• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Hunter Extravaganza is coming to Houston this weekend and will be in Ft Worth and San Antonio the next couple of weekends. Who is going to attend?
    Gun Zone Deals

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Will they have someone selling beef jerky? Perhaps someone who will offered to clean my glasses?
    I'm just kidding, but I'm not familiar with that venue.
    Is it similar to a gun show, or more of a venue for outfitters to offer services?

Lonesome Dove beat me to the punch. I liked in the past not just visiting some outfitters and seeing who is new but also the celebrities that show up and give autographs with the last one was kendall Jones and the American Hogger families.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I've been attending for many years now and as said before most vendors are high dollar high fence hunts and high dollar toys and blinds. There are some really good average hunter vendors though and I really like seeing whats new. I've been a member of the Texas Trophy Hunters organization for 10 years and this is their big event, so I like to attend. The year before last I walked by the Ruger Firearms booth and low and behold there, sitting on one of the couches they had there, was my Handgun Hunting Mentor Larry Weishuhn. I stopped to say hello and thank him for getting me started and we ended up talking about handgun hunting for over an hour. He was a really cool guy and just as down to earth as you and I. The year before they had a guy who would teach young children to instinctively shoot a rifle, using Red Ryder BB guns that had no sights installed. By the time he was finished with them, several could shoot Bayer Aspirin out of the air with ease. They have archery ranges, and many other entertaining booths as well. It's a great way to spend a day with all kinds of bells and whistles available to fondle and even purchase. I've been to the DFW and San Antonio shows but they don't compare to the Houston show in my humble opinion.

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I've been attending for many years now and as said before most vendors are high dollar high fence hunts and high dollar toys and blinds. There are some really good average hunter vendors though and I really like seeing whats new. I've been a member of the Texas Trophy Hunters organization for 10 years and this is their big event, so I like to attend. The year before last I walked by the Ruger Firearms booth and low and behold there, sitting on one of the couches they had there, was my Handgun Hunting Mentor Larry Weishuhn. I stopped to say hello and thank him for getting me started and we ended up talking about handgun hunting for over an hour. He was a really cool guy and just as down to earth as you and I. The year before they had a guy who would teach young children to instinctively shoot a rifle, using Red Ryder BB guns that had no sights installed. By the time he was finished with them, several could shoot Bayer Aspirin out of the air with ease. They have archery ranges, and many other entertaining booths as well. It's a great way to spend a day with all kinds of bells and whistles available to fondle and even purchase. I've been to the DFW and San Antonio shows but they don't compare to the Houston show in my humble opinion.
    That is what makes it fun about attending is meeting the hunting gurus and experts and getting a chance to converse and get more pointers. My only concern is that I am not seeing too much of them coming and wondering if there is a lack of interest or THTA is getting cheap on who they have come to their venue.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I've been attending for many years now and as said before most vendors are high dollar high fence hunts and high dollar toys and blinds.
    So clue in a maybe somewhat clueless New York transplant. What is a high fence hunt? Is that when you pay to hunt a private property game reserve for exotic species where they have those fences that seem to be like 20 feet tall or taller. I saw fences like that years ago on a drive through TX when I was on a work assignment here and wondered what was their purpose, then read up on them a bit back then. I never much liked the idea of the shooting fish (or anything else) in a barrel sort of thing. I must say I once took my son to hunt bear in Maine over bait. There were no fences but even that wound up being somewhat distasteful to me when we actually did it (I was an observer not a hunter). I have to admit though, the bear he shot tasted excellent but we never did that again.

We, or at least I, probably never will hunt on property on which they basically corral game for people to shoot. I can see hunting upland game birds on a preserve where they release birds into the wild but hunting fenced in critters and usually ones also over bait, something like a deer or a sheep or hogs or whatever, makes it seem to me less than the thing to do. Shooting a caged animal simply seems not right to me - no matter how big the cage. Yet, I guess others like it because at one time it seemed to be a big business here in TX and elsewhere and maybe it still is big money. When folks brag about their hunting prowess thought after having hunted and shot scores or even hundreds of deer over bait while inside cages, I feel sorry for them and their massive egos in as much as they evidently lack actual hunting skills.To think they hold shows for such hunting seems abhorrent to me. Then again, to each there own I suppose. That of course all based on whether or not I understand high fence hunts correctly.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Good fences, makes good neighbors!

There are high fences in Africa as well! RSA has brought the White Rhino back having them behind fences. Many of the high fenced areas contains huge amount of land. How many hectares of land do you think are need for a herd of Cape Buffalo? Do you want to guess for lions too?

The same can be said in regards to High Fences in Texas. You willing to let Joe Methbilly come on you property & shoot something that can earn thousands of dollars? A lot of selective breeding going on behind the fences. Exotics in Texas are livestock. Very few ranchers let their prize bull wonder around unfenced. Any clue how high an American Bison can jump? 6 foot is the correct answer. I have a buddy with high fence bordering their place with elk. Needles to say they have elk that have cleared the high fence.

