• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    Sometimes your local reloading shop can help. Don't be afraid to shop locally! Prices are (can be) similar and the information is surely worth something! The owner or reloading clerk and customers can be a great source of info. Of course, if you buy at Academy, you'll get no help. Probably no help at Gander, Bass Pro, etc either. Take what you hear online with a grain of salt unless you hear it many times. Even then, a smaller grain of salt. If you ask people "What's your favorite load" and almost everyone says 40.0gr H4350 pushing a Hornady 140gr ELD-M w Lapua brass and Fed GMM205 primers ... then that's probably pretty valid. But, otherwise, you don't know enough from one posting. Is the guy pushing above recommended max? Does he have a longer chamber and is seating longer so it's not a compressed load? etc.

Each bullet maker tends to have their own book. We have Sierra, Speer, Berger, Hornady books. You also have Lyman & Lee. I think Lee has the most loads. Lyman book isn't great. The bullet makers will generally only have their bullets in them and, in the Hornady book, there aren't a lot of loads for each. Important point: just because your powder isn't in the book doesn't mean it can't be used! I just means they didn't test that combo. It's probably in a different book if it's appropriate for your cartridge. The powder makers also publish data.

As for presses, most all companies are rock solid on customer service. I have two Hornady presses and just got a Forster Coax to try. Haven't used it yet. I have very good intentions but rarely have the time.

Bad things can happen reloading, but it's also safe if you do it right. Watch your drops. Odds are you won't have a double drop and if you do, it'll spill over so you'll know. The risk, IMO, is the squib. You think you dropped powder and you didn't or it bridged or something (more common on a progressive press). Listen for the poof and feel the recoil.

I'm sure there's guys on here who have loaded 100,000 rounds with no glitches so it can be done. I'm also sure there's guys on here that have had more than one "oops". And if you even for a second think you did something wrong, just pull the bullet(s) and start over. Much safer and only takes a few seconds. Seated the bullet too deep, realized your scale is drifting and you're throwing 3gr heavy, forgot to zero your scale at first, not sure if you left old powder in the bottom of your dispenser, whatever. Even if you contaminate a whole pound of powder by pouring old powder back in the wrong jug, just dump it out. What's $30 compared to your safety? I've never done any of these, but I'm just imagining what could go wrong. I have lost my place in working up a load and dumped 10 cases out. They'd all be safe to shoot, but bad data because it might have been 40.1 or 40.4 gr and I'm working up a precision load with exactly 5 of each.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Sometimes your local reloading shop can help. Don't be afraid to shop locally! Prices are (can be) similar and the information is surely worth something! The owner or reloading clerk and customers can be a great source of info. Of course, if you buy at Academy, you'll get no help. Probably no help at Gander, Bass Pro, etc either. Take what you hear online with a grain of salt unless you hear it many times. Even then, a smaller grain of salt. If you ask people "What's your favorite load" and almost everyone says 40.0gr H4350 pushing a Hornady 140gr ELD-M w Lapua brass and Fed GMM205 primers ... then that's probably pretty valid. But, otherwise, you don't know enough from one posting. Is the guy pushing above recommended max? Does he have a longer chamber and is seating longer so it's not a compressed load? etc.

Each bullet maker tends to have their own book. We have Sierra, Speer, Berger, Hornady books. You also have Lyman & Lee. I think Lee has the most loads. Lyman book isn't great. The bullet makers will generally only have their bullets in them and, in the Hornady book, there aren't a lot of loads for each. Important point: just because your powder isn't in the book doesn't mean it can't be used! I just means they didn't test that combo. It's probably in a different book if it's appropriate for your cartridge. The powder makers also publish data.

As for presses, most all companies are rock solid on customer service. I have two Hornady presses and just got a Forster Coax to try. Haven't used it yet. I have very good intentions but rarely have the time.

Bad things can happen reloading, but it's also safe if you do it right. Watch your drops. Odds are you won't have a double drop and if you do, it'll spill over so you'll know. The risk, IMO, is the squib. You think you dropped powder and you didn't or it bridged or something (more common on a progressive press). Listen for the poof and feel the recoil.

I'm sure there's guys on here who have loaded 100,000 rounds with no glitches so it can be done. I'm also sure there's guys on here that have had more than one "oops". And if you even for a second think you did something wrong, just pull the bullet(s) and start over. Much safer and only takes a few seconds. Seated the bullet too deep, realized your scale is drifting and you're throwing 3gr heavy, forgot to zero your scale at first, not sure if you left old powder in the bottom of your dispenser, whatever. Even if you contaminate a whole pound of powder by pouring old powder back in the wrong jug, just dump it out. What's $30 compared to your safety? I've never done any of these, but I'm just imagining what could go wrong. I have lost my place in working up a load and dumped 10 cases out. They'd all be safe to shoot, but bad data because it might have been 40.1 or 40.4 gr and I'm working up a precision load with exactly 5 of each.
    Lots of very good info in there.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wonder
    what a 6.5mm or a 7MM BO would be like??
    There must be a few 7TCU and 6.5TCU users around who can answer that question.

