• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • agent0o8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    I find it rather ironic that a mod for a forum that supports our civil rights would attempt to restrain our 1st amendment right by locking threads that may be controversial-- specifically the okc bombing thread. I realize that it's your forum and you have the right to do with it what you want. I can also understand the need to lock some threads because of pointless bickering. But to lock a thread simply because it's controversial and you don't agree with the way the conversation is going or because you're afraid big brother is listening in is purely hypocritical. If you don't agree with what is being discussed please update the rules for the political section of this forum so that conversation can occur more to your liking.
    Capitol Armory ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I find it rather ironic that a mod for a forum that supports our civil rights would attempt to restrain our 1st amendment right by locking threads that may be controversial-- specifically the okc bombing thread. I realize that it's your forum and you have the right to do with it what you want. I can also understand the need to lock some threads because of pointless bickering. But to lock a thread simply because it's controversial and you don't agree with the way the conversation is going or because you're afraid big brother is listening in is purely hypocritical. If you don't agree with what is being discussed please update the rules for the political section of this forum so that conversation can occur more to your liking.

The 1st does not apply to private property. Their site, their rules.

By locking threads they DO make it clear what that don't want discussed. You are not in a position to tell them what needs to be in their rules.

I will also tell you that this issue should have been privately, rather than publicly. Therefore;

IBTL.

There is nothing hypocritical about it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    All that thread was going to garner was excessive saber rattling by various individuals over a theoretical event. I personally would not have closed it, but it is what it is.

I will say there are many topics, and comments, that I don't care to have on my forum. That may not agree with the 1st Amendment, but I have my own moral conviction.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    tx said it best.

You need to learn what the Constitution is if you want to carelessly throw it around when you think it fits your personal needs. Talk about hypocrisy...

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    After reading the title, I would have closed it. Nothing good was going to come from it.

So far, misinterpreting the Constitution, legalize pot and chastise a privately owned forum based on ignorance of the Constitution.

I'd say leave it open and see what else he gets razzed for. There's plenty to work with.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The first amendment doesn't apply here, just as your second amendment rights don't necessarily apply on private property.

Maybe we need Obama-subsidized forums so we can exercise our first amendment rights.

Wow! Three posts and already calling the moderators hypocrites. That was number 8 of the "Seven Secrets of Successful People," wasn't it?

willypete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    from what i seen of the topic no rules were broken .. and some people could have learned some of the true history of our nation and its bloody birth .. instead of relying on hollywood to educate them ..... i have a piss poor education but love reading and find it funny that people enjoy sticking their heads that far in the sand .. If you dont like the truth then keep the truth quiet it rocks the boat and shines the light on the bogus crap being fed to our children .. i dont mind that the thread was locked because it was done with some class no jabs on anyone in the closeing post just a simple its going no where so its over ........ .. every where the first amendment does not apply allows for one view to be in controll over the other,,,, in some places there is a need for that but not in a forum where people come with the sole purpose of communicateing and sharing ideals and knowledge . if thats the case here then it is good to know this now............. willypete

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    if thats the case here then it is good to know this now............. willypete

Is it not evidence enough that I leave a thread open that openly calls me a hypocrite? I could easily erase this thread, the users involved, and be a tyrant, but I'm not, because that is not right.

I personally find it disrespectful considering I spent countless hours, and a considerable amount of my income building this forum for people to enjoy, only to be called a hypocrite on the very thing I created, or become berated whenever something does not go their way. Instead of simply asking for the thread to be re-opened, to which I would have easily obliged, I am drug out into the public square.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    from what i seen of the topic no rules were broken ..

At the end of the day, you're in someone else's house here. The rules are to make it easier to understand what to post and what not to, but you can't include everything in the rules for a forum. Any and all posts and threads are always going to be at the forum owner's discretion. Some forums, anything goes. Others, a bit less. This forum is a lot less restrictive than my other favorite forum. I don't complain about it over there, either.