Reactions: MTA

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    You definitely have a grasp of what it’s about. Right or wrong it is big business here. Most of the places are very large ranches that, because of their size are almost considered free range.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Good fences, makes good neighbors!

There are high fences in Africa as well! RSA has brought the White Rhino back having them behind fences. Many of the high fenced areas contains huge amount of land. How many hectares of land do you think are need for a herd of Cape Buffalo? Do you want to guess for lions too?

The same can be said in regards to High Fences in Texas. You willing to let Joe Methbilly come on you property & shoot something that can earn thousands of dollars? A lot of selective breeding going on behind the fences. Exotics in Texas are livestock. Very few ranchers let their prize bull wonder around unfenced. Any clue how high an American Bison can jump? 6 foot is the correct answer. I have a buddy with high fence bordering their place with elk. Needles to say they have elk that have cleared the high fence.
    High fences for deer is BS. As far as a high fence keeping Rhino, Bison or even Elk in is ridiculous. You ever seen what an average bull can do to a game fence? Deer are the property of the people of the State and should be allowed to migrate and roam as they see fit.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    High fences for deer is BS. As far as a high fence keeping Rhino, Bison or even Elk in is ridiculous. You ever seen what an average bull can do to a game fence? Deer are the property of the people of the State and should be allowed to migrate and roam as they see fit.
    You know what else is bullshit, being able to buy a completely processed & packaged elk from an indian for less the the cost of an out of state licenses! I'll tell you something else that's bullshit the part of my post of exotics being livestock! Native game are the property of the people of the state of Texas.

The property owners of Texas take more then a bit of offense when someone from out of state start telling us hows its done! What part of New Mexico are you in Taos?

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You know what else is bullshit, being able to buy a completely processed & packaged elk from an indian for less the the cost of an out of state licenses! I'll tell you something else that's bullshit the part of my post of exotics being livestock! Native game are the property of the people of the state of Texas.

The property owners of Texas take more then a bit of offense when someone from out of state start telling us hows its done! What part of New Mexico are you in Taos?
    Let see if I have enoughTexas roots for you. I was raised in Texas since I was 10 months old. My self and eight of my family are Ags. Two unfortunately are Tea Sips. We own about 350 acres in TX. My two best friends either own or manage 350 sections out here in West TX. My CHL/ LTC is from TX. The only reason I reside in NM is due to the greenery ( my wife is a Central TX girl. )The only reason I’m still here is when my Dad died 34 years ago I stayed to look after my Mom. ( looking after family and friends is something I learned be raised in TX.). Taos……nice sking. Oh. Most my family is in TX and I primarily work in TX.

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Your land, your money, your fence. Anyone that doesn't like it is free to buy their own land and do with it as they please. As far as not being able to fence elk.....I know of several HF folks that'd tell you you don't know what you're talkin' about....but whatever.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Your land, your money, your fence. Anyone that doesn't like it is free to buy their own land and do with it as they please. As far as not being able to fence elk.....I know of several HF folks that'd tell you you don't know what you're talkin' about....but whatever.
    My deer. Oh, you can fence Elk. After spending 10 of thousand dollars on Bull Elk, my friend spent 10 of thousands more building stronger high fence to keep them in. You can build a fence to constrain any breed of animal. I’ve built “ Buffalo “ fence for folks…… hell for stout.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Let see if I have enoughTexas roots for you. I was raised in Texas since I was 10 months old. My self and eight of my family are Ags. Two unfortunately are Tea Sips. We own about 350 acres in TX. My two best friends either own or manage 350 sections out here in West TX. My CHL/ LTC is from TX. The only reason I reside in NM is due to the greenery ( my wife is a Central TX girl. )The only reason I’m still here is when my Dad died 34 years ago I stayed to look after my Mom. ( looking after family and friends is something I learned be raised in TX.). Taos……nice sking. Oh. Most my family is in TX and I primarily work in TX.
    Your roots are in the right place! Not quite sure why your property rights are so different then most? Of what I have seen of West Texas there wasn’t much if any high fences!

I have seen we’re many land owner next to high fenced properties benefit from free ranging exotics on their properties.

I have noticed that there is more high fences going in then ever. The good fences make good neighbors is stronger today then back when the term was coined!

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Your roots are in the right place! Not quite sure why your property rights are so different then most? Of what I have seen of West Texas there wasn’t much if any high fences!

I have seen we’re many land owner next to high fenced properties benefit from free ranging exotics on their properties.

I have noticed that there is more high fences going in then ever. The good fences make good neighbors is stronger today then back when the term was coined!
    I am against fencing of “ natural “ game ( mainly White tail. ) If you purchase ( say Elk or Muleys they are like livestock and they are yours. I have a good friend close to Fort Stockton who has done just that.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I am against fencing of “ natural “ game ( mainly White tail. ) If you purchase ( say Elk or Muleys they are like livestock and they are yours. I have a good friend close to Fort Stockton who has done just that.
    Fort Stockton ain’t been thru there in half a lifetime! The whitetails that are behind high fence genetically are for the most part not native too.

I believe the only native animal that are not fenced, and have anti fencing measure on their side are pronghorn.

Top Bottom