But if you're looking for the original Whisper versions based on the .221 then I dunno; I've never seen one of those.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    There are some stores that don't know jack either.
    Especially the big box stores. Of course, you find that in all professions. Ever heard of a doctor fixing the wrong knee? Or a brake shop that wants to replace your brand new rotors? Nobody said ALL gun stores know EVERYTHING. But I'm guessing, statistically, the LGS has more good info than the big box store (especially the blue one). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most online stores can't and even won't (for liability) help you with reloading questions. They're just there to sell you stuff.

A mom-n-pop that carries reloading supplies (fewer and farther between thanks to the online competition and the time and energy it takes to offer full service vs discount pricing) often has a guy (or guys) who reload themselves. And while they might not be THE ultimate authority, odds are they have some good info. Likewise, people reload for different reasons (precision, volume, cost savings, hobby, unusual cartridges, etc). But supporting the local guy who supports you is a fair trade, even if it costs a dollar or two more. If you get no value from the local guy and it's all about price, then that's just a different standard.

Sometimes the local guy is also up on new stuff. For example, "I can't find H1000 anywhere. What are people using instead?" You could spend an hour reading forums to find out, or the local guy might show you RL25, IMR7828 or a few others that he has in stock based on what you're loading for. And he knows this because he might use them, has customers who told him about their results, read it himself, got the memo from his distributor, or whatever. Surely that's worth your patronage! The 19yr old at Academy probably can't make a recommendation on that.

I doubt there's too many LGSs that carry reloading supplies and just know nothing about them.

Realize, too, that most reloaders have a balance of experience and purpose. Some might reload a lot of 300 subs or handgun loads. Others are reloading precision rifle. Some reload odd stuff. Some will sort bullets and brass by weight and even turn necks while other guys will just full length size and load to SAAMI spec. If you came in and asked me what powder I recommend for your 7STW, I'd have to pull my book out. I don't load for that. But then we'd find a couple of apparently suitable options for you to try that I have in stock and you'd leave with powder, and a bit more information than you came in with. And maybe you'd even buy the book since apparently you might need it if you didn't already come in with a shopping list. Mission accomplished.

I had one customer who started reloading. I said "you'll also need this comparator." He responds, "I just got some factory loads and then put a ruler on the top of my rounds and the factory load to make sure they're level (the same length). If they're level, then it's good." I'm sure he didn't read that in any book or online! Do I have a moral obligation to educate him? Do I take the attitude of "well, you didn't buy your stuff from me so have fun gluing your fingers back on when you seat a Berger bullet too deeply because you're measuring (if you can call it that) based on COAL. Of course, I like to talk and help. So I spent a free hour explaining to him how he's supposed to do it and recommending bullets and powders despite him buying all his stuff at Academy. He still shops at Academy of course (5 minutes away). Who am I? Rodney Dangerfield?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while. I hope he's okay.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Thanks again for all the info. My set gust got in this afternoon while I was at work. I bought dies and small rifle primers already. Just need powder, cases, and bullets. And basic things like shell holders and something to write down load info on each batch for future reference
    de369a79597c30599b310c8fb956e8ca.jpg
    972088b8fbb403266e8ed26ac713cbda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• de369a79597c30599b310c8fb956e8ca.jpg
      de369a79597c30599b310c8fb956e8ca.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 391
    • 972088b8fbb403266e8ed26ac713cbda.jpg
      972088b8fbb403266e8ed26ac713cbda.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 473

aussamdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2019
    South of Houston
    Especially the big box stores. Of course, you find that in all professions. Ever heard of a doctor fixing the wrong knee? Or a brake shop that wants to replace your brand new rotors? Nobody said ALL gun stores know EVERYTHING. But I'm guessing, statistically, the LGS has more good info than the big box store (especially the blue one). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most online stores can't and even won't (for liability) help you with reloading questions. They're just there to sell you stuff.

A mom-n-pop that carries reloading supplies (fewer and farther between thanks to the online competition and the time and energy it takes to offer full service vs discount pricing) often has a guy (or guys) who reload themselves. And while they might not be THE ultimate authority, odds are they have some good info. Likewise, people reload for different reasons (precision, volume, cost savings, hobby, unusual cartridges, etc). But supporting the local guy who supports you is a fair trade, even if it costs a dollar or two more. If you get no value from the local guy and it's all about price, then that's just a different standard.

Sometimes the local guy is also up on new stuff. For example, "I can't find H1000 anywhere. What are people using instead?" You could spend an hour reading forums to find out, or the local guy might show you RL25, IMR7828 or a few others that he has in stock based on what you're loading for. And he knows this because he might use them, has customers who told him about their results, read it himself, got the memo from his distributor, or whatever. Surely that's worth your patronage! The 19yr old at Academy probably can't make a recommendation on that.

I doubt there's too many LGSs that carry reloading supplies and just know nothing about them.

Realize, too, that most reloaders have a balance of experience and purpose. Some might reload a lot of 300 subs or handgun loads. Others are reloading precision rifle. Some reload odd stuff. Some will sort bullets and brass by weight and even turn necks while other guys will just full length size and load to SAAMI spec. If you came in and asked me what powder I recommend for your 7STW, I'd have to pull my book out. I don't load for that. But then we'd find a couple of apparently suitable options for you to try that I have in stock and you'd leave with powder, and a bit more information than you came in with. And maybe you'd even buy the book since apparently you might need it if you didn't already come in with a shopping list. Mission accomplished.

