I am committing to conceal carry; Day 1

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by BombthePeasants, Dec 15, 2009.

1. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Hello, my name is Erik, I live in Lewisville, and I'm committing to conceal carry today, December 15. I am embarrassed to admit that I've had the license for 6 years now, but other than a few hours here, and a few hours there, 3 times tops perhaps, I have never been a daily carrier. Until today. I am only 3 hours into it, but so far I think I can do this.

My Weapon: A Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded, w/ 1-7rd. Chip McCormick magazine (traded an HK USP Compact for it)

Holster: Galco N3 IWB holster, black leather (looks neat!)

Belt: Thick leather belt, bought when I lived in Waxahachie, from a western wear store. Don't remember the brand name.

Clothes: Jeans (they fit me loose, so the holster falls in nicely), with an undershirt (cotton, to keep the gun/holster from digging into my backside), and a cotton button up collared shirt for an overgarment (wrinkled, because I'm too lazy to iron it, we have a 10 month-old at home, no breaks).

I have to say, the weight is not so bad, but I'm not carrying cocked-&-locked yet, I will work my way up to that soon enough, first I want to get used to it. Also, no magazine carrier yet, I will get one at some point though. It does feel as though everyone can see it, but I have 2 close friend/coworkers I have told about, to keep me alerted if it does show.

Also, going to the can is a royal pain-in-the-*** (pun intended), but doable.

2. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    If you are not carrying C&L, what condition are you carrying?

As I'm sure you've been told, if your weapon is in good condition (no kitchen table gunsmthing etc) C&L is perfectly safe. But I understand the concern as the hammer in the full cocked position does look threatening. I'll suggest while you are getting used to the idea, that you carry with a full mag, no round in the chamber and C&L. Condition three except cocked. After you've done that for awhile, and the hammer has not accidentally fallen, you'll be ready to feel comfortable with a round in the chamber. If that still bothers you, you can get a holster with a thumb break that straps between the hammer and the firing pin.

Good luck.

3. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I am in Condition 3 I think? (no round in chamber, hammer is cocked though) Oh wait, I see you have that condition described in your text. I am in Condition 3. I want to build confidence in the pistol staying safe for a week or 2 before going to condition 1.

4. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Day 2: similar clothing, and had my first "scare" today. I went to use the facilities, and whilst doing my business, the gun/holster had flipped up, and the muzzle was pointing at my head! LESSON LEARNED; tuck it in the pants when in the seated bathroom position...

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That'd be a horrible way to buy the farm. :rofl:

6. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Yes, I thought briefly about how my coworkers would have found me, pants down...that's worse than the death itself.

7. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    ...............How did he commit suicide with the gun still in the holster?

8. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    that made the iced tea I'm drinking come out my nose. Well played, Texas42, well played...

9. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Fellow co-worker - I always knew he was talented but WOW!!!

10. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    The only thing you'd missing is a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich!