• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Nine something (have to look up my notes) grains of 1680 and a 212 grain bullet should run between 1000 and 1100 f.p.s. I had good luck with that load. After some weight adj. in the buffer tube, it cycled well. I'll go to the reloading bench in a bit and get the exact numbers.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Nine something (have to look up my notes) grains of 1680 and a 212 grain bullet should run between 1000 and 1100 f.p.s. I had good luck with that load. After some weight adj. in the buffer tube, it cycled well. I'll go to the reloading bench in a bit and get the exact numbers.
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    How long can you leave the brass with just the primer in it before you finish loading it

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    On large batches I will normally process all the brass, forget it for a month, prime all the brass, forget it for 1-6 months, then load it all. No problems with anything at all sofar.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    How long can you leave the brass with just the primer in it before you finish loading it

If you seal it up after priming it will last a long time. I have some 40 brass that has been primed for 2 years. But usually I just prime what I plan to load in the next couple months.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    How long do primers sit in an unsealed box? Same thing. I've loaded some 30 yr olds with no problems. Mostly it depends on storage conditions.

Cool. Thanks. I want to at least prime some cases so I can say I have officially started reloading

Reactions: rp-

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If you seal it up after priming it will last a long time. I have some 40 brass that has been primed for 2 years. But usually I just prime what I plan to load in the next couple months.

Cool

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I’ve had people say to crimp the case for reliable feeding in AR’s and some people don’t. So to get a crimping die or not to get one?That’s my next issue. Then again I need to lookup the dies I have and see if the seating one crimps as wella

Here is a rule that won't fail you. If it has a cannelure, crimp into it. If not, crimp max mouth minus .003".

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I may try both

You can run 1680 for both super and subs when you go over 178gr. Up until you can use 1680 for supers but that is a full case, really full. While h110 can cycle subs, it is not nearly as reliable as 1680 or CFE BLK. So as long as your are over 178, 1680 for both. Under that, h110 super and 168/CFE subs.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I’ve had people say to crimp the case for reliable feeding in AR’s and some people don’t. So to get a crimping die or not to get one?That’s my next issue. Then again I need to lookup the dies I have and see if the seating one crimps as well

I crimp with the Lee factory crimp die on all AR loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I guess the lee factory crimp is my next die to get. Just found out that the shell holders that came with the kit only work for the handheld primer. So I had to order shell holders for the press. So I have to wait now for those to get in before the real fun begins. If I bought factor unused Hornady shells should I still run them through the resizing die as a jus Incase since they were just placed loosely in a bag or can I start priming away? The are within about 3 thousandths of max case length according to the Hornady reloading manual. The manual says 1.368 I’m in getting 1.365 or even 1.36 even

hoghunting

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2014
    I run all new brass through the sizing die before loading. I've never had a problem making sure they were sized properly.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I guess the lee factory crimp is my next die to get. Just found out that the shell holders that came with the kit only work for the handheld primer. So I had to order shell holders for the press. So I have to wait now for those to get in before the real fun begins. If I bought factor unused Hornady shells should I still run them through the resizing die as a jus Incase since they were just placed loosely in a bag or can I start priming away? The are within about 3 thousandths of max case length according to the Hornady reloading manual. The manual says 1.368 I’m in getting 1.365 or even 1.36 even

Every die set comes with a shell holder.

Top Bottom