I had one customer who started reloading. I said "you'll also need this comparator." He responds, "I just got some factory loads and then put a ruler on the top of my rounds and the factory load to make sure they're level (the same length). If they're level, then it's good." I'm sure he didn't read that in any book or online! Do I have a moral obligation to educate him? Do I take the attitude of "well, you didn't buy your stuff from me so have fun gluing your fingers back on when you seat a Berger bullet too deeply because you're measuring (if you can call it that) based on COAL. Of course, I like to talk and help. So I spent a free hour explaining to him how he's supposed to do it and recommending bullets and powders despite him buying all his stuff at Academy. He still shops at Academy of course (5 minutes away). Who am I? Rodney Dangerfield?

Come to think of it, I haven't seen him in a while. I hope he's okay.
    New member here... A&P do u have a store? I would like to shop local but don’t know of any. I am near CLC/Webster/Friendswood area.

aussamdad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2019
    South of Houston
    Can’t say reloading is fun but the results are amazing. I shot Winchester 9mm ammo did ok, 2 rds out of 10 in the 10 ring, reloaded using Unique and switched it around with 8 rds in the 10 ring with 2 rdd in the 9 ring. Go reload.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hodgdon web reload data is good. For starters, 125sst is good for supers. H110. Subs later with 1680 or cfeblk. What ever bullet you use make sure it fits the throat test fit. Then load 10 or so and test live rounds before going full steam. Really lots of fun.

roadapple

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Claude, Texas
    I’m actually going to bet into reloading. Going to start with a Lee breach lock press set to start and the Hornady loading book. I think I want to start loading 300blk first In subsonic loads. Any thoughts or advice/ does and don’ts would be appreciated

I started with Lee equipment myself. I believe many handloaders have started with Lee. As far as manuals go: Get the manual for the bullets you want to use. The Lee manual is one of the best for folks new to reloading. It has a lot of general information, and you just might find yourself reading it all; which would be a good thing. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, so you started in a good place. If you get serious about reloading/handloading, you WILL NOT save much money but you will shoot more! You will also find that your loads can be much more accurate than the standard ammo you find in stores. A local reloading supply store is a very good resource. If you order primers and powder online, you will most likely have to pay hazmat fees on the delivery (unless the online store covers that in a sale). You might want to get a good mechanical scale, and a good electronic scale. You can always double check the calibration of the electronic scale with the mechanical scale. Electronic scales are way faster than mechanical scales. If you need more speed for your powder, get a good powder measure from any of the makers. My favorites are Redding and RCBS, but I have a Hornady powder measure that has always been plenty accurate. I check the powder measures every 10 to 15 rds with a scale. It sounds like it will slow you down too much to do so, but you will be surprised how fast it goes, and it will give you peace of mind. Get a good bullet puller. Trust me, you will need one. Try every component manufactures that are in the manuals. You will find some favorites. All options are good in the right combinations, so try as much as you can afford: You will find some that you love! Every rifle is different and they like different loads, so try as many as you like and see what your rifle likes best. Make sure your attention is not diverted while you are loading. Wear eye protection, and be safe. When developing loads for your firearms, start lowish and work up. Watch for signs of pressure when you shoot your reloads. The manuals cover this well. The most accurate loads are not always the hotter loads. Have fun!

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    You should check out https://ultimatereloader.com/ He has lots of information and videos on that site. He also has a facebook page and does youtube stuff. Very informative.

I subscribed to his YouTube channel probably seconds before you mentioned him. Glad to see a thumbs up from someone about him. I will add his website to my favorites list for sure

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    You can generally substitute an equivalent primer unless you are on the bleeding edge of a load or loading a unique combination that requires a specific primer for a reason. People have preferences and so will you eventually so try them all and see what fits.
    Generally. Watch out for sensitive primers in some guns. You want to use a less sensitive primer in some guns with floating firing pins, like an M14/M1A. Mine almost always leaves a little indentation on the primer of the next round.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Generally. Watch out for sensitive primers in some guns. You want to use a less sensitive primer in some guns with floating firing pins, like an M14/M1A. Mine almost always leaves a little indentation on the primer of the next round.

Roger that

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Since I’m reloading 300 blk for an AR. What dies do I need on top of these
    2830c7e2f4f8ca3b050efae33fdd01c3.jpg

Attachments

• 2830c7e2f4f8ca3b050efae33fdd01c3.jpg
      2830c7e2f4f8ca3b050efae33fdd01c3.jpg
      931 KB · Views: 488

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    As long as those are .300 BO dies that should be all you need.

They are. Cool. Now I just need to settle on a bullet weight and a powder to start the fun of reloading. I have all the rest

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I’ve had people say to crimp the case for reliable feeding in AR’s and some people don’t. So to get a crimping die or not to get one?That’s my next issue. Then again I need to lookup the dies I have and see if the seating one crimps as well

Top Bottom