• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vertari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    So, I recently got my M endorsement and insurance on my motorcycle. This coming week it is supposed to come out of the repair shop and I'm 50/50 on it. I received the bike pretty much as a gift but it wasn't working at the time. I tried repairing several items on it but when those failed to start the bike, I decided to take it to someone who knew what they were doing.

I'm looking forward to having the bike up and running...I love how the chick at the repair shop told me that it was "alive" again. :) ...But, I'll be riding it for the first time soon. It's got me somewhat apprehensive about it. I'm essentially a novice on motorcycle riding and this bike is 650CCs which isn't the best engine size for a novice to really get going on. In my training, I was on a 250CC cruiser. I loved that cruiser though. I've taken my friend's cruiser out a couple of times and I'm not sure but his might be a 650CC. I think it is more in the 500 range though.

Mine is a sport bike..."crotch rocket" I guess would fit that description a bit better. It is pretty much fundamentally different from a cruiser which I've had the most experience on.

So, that's my project. I'll let yall know how it progresses.
    Target Sports

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    I can tell you, my first bike was a 650, a vstar custom, and I loved it. I out grew it pretty quick, but don't let the cc fool you. That bike will only go as fast as your wrist turns it, so with proper self discipline, you could start on any size engine. Enjoy her, and the open road (responsibly).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 while dropping an Obama

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So, I recently got my M endorsement and insurance on my motorcycle. This coming week it is supposed to come out of the repair shop and I'm 50/50 on it. I received the bike pretty much as a gift but it wasn't working at the time. I tried repairing several items on it but when those failed to start the bike, I decided to take it to someone who knew what they were doing.

I'm looking forward to having the bike up and running...I love how the chick at the repair shop told me that it was "alive" again. :) ...But, I'll be riding it for the first time soon. It's got me somewhat apprehensive about it. I'm essentially a novice on motorcycle riding and this bike is 650CCs which isn't the best engine size for a novice to really get going on. In my training, I was on a 250CC cruiser. I loved that cruiser though. I've taken my friend's cruiser out a couple of times and I'm not sure but his might be a 650CC. I think it is more in the 500 range though.

Mine is a sport bike..."crotch rocket" I guess would fit that description a bit better. It is pretty much fundamentally different from a cruiser which I've had the most experience on.

So, that's my project. I'll let yall know how it progresses.

Engine size/newbie-friendliness depends a LOT on how the engine is built. You can't go just by displacement. I've ridden 650 that were tame, good low and mid-range, predictable and not overpowered - good beginner bike (around 70hp). But I've been on 600 cc bikes (specifically sport bikes) whose engines were peaky, all power at the top end, harder to predict the power curve and very powerful for something to ride on the street (more like 120hp).

Sport bikes can be a mofo to learn on IMO because the seating position sucks for anything but racing. They're harder to control at low speed, they're not at all comfortable for rides more than about 15 minutes, and the engine's power curve is less than ideal for a new rider.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most cruisers are bigger than 650. I have a small cruiser and it is a 950. That said the crossover from crotch rocket to cruiser isn't quite the same. Your 650 sport bike will smoke my 950 cruiser, gearing, power bands, and rev limits are way different

As others have said, the biggest threat will be other drivers of course this rule only hold true if you ride inside your skill level. The majority of motorcycle accidents are actually single vehicle accidents in turns. The rider feels he is going to fast and tries to brake, or less often, he actually is going to fast. After that is cages turning left in from of bikes.

If you stay aware and leave plenty of cushion between how you ride and what your skill level actually is you will be fine. Get out of the city where you can relax a little and don't have to watch 100 cars around you. It will get easier as the actions on the bike become more natural and instinctive. It's tough to ride in traffic while having to think about the controls.

If you can, find a big empty parking lot to run around in and get a good feel for the brakes, take offs, and low speed maneuvers. Learning to just relax while staying vigilant is the key.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nah, he's alright. That's a 650cc V twin that's only a little undersquare and the specs I found say it's good for around 75 hp at around 9000 RPM. Should be a good learner bike, other than the sport bike seating position.

ETA: I don't like my feet out front like on cruisers, either.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    My first streetbike was a Kawasaki EX500 then I graduated to a Honda Hawk GT650 a year later. Since then I've swung my legs over a Kazasaki ZX-11, CBR600F2, Ducati Monster, Kawsaki ZX6, a great old Honda CB550 Supersport, Suzuki SV650, and VFR Interceptor... in no paticular order. It's not so much the displacement as it is weight and seat height that's a factor for beginners. Just learn to be smooth on the throttle and you'll be fine.

And for the record, I love torquey V-twins like Miley Cyrus loves twerking.... hmmm, maybe not the best analogy.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    In the early '70s I cruised California on a 1964 CB 160 Honda. It made 10 HP so was allowed on the freeways. Then 85 mph was not an uncommon speed limit. God knows I was never going to run away from anybody, but I could hold my own. If a HS kid had a 350cc bike he was doing well. Its not the engine displacement as much as knowing what you can and can't do with that bike. Ride side streets and have fun while learning the limits of the bike and you. Then keep doing it. Yeah its dangerous, but you understand that going in. Hanging out at the range with 30 armed guys you don't know is not exactly safe. If its for you, you will know, and if not, there are more dangerous hobbies. If it ceases to be fun, do something else.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I grew up on bikes in rural west Texas. Hodakas, Maicos, Pentons, and then the array of Japanese dirt and street bikes. Had a bike or two or three for years and years. Gravel pits and cross country treks were not uncommon.

