nowhere
    From Friends of the NRA to you Here is the story

Hurst mayor's gun stance raises ire of NRA

Posted Friday, Oct. 09, 2009
    By YAMIL BERARD
    yberard@star-telegram.com

He’s been called "idiot mayor."

Worse, he’s been called anti-gun.

But Hurst Mayor Richard Ward, a hunter and gun owner, knows how to pull the trigger himself.

"It’s as if we’re going to take their first born," Ward said of the National Rifle Association and other critics who don’t like that he’s joined a national mayors effort to tighten restrictions on some gun sales. "They’ve just been giving us fits."

Ward is in a Texas-style showdown with gun lovers for being the only mayor in Texas to join Mayors Against Illegal Guns.

The group says it is trying to close the loophole that allows private sales of guns at gun shows without background checks.

The goal, the group says, is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

The group, begun by New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, now has about 400 members, its Web site shows.

Its goal is to do "everything in our power to protect our residents, especially our children, from harm and there is no greater threat to public safety than the threat of illegal guns," it states.

The NRA has a different view.

Richard Ward
    Mayor (Place 3)
    Richard Ward was born in Kilgore, Texas and spent his formative years in the surrounding area of Kennedale, Texas. He graduated from Polytechnic High School in Fort Worth, Texas in 1954. He graduated from Texas Christian University with a Bachelor of General Studies Degree in 1982. He served in the United States Army from 1954 to 1957 as an X-ray technician stationed in Frankfurt, Germany. Upon his return, he began a career as a salesman for a medical instruments company and continued working in the medical field from 1957 until 1980.
    In 1982 he began a career in Human Resource Management. His career has taken him to several prestigious institutes such as Medical Plaza Hospital in Fort Worth, Parkland Hospital in Dallas, and Cornerstone Health Management in Dallas. In 1962, Richard Ward moved to the City of Hurst where he soon became involved in many youth activities. He was on the Board of Directors for Pee Wee Football Association, a coach for Little Dribblers Basketball, and a Scout Master with the Boy Scouts of America. He currently serves on the Administrative Board of the First United Methodist Church of Hurst.
    He was elected to the City Council of Hurst in 1976 and served through 1980. He served again on the Council from 2000-2004. In May of 2004 he was elected Mayor of Hurst, where he continues to serve in full capacity as a loyal resident of Hurst. Mayor Richard Ward currently serves on the Tarrant County Committee for Regional Transit Authority, the Mayor’s Council, and the National Mayor’s Conference. He is also Chairman of the Tarrant County Mayor's Association.
    Mayor Ward is blessed with a wonderful wife, Sue, a son Cary, daughter-in-law Jolene and three grandchildren, John, Julie and Matt.
    Contact Information for Richard WardAddressHome PhoneBusiness PhoneE-mail Address655 Springhill Drive(817)788-8332Retiredward.richard@charter.net
    Target Sports

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    It seems that making Richard the "former Mayor", would send an effective mesage to any other Texas MAyors who wish to consider this step.

In my book, a politican can be aligned with me in most areas and lose my vote over several items. Gun control is one of them. Sometimes an example is the best lesson for the rest.

Jeff B.

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    That is why I posted this here , i dont live anywhere near hurst but we need to inform anyone who does to put a stop to this type of stupidity in a hurry , T

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I'd like to see Mayors Against Illegal Aliens, Mayors Against Acorn, or Mayors Against Taxation.

Something useful.

Me too, but in spite of his many accomplishments, personal love of guns,
    boy scouts and all, he was snared by NY's mayor in his gun hating agenda.

I doubt that many guns are bought at gun shows person to person individual sales to thugs and gangbangers...They usually steal them or get them in dubvious manner.

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    Yea usualy out of the back of cars on the streets or My thug friend can sell you a peace kind of crap . I dont doubt some of the guns come from shows but its not directly sold to scum there , someone else who looks normal prolly goes in an buys em then he sells em illegaly who knows but I know this if we got rid of the illegals walking around out there at the flee markets selling them to their Buddys an other criminal element we would more than incompacitate at least by 50% the flow on the streets , T

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    My last gun purchase was in Hurst TX and the guys at the gun store have targets with his picture on it.
    This guy is a putz and is only trying to play both ends of the political spectrum for votes IMO.
    Hurst in a little suburb of Ft.Worth with a mixture of old couples and yuppies for the most part; that's what formed my opinion is his voting populaces.

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    Criminals don't buy guns at gun shows. They steal them. or acquire them "off the radar" in some other fashion.

If they "close the gun-show loophole", that's the first step to banning sales between individuals.

Why don't the politicians get the fact that gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens? Criminals, by their very nature, don't care about gun laws.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Criminals don't buy guns at gun shows. They steal them. or acquire them "off the radar" in some other fashion.

If they "close the gun-show loophole", that's the first step to banning sales between individuals.

Why don't the politicians get the fact that gun laws only affect law-abiding citizens? Criminals, by their very nature, don't care about gun laws.
    Because career politicians are a debilitating disease slowly rotting away the rest of society under the false pretence that they are doing some good. And they really believe they are doing good and hang around until they get caught snorting cocaine while wearing black leather mask and a set of handcuffs in a hotel room with 5 hookers and only four of which were born female. Then they go away never to be heard from again. This Mayor will screw up eventually.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I like this quote
    Its goal is to do "everything in our power to protect our residents, especially our children, from harm and there is no greater threat to public safety than the threat of illegal guns," it states.

According to the center for disease control, there are about 12 other greater threats to children than guns including cars, bicycles, and swimming pools.

tbark44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    nowhere
    i like this quote

according to the center for disease control, there are about 12 other greater threats to children than guns including cars, bicycles, and swimming pools.

great !!!!!!! Now just get off your asses an do it , leave the laws alone , the only illegal guns that usualy turn up are those that are stolen for folks just like the swat guy in dallas last week , even when we lock our stuff up theives still get into it catch them an prosecute them ! Stop trying to hamstrain us an our enjoyments . Gun grabbing liberals like bloomburg an maig are simply headline grabbers .

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    if you look at the unified crime report compiled every year you will see that deaths from guns is way down the list, if that was their target reason for bans, hell let's ban vehicles they kill ten to fifteen times more people a year than guns,as far as that goes deaths from knives and from beatings are way higher on the list than guns. They just want us unarmed so they can do as they please like most other countries, then they can sign treaties with the un and become a one currency one world government it's all about power and control.

Top Bottom