• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    anybody a frequent user of this option - the public hunt draws, etc???

any experiences, good locations, bad, in-different?
    ARJ Defense ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've hunted wildlife managment areas. Free permit from the COE so the price is right. Downsides are no center fire rifle, bow and shotgun only, shot must be #4 or smaller, and in my area most accesible sites are over crowded. Those who take a deer are usually there 7 days a week, morning and evening. There was an area I considered hog hunting with a bow but didn't have the time to invest. I avoided the popular areas because I didn't trust that the other hunters were all safety concious. I like to think most were but it only take one to put an arrow in you cause the hear some brush rustling. They do raffles for a hunt at the state park and most everyone who wins gets a pretty nice deer.

What are you wanting to hunt?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The only thing I've hunted on State sponsored public lands and Corps Of Engineers lands is Doves. I've never had much luck with the early season though, as I refuse to deal with the opening day crowds and after a week into the early season, they've been shot at so much they usually fly 100 yards high. Late season (October) along with a cold front though brings some good action, without a lot of people.

For big game, deer et al, I think you're better off just paying the day rates on private leases, which can be found relatively inexpensively with high success rates.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    For the record, there are areas you can use center fire rifles and even rim fire. Caddo Grasslands being one you can use centerfire. Rimfire for squirrels is a more recent addition.

Downsides are no center fire rifle, bow and shotgun only, shot must be #4 or smaller, and in my area most accesible sites are over crowded.

Check the maps online. TPWD: Public Hunting - Dallas/Ft. Worth They list legal means for each area and what game and dates on most of the maps I have used. Here is the specific map for Caddo. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwil...able_contents/media/pwd_bk_w7000_0112a_63.pdf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ive hunted the COE federal property by Temple. And lots of areas around Belton Lake. As I was walking out the Temple one, after really crappy dove hunting. The Temple police met me at the fence. "Report of gun shots". This happen twice. They asked if I could shoot out there. I pointed to the sign and said, Yep. They then left.

Anyway, the only luck Ive had in any area by Belton lake. Was by Owl Creek. Just squirrel. You'd swear dove have a map to these areas and avoid them. Fort Hood dear hunting is a joke.

Every area I went to had the shotgun with shot only rule.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Nice to meet you. I was with the 89th police. Did my thing right after 9-11. I lived in Bell county for 36 years. From what I saw on Fort Hood. I'm sure the deer would be easy to hunt at night. Cause they glow and smell like wwII mustard gas.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i was there from 91-95 - with the CID

i dont know about the mustard gas but with all the training that goes on out there - i just think there are better places to hunt whitetail

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    i was there from 91-95 - with the CID

i dont know about the mustard gas but with all the training that goes on out there - i just think there are better places to hunt whitetail

jk, they have hog hunts around Waco for like $50 per hunter. Two hunter min. Check out the thrifty nickle. They sometimes list local hunts.

Top Bottom