Kids came along and I rode less and less till finally the stable was empty. Fast forward 20 years and a friend gave me an old SL350 Honda that I got running and got the bug once again.

I bought a DL1000 V-Strom and loved it and riding once again.

It just seemed like the cages were closer, faster and the idiots in the cage just didn't give a crap. I bet I was just more used to it then and getting back on gave me a heightened sense.

I wound up selling the Strom. I think about another bike now and again. I miss the relaxing times riding.

Vertari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    Motorcycle.jpg

That's me warming up my bike yesterday in the 30~ish degree weather. It was the first time I have warmed it up in this type of weather (still one of the first times riding it too) so I wanted to see how long it would take and how it would respond.

It takes about 3 minutes to warm up and that was keeping the RPMs around 4000 with full choke...or would that be with the choke on? Choke on I guess. But we're on somewhat of a hill so if you go to the area where I was, it doesn't show "true" weather. It might be warmer in that spot by just a little bit than if you go out to the actual road. Probably from all of the trees in the neighborhood.

I rode it home from the repair shop. The mechanic helped me a bit too. Since the tires were new, they were slick so he burned off a bit of rubber with me watching so as to prepare it for me to ride. Plus, he gave me some pointers on the operation of the actual bike.

I have to go but I'll write more later. Thanks guys!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    View attachment 25086

That's me warming up my bike yesterday in the 30~ish degree weather. It was the first time I have warmed it up in this type of weather (still one of the first times riding it too) so I wanted to see how long it would take and how it would respond.

It takes about 3 minutes to warm up and that was keeping the RPMs around 4000 with full choke...or would that be with the choke on? Choke on I guess. But we're on somewhat of a hill so if you go to the area where I was, it doesn't show "true" weather. It might be warmer in that spot by just a little bit than if you go out to the actual road. Probably from all of the trees in the neighborhood.

I rode it home from the repair shop. The mechanic helped me a bit too. Since the tires were new, they were slick so he burned off a bit of rubber with me watching so as to prepare it for me to ride. Plus, he gave me some pointers on the operation of the actual bike.

I have to go but I'll write more later. Thanks guys!

You shouldn't have to warm the bike up too much, even in cold weather. I rode for two years straight, no matter the weather or temperature ("Torrential rains today? I got this..."), never bothered much with warming up the bike. Just take care on those new tires. The edges might not be scuffed-in yet, and you don't want to find THAT out the hard way.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    That's what they look like wrecked. It was a fun bike but couldn't keep up with inline 600s. The day I went down I was chasing my friends on an R1 and ZX10. I overshot a turn, got parallel with a rock wall, and CRASH! Its easy to be overconfident so be careful out there. It will prob max out at 140 depending on your weight and you can ride with the front end up if you use the clutch to bring her up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 126

Vertari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    That's what they look like wrecked. It was a fun bike but couldn't keep up with inline 600s. The day I went down I was chasing my friends on an R1 and ZX10. I overshot a turn, got parallel with a rock wall, and CRASH! Its easy to be overconfident so be careful out there. It will prob max out at 140 depending on your weight and you can ride with the front end up if you use the clutch to bring her up.

You can kinda see mine is almost in the same condition a bit? The mirrors are off because the bike never came with it. I have a new aftermarket set on the way. They're supposed to be coming in Monday and after I attach them, I'll upload a photo of what they look like on the bike. Apparently the OEM mirrors don't give you too much visibility. After that, I've got to see about getting fairings although the place I've been ordering parts from doesn't have the lower right fairing even as an option.

It takes about two-five minutes to warm up properly depending on the temperature. That day, it was more towards five but then again, it is almost a new bike. Everything has to learn how to work together. Plus, my job is only about a mile away from my house. A little over three if I go through the neighborhoods so it doesn't give me much time to charge the battery.

The edges aren't really, well they weren't scuffed in yet. I've ridden it almost everyday and I'm wearing in the tires. The guy who rebuilt the bike was kind enough to kinda burn off some of that new rubber on the main portion of the tires. It gave me a really good idea of how the brakes are though. :D

Vertari

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Austin, Texas
    Nah, he's alright. That's a 650cc V twin that's only a little undersquare and the specs I found say it's good for around 75 hp at around 9000 RPM. Should be a good learner bike, other than the sport bike seating position.

ETA: I don't like my feet out front like on cruisers, either.

You've got more on the specifications than me. I haven't even really researched that. Kinda taking this whole bike process at every angle to start. Thanks for the numbers though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Key word.....Yosung. Not gonna set the streets on fire here . A 650 is lame especially if it's a vtwin , my ex rode the piss out of her VStar 650 for about a month then traded it in on a Harley Street Bob cause it was no fun ....(Harley is 1658cc btw ) :-)

A Vstar 650 compared to a 650 sport is apples and oranges.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A Vstar 650 compared to a 650 sport is apples and oranges.

+1. Different weight and different power curve to start with.

Comparing a 1600cc Harley to a 600cc sport bike like an R6 is still very apples to oranges. The Harley will be comfortable, but the R6 will make more power and leave it standing.

Top Bottom