• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Building stuff is great. Having grown up with the party line, computers are a mystery. I do know where to take them when they act up.

Yeah, I hear you. It's like anything else, once you get past the jargon & spend a little time poking around, lots of things start making more sense. It's a very approachable thing if it's something you're interested in.
    Capitol Armory ad

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    One more thought for the OP - not sure if you've seen this site before, but it's got some lists & builds others have done lately. Let you at least check out some options without searching around the web a ton.

A decent upgrade would be a new CPU, motherboard, 16 or 32GB of DDR4 & a PCIe M.2 SSD. Keep the case, PSU, and GPU. You can upgrade the GPU easily later, and it gives you some time to shop around.

Something like this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...g-strix-gaming-(wifi)-amd-am4-atx-motherboard and this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-am4-boxed-processor-with-wraith-prism-cooler

Or this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...gaming-(wi-fi)-intel-lga-1200-atx-motherboard and this: https://www.microcenter.com/product...ake-38ghz-eight-core-lga-1200-boxed-processor

I chose stuff that was in stock at Microcenter. I personally went with 10400 CPUs because I haven't bothered overclocking in years, the price was reasonable, and they were in stock.

The AMD choice does look pretty good, objectively.

Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    Here is my current rig..

1- Lian Li Case
    1- Nvidia Geforce GTX 1650 Super
    1- Intel Core i5 3570K Ivy bridge Socket 1155 LGA
    4- Corrsair Vengence 4Gig dual channel DDR3 Memory
    1- Western Digital 1 TB hard drive Caviar Black
    1- LG DVD Read/Write Drive
    7- 120mm Cooling Fans
    1- NZXT C750w ATX Power Supply
    1- ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard Intel Chipset Ivy Bridge South Bridge Z77 SLI and CrossfireX ready
    1- Wireless mouse
    1- Standard Keyboard

The case, GPU, and PSU are the only recent upgrades. When I upgraded they rest it will most likely be a Ryzen series build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    US
    Amd has made huge strides in recent years. All of my machines have been intel/Nvidia gpu combos so I can not speak from personal experience as far as using the amd products.
    I would shop around and get whatever parts you can for a decent price be it amd or intel/Nvidia. I went with an ibuypower pc that I selected all my options and upgraded the parts they cheap out on or outright select crap and it's been great
    I5 9600k
    32gb ram

Love it

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Amd has made huge strides in recent years. All of my machines have been intel/Nvidia gpu combos so I can not speak from personal experience as far as using the amd products.
    I would shop around and get whatever parts you can for a decent price be it amd or intel/Nvidia. I went with an ibuypower pc that I selected all my options and upgraded the parts they cheap out on or outright select crap and it's been great
    I5 9600k
    32gb ram

Love it

Thanks for making more than a 5 character post in your quest for 25.

That said, please take a moment to check the date of the posts you respond to so old/dead threads aren’t dreaded up to the surface and bumping newer, more relevant posts down the line on the search pages.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    "dreaded up" should = "dredged up" I suppose, but I am sure you know what assume spells. :) I truly do remember those morning hangovers when I was a "Younggun", not only could I not spell for shit, I could not listen to anything to loud due to the drums pounding in my skull! :evil:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    "dreaded up" should = "dredged up" I suppose, but I am sure you know what assume spells. :) I truly do remember those morning hangovers when I was a "Younggun", not only could I not spell for shit, I could not listen to anything to loud due to the drums pounding in my skull! :evil:

My username is more a statement to how long I’ve been here, lol. Though there are some more “historically gifted” members that would likely consider me a young’un”.

The name was actually a reference to the movie Young Guns. I used to be much more of a smart ass and had an appreciation for the character of Emilio Esteves played regardless of its historica accuracy.

And lastly, phones and autocorrect. Give me a break :laughing:

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    So... I assume after almost 1.5 years, you’ve got your computer question sorted ? :D

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I5 9600k
    32gb ram

Love it

As someone who uses Linux now, I'll never buy another Nvidia GPU. Their drivers are proprietary and make it a pain in the ass to use for linux. AMD has always made pretty decent graphics cards, sure they don't have Physx (a dead add on for nvidia cards that was a selling point 10 years ago) DLSS or "ray tracing" but guess what, most games can't utilize that anyway.

I'm currently running a 2700x Ryzen on an x470 motherboard
    2080ti
    32 GB of RAM
    and 3.5TB of SSD with a 2 TB NVME

my new build is going to be the 5950X Ryzen
    6900xt (Or 7000 series equivalent)
    64 GB of DDR4
    and the same 3.5 TB of storage.

The MOST IMPORTANT PART is the PSU, and I've NEVER cheaped out on that. I used to buy Corsair but they started using some low end ODMs for their capacitors and inverters in the PSU, so now I only buy Seasonic.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wanted to do a similar upgrade, but probably 5900X instead of 5950. Sadly, GPU prices have had me stuck for a while now.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    US
    I wanted to do a similar upgrade, but probably 5900X instead of 5950. Sadly, GPU prices have had me stuck for a while now.

I built my pc when the 20 series came out for a black Friday sale and I could have sold the 2070 for a profit 3 years later. Gotta buy when crypto is in a bear market. I think the gpu mania is calming down now and with the release of the next gen in the fall hopefully the 30 series cards will be reasonably priced at the least

Top Bottom