• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I have not built a new PC in a while. I am still using an original I7 970! With a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Mainboard, multiple Velociraptors, NVidia GeForce GTX 970. I recently replