Hunting a drainage ditch

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by Dust, May 29, 2009.

1. Dust

Dust Active Member

When I was a kid we used to bring our air guns down to the drainage ditches and shoot at whatever was down there. As a kid, anything was okay, but now that I am grown-up, I don't know if it is legal or not. Anyone know if it is legal? I would guess it is public property, but I don't know for sure. Who would I contact?

You can see it here

33°50'29.29"N
    98°38'14.60"W

2. When I was a kid there was not PETA, not as many liberal's and as long as you weren't shooting out widows with a bb gun you were good to go.

3. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    Your county appraisal district.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

Figures they outlaw spanking (well, more like frown on) now that I'm a grown up too.

5. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Same here. That's why I make sure my 10 yr. old daughter always has plenty of targets (coke cans, clay targets, water balloons, etc.) when I let her shoot her BB gun in the back yard or at the deer lease.:2cents:

6. redbeard

redbeard New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I did the same thing growing up in Weslaco. Lots of rabbits along those drainage ditches. I would even walk downtown Weslaco and shoot pigeons out of palm trees in front of stores on Texas Blvd. Dont think you could get away with that now.

7. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009

wow! that sounds like loads of fun

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Yep, lots of stuff we did as kids can no longer be enjoyed. It's really too bad.

9. Sniper John

Sniper John Member

Aug 22, 2009
    North Texas
    Public or private, you would have to find out who owns it to get permission. If it is public, there are probably some written rules by whoever the controlling authority of the land is. Not worth the risk if you do not know. Risking "hunting without permission" and "tresspassing with a weapon" as examples. If I am hunting up a landowner, I just ask the persons living closest to the land I am inquiring about.