Hypocricy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by agent0o8, Mar 25, 2009.

1. agent0o8

agent0o8 New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I find it rather ironic that a mod for a forum that supports our civil rights would attempt to restrain our 1st amendment right by locking threads that may be controversial-- specifically the okc bombing thread. I realize that it's your forum and you have the right to do with it what you want. I can also understand the need to lock some threads because of pointless bickering. But to lock a thread simply because it's controversial and you don't agree with the way the conversation is going or because you're afraid big brother is listening in is purely hypocritical. If you don't agree with what is being discussed please update the rules for the political section of this forum so that conversation can occur more to your liking.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

The 1st does not apply to private property. Their site, their rules.

By locking threads they DO make it clear what that don't want discussed. You are not in a position to tell them what needs to be in their rules.

I will also tell you that this issue should have been privately, rather than publicly. Therefore;

IBTL.

There is nothing hypocritical about it.

3. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    All that thread was going to garner was excessive saber rattling by various individuals over a theoretical event. I personally would not have closed it, but it is what it is.

I will say there are many topics, and comments, that I don't care to have on my forum. That may not agree with the 1st Amendment, but I have my own moral conviction.

4. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    tx said it best.

You need to learn what the Constitution is if you want to carelessly throw it around when you think it fits your personal needs. Talk about hypocrisy...

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    After reading the title, I would have closed it. Nothing good was going to come from it.

6. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    So far, misinterpreting the Constitution, legalize pot and chastise a privately owned forum based on ignorance of the Constitution.

I'd say leave it open and see what else he gets razzed for. There's plenty to work with. :rofl:

7. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The first amendment doesn't apply here, just as your second amendment rights don't necessarily apply on private property.

Maybe we need Obama-subsidized forums so we can exercise our first amendment rights. :tongueout:

Wow! Three posts and already calling the moderators hypocrites. That was number 8 of the "Seven Secrets of Successful People," wasn't it?

8. willypete

willypete New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    from what i seen of the topic no rules were broken .. and some people could have learned some of the true history of our nation and its bloody birth .. instead of relying on hollywood to educate them ..... i have a piss poor education but love reading and find it funny that people enjoy sticking their heads that far in the sand .. If you dont like the truth then keep the truth quiet it rocks the boat and shines the light on the bogus crap being fed to our children .. i dont mind that the thread was locked because it was done with some class no jabs on anyone in the closeing post just a simple its going no where so its over ........ .. every where the first amendment does not apply allows for one view to be in controll over the other,,,, in some places there is a need for that but not in a forum where people come with the sole purpose of communicateing and sharing ideals and knowledge . if thats the case here then it is good to know this now............. willypete

9. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Is it not evidence enough that I leave a thread open that openly calls me a hypocrite? I could easily erase this thread, the users involved, and be a tyrant, but I'm not, because that is not right.

I personally find it disrespectful considering I spent countless hours, and a considerable amount of my income building this forum for people to enjoy, only to be called a hypocrite on the very thing I created, or become berated whenever something does not go their way. Instead of simply asking for the thread to be re-opened, to which I would have easily obliged, I am drug out into the public square.

10. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    At the end of the day, you're in someone else's house here. The rules are to make it easier to understand what to post and what not to, but you can't include everything in the rules for a forum. Any and all posts and threads are always going to be at the forum owner's discretion. Some forums, anything goes. Others, a bit less. This forum is a lot less restrictive than my other favorite forum. I don't complain about it over there, either.

Sheesh, it's not a big deal. The thread got locked. Life goes on; this is the internet. And it's not like you got banned, though I've seen people get banned from forums and complain less after their time-out ban is lifted... Then again, I've seen it the other way where guys "invited" the admins who banned them to "spar" with them. :rofl: