of those things in goulash but to each their own tastes I suppose.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Tomatoes, potatoes, caraway seeds and bacon fat in Hungarian goulash????????????????? That must be a Texas version. Sorry but I have to say it turns my stomach to think of those things in goulash but to each their own tastes I suppose.
    Maybe you don't know what traditional Hungarian goulash is.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Wow talk about a huge difference from the crap the lunch lady dumped on us as kids! What I remember looked like the wash out of a Chef Boyardee ravioli production run, that I pictured being served out of a galvanized trash can!

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I convinced my wife to have "stew" tonight - so I'm making the more Hungarian form of Goulash tonight - not putting pasta in this one, its beef cubes, cooked in onions and garlic, 3 heaping teaspoons of paprika to start, some salt & black pepper, and this one has potatoes - small new potatoes and a mix of small assorted fancy potatoes, plus carrots and peppers. It was inspired by one of the other recipes posted up by Axxe a few posts up. Its simmering on the stove now...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I convinced my wife to have "stew" tonight - so I'm making the more Hungarian form of Goulash tonight - not putting pasta in this one, its beef cubes, cooked in onions and garlic, 3 heaping teaspoons of paprika to start, some salt & black pepper, and this one has potatoes - small new potatoes and a mix of small assorted fancy potatoes, plus carrots and peppers. It was inspired by one of the other recipes posted up by Axxe a few posts up. Its simmering on the stove now...
    Careful there! I may put you to work making goulash when you come to visit!

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    He does business in Texas, though.....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
    Drat! I have been to Wellington a dozen times or so but never saw Kent Rollins place. Now, I have to make a special trip as there is a dearth of places that make goulash.

Top Bottom