• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tarheel7734

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Living in NC, but from Texas
    I have used both the tao1 nsn and m68 cco in my military career but never hunted animals and never used a 3x with the aimpoint. I like the idea of a dot for close and swing over mag if i need it, but what would you do? Doubt i would need a real scope in Texas.

Reaper277

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    I hunt mainly in East texas, I have a scope on a few hunting rifles and a few without. Just depends on what and where I'm hunting. All my buddies that hunt west Texas don't use anything without a scope.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What are you hunting?

If deer, you need to be angle to ID what it is and the type of rack.

A 1-4 or 1-6 won't do that. Even at east Texas distance. At least that's my thought

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    It doesn't sound like you have much deer hunting experience. To expand on what SC-TX said, Even if meat hunting, you need to be able to tell the difference between a cull buck and a young quality buck (the latter of which needs to be left to mature), or a button buck and a doe, etc. Your optics requirements will also be dictated by where you'll be hunting. Even hunting under feeders at 100 yards dictates at least 6x.

And by your question, it sounds like you plan on hunting with an AR? What caliber?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Please don't use a rifle scope to evaluate game. "Don't point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy". Use binos for that. If you can shoot 4 MOA with the scope it's plenty accurate for deer and hogs.

But a real scope is nice for getting precision hits.

Top Bottom