Sheesh, it's not a big deal. The thread got locked. Life goes on; this is the internet. And it's not like you got banned, though I've seen people get banned from forums and complain less after their time-out ban is lifted... Then again, I've seen it the other way where guys "invited" the admins who banned them to "spar" with them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Look, I'll say this much. We want to provide an open atmosphere and allow for a wide variety of opinions. I understand many are willing to fight (literally) for their rights if it really comes down to that if/when all options are exhausted. I am in fact one of those people and will gladly fight right along side you if it comes to that, however I hope to God it does not come to that. What we do not want to see on this forum is.....how should I say this.....suggestion of commission of acts of terrorism against the government. While things may in fact come down to that in however many years or decades, there is a little thing called PERSEC, meaning Personal Security, meaning watching what you say because it could cause trouble for you (speaking about everyone in general, no one specific) in the future. The internet is the internet. What you post will forever be out there, and if you post the wrong stuff, it could potentially be used against you in the future whether we like it or not. So if we try to steer away from some touchy subjects like that, please don't take offense. Honestly, we're trying to look out for everyone's best interests as I hate the idea of someone's spur of the moment forum post somehow being used against them in some sort of legal manner to further infringe their rights. Simply put, there is some stuff better left unsaid on the internet, and probably better discussed in person between people you trust.

willypete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Is it not evidence enough that I leave a thread open that openly calls me a hypocrite? I could easily erase this thread, the users involved, and be a tyrant, but I'm not, because that is not right.

I personally find it disrespectful considering I spent countless hours, and a considerable amount of my income building this forum for people to enjoy, only to be called a hypocrite on the very thing I created, or become berated whenever something does not go their way. Instead of simply asking for the thread to be re-opened, to which I would have easily obliged, I am drug out into the public square.

you are 100% right ..... closeing the thread did not bother me at all the way i see those things are its not my job to keep thing pleasent here and i rely on yall to do that ... and thats why i come and read this forum because it is a pleasent forum if it wasnt then i would not be here ... by the way i in no way ment to call anyone a hyprocite and i am sorry if it sounded like i did ................ willypete

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.

You are a mild tempered person, for sure. I think you handled it very well.

Now go and ban them all!!! LOL.....j/k.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What we do not want to see on this forum is.....how should I say this.....suggestion of commission of acts of terrorism against the government.

Spirited, heated, or enthusiastic discussions are fun and interesting. However, that the topic was headed the wrong way. I wasn't sure if the author was trying to find like minded people or maybe testing the waters.

You made the right call.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sig_Fiend makes a good point. The media is more likely these days to check out what's being said on gun forums. We need to worry about public perception. Maybe not today on TGT, but some day in the future.

Right now though, there's the fact that there are people getting paid by the federal government (state governments, too) to keep tabs on gun forums. I know; an another forum I'm a moderator on, I've run the IP traces!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Another point I would like to make is that we are a long way from violence becoming a necessary and only option. Hell, we have what, maybe only as much as a couple million people in the firearms community (if that) actually participating in any kind of peaceful dissent and activism towards protecting our 2A rights? Heck, I've been bad about it myself, though I realize that now and am trying to take steps to correct that. Until we have all 80+million (the number of American gun owners according to the NRA a couple years ago) screaming Americans standing up behind us, all protesting and pushing for real CHANGE, we are a long way from actually having no other option but violence.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Ok, but don't think that a small number of angry and determined people pushed to their limits cannot have an impact on a larger and more technologically advanced army.

Look what the IRA did in Ireland and the UK for decades with a rag tag bunch of loosely trained and armed individuals. For a very long time, they managed to make things VERY difficult for one of the world's biggest and most powerful armies. Made them totally change the way they did alot of things.

I am not justifying what the IRA did but only looking at what a small, lightly armed group working in the shadows did to a large standing army.

Never underestimate a small determined and angry armed mass...the British did that at first and look what happened.

- brickboy240

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Reminds me of listening to talk radio and the first thing a person does when they call in is to insult the host. . . . . .

It is just stupid and makes you look (or exposes your) stupidity.

The admin's have a right to control what goes on in THEIR website. I think this is a great site. Thanks alot.

Top Bottom