DK Firearms

Hunting Ethics, Etiquette, and "other" Behavior. . . . . . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I just saw from the hog hunting thread that we still have many misbehaving "hunters". We have all seen these guys; riding around a ranch all night with lights, shooting anything moving, blasting gate locks, leaving pastures open, trashing the fields, etc. I want to be far, far away from those fellows. Years ago, I hunted with a bunch from a hospital and a bank in West Texas. Many bad actors, immature idiots. Several times, I had to go to a landowner, tell him what happened, and pay for the damages they had caused, just to keep peace. This always got a good response from the landowner and many times got me invited back. I took care of 250 head of Herefords for Daddy while I was in high school, so I understand the problems. It seems that some nice, reasonable fellows become raving idiots when they have something to drink and a rifle ! Finally, I got to where I just wanted to hunt, my Son & I, alone. Many smaller ranches will make a deal to let a reasonable person hunt, for a fee, even if they normally "don't take hunters". Occasionally one can get a free hunt, if a landowner is approached correctly. One good entrée, if you are a pilot, is to take the rancher or his foreman up for an air inspection of his ranch facilities. I can learn the ranch while he is doing this. $75.00 of aviation fuel can buy a good welcome and make a friend. I was raised to take good care of other folks' property. Fifty years ago, all it took to "find a place" was to knock on the door, introduce yourself, and ask. Please comment on your experiences.
    Military Camp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    We were raised to leave it better than what you found it and God help you if you didn't. Pops always says they ain't making anymore dirt boys so take care of what we got!! And it was/is known you only drink after the hunt and guns are put up. Then the German would come out in him and the stories flowed all night and still do!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    We were raised to leave it better than what you found it and God help you if you didn't. Pops always says they ain't making anymore dirt boys so take care of what we got!! And it was/is known you only drink after the hunt and guns are put up. Then the German would come out in him and the stories flowed all night and still do!

Sounds like the kind of camp fire I wish I could have sat around.

And contrary to popular belief, guns and alcohol mix very well - but only in that order.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Used to have a group at work that would get together and lease some place that was cheap so we'd have a place to hunt. Often meant fixing gates, patching the road, etc. and we did leave the place better than we found it. But I can't count the times we had poachers, people who were allowed to use the gate but forgot the key to THEIR lock and just rammed the gate with a truck to get through, people that stole our stuff, etc. There were some loggers on part of one property and one of them threatened me with a chainsaw. (He saw the error of his ways - I'll leave it at that.) I shot a deer early one morning and as I went to find it, there was a truck parked in the thick brush with a woman asleep in a little camper on the back. Her husband was hunting (probably poaching) on a nearby property an decided that was a good place to leave her. There are times when you wonder how some people feed themselves.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Fifty years ago, all it took to "find a place" was to knock on the door, introduce yourself, and ask. Please comment on your experiences.
    That still works but it helps to be either young or old. When we go knocking on doors looking for a place to shoot prairie dogs my buddy's dad is our chief negotiator. It's hard to say no to a jovial old man ;)

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    We were raised to leave it better than what you found it and God help you if you didn't.

This. Absolutely.

I have a "friendly ghost" mentality. Generally I show up, hunt, and vanish with no negative trace (destruction of any kind, husks or brass around, trash, etc.) If there is something that needs improvement within reason, I'll do it. I also walk fences, check gates, and generally just make sure the land is taken care of.

It may sound like Austin hippie talk... but if you take from the land, you should give back to it.

If I want to run around shooting all over for fun, then I'll shoot skeet, trap, or go to a friends property and make a racket. If I want to hunt, it's a completely different mindset. A hunter should be the apex predator, and act like it. An animal playing and an animal hunting have two completely different behaviors... we should as well.

As stated in the threat, a little respect and kindness can go a long way with people allowing you to use their land.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. My Father In Law has always been an avid quail hunter and built relationships with land owners for 50+ years. I am now enjoying the fruits of his success on this front. He's got about 5 different places within minutes of my house to do dove hunting. Treat the land owners with respect, give them something for their trouble (food, alcohol, whatever) and leave the place without 50 shotgun shells on the ground.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    When I was a kid, the closest farm owner to us allowed hunters in the area to hunt the fields, just as his father had. Most of the hunters had been doing this so long they had developed a sign up list that they used so the Farmer knew who was hunting and on what day(s). One year he found someone had drawn a target on the side of his tractor that was at the back of the field and used it for sighting in. The next day all the fields were posted no trespassing.

Top Bottom