Hurricane Season: You can only take one handgun and one long gun...What do you take?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gcmj45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Houston Metro Area
    If I can only take one, I'm grabbing a Glock 19 or Glock 23 for my handgun. The long gun will most likely be one of my ARs.

The Glock 19/23 is a bit of a compromise but, it's small enough to be readily concealed if needed but, still offers twice the capacity of my 1911s or most of the capacity of a Glock 17/22. The Glock is a pretty well proven platform and it's something I can easily and readily service at the armorer level with nothing more than a simple punch to drive pins.

As much as I'd prefer to grab my FAL, the AR makes more sense to me. Because if it comes down to it, even in the middle of the current shortage, what ammo and parts are easiest to find? Like the Glock, the AR is easily serviced and in spite of all the drive toward tactical gucci, the direct impingement gas system actually does work even if it is more sensitive about maintenance than a piston driven system. Keep it wet, keep it clean, and it's a prom queen.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I have a drag bag that contains a shotgun w/50 00-buck, a high-caliber rifle w/500 rounds, a 10/22 w/1000 rounds, two Glock 19s w/250 rounds, small cleaning kit, a survival tin, camp knife, and a few mags for the rifles and pistols. The damn thing weighs a ton but it's manageable. We also have clothes, sleeping bags, two weeks worth of Mountain House dried foods and a couple of gallons of water in a container in the downstairs coat closet. If God forbid a twister should hit our area we will grab the drag bag, rush down into the closet, and pray.

Kadelic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Duncanville
    I live in the Dallas area so I wouldn't have to evacuate from a hurricane, but If I had to grab two guns and run in a hurry they would be My M&P 9c and my AR.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If a hurricane hits this far inland we've all got bigger things to worry about, but after a close call with a tornado a couple of weeks ago, my thinking's changed a little. Grabbing what's handy, including a spare if you already have one on your hip and some extra ammo is what sounded like the best idea at the time.

After the tornado, society didn't collapse, but had my house been leveled having a trusty sidearm with a holster and some ammo would have gone a long way. Especially these days when picking up ammo isn't as easy as just running to the store. Insurance can take care of the rest.

The storm shelter was worth far more than any AR or AK in times like that.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Hurricane Season: You can only take one handgun and one long gun...What do you

How times have changed! I say that 'cause the plan I had has been shot full of holes. Not too long ago The rifle grab would have been 22lr - I figured ammo resupply was as easy as driving through the glass wall at Academy or Wally's. Wouldn't do much past scratching up my paint these days.

But truth is, I'm grabbing everything but the safe if I'm actually evacuating. But you asked for a pick two.

My grabs - DW vbob and 460 Rowland MechTech Carbine, all the 45 I could comfortably carry plus a couple hundred rounds of 460 Rowland. Advantage carbine 'cause it's also effective on a diet of 45. But if you didn't pass me through a 2 gun limit checkpoint, check me for the 10/22 takedown and the Henry AR7 'cause they carry that easily.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Don't think I could abandon my home with only two guns.

I'm way to far from the coast to be effected by a hurricane other than possible flash flooding. In case of a tornado my guns are probably much safer in the safe than they would be with me.

If I survive and the house is destroyed I will dig out the safe so I can retrieve my guns and important papers.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas

It would be my XD40 and my AR.

"Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid."--John Wayne

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

.50 BMG on the roof. AR on the front porch. Savage model 10 on the.......dammit, two gun limit. I suck at this game.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX

Stag AR-15 and Glock 19

Sent from the mind of a genius. Forrealz.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Glock 19 for my handgun. For the long gun, it would be a tossup between the sub-2000 (same ammo and mags as the glock, though very weak for a rifle) and the M1A. Thing is, the M1A is most effective at long range offense (including hunting) and I don't see how I would ever need that in any reasonable situation unless I were in military service. I might get SOCOM model with a short barrel though - I love the power of a 308.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Hurricane huh?
    I'll just stay put, with all my belongings.
    : )
    Yeah, me too. In fact, I was just watching a show on the Bio channel last night as I was dozing off called "I Survived" or something to that effect. There was some guy in NJ who decided to stay put for Sandy and ended up being washed out into the water. I spent the first hour of my morning researching life vests and ordered a set for my family. Until I can afford a boat, I figure it's the next best thing. But back to the topic at hand, I would probably grab my XD45 and one of my ARs.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Too easy for me, GP100, 4" stainless in .357 Mag. Good protection and in skilled hands could be used for hunting. Those hands, however, are not mine. :-).

Top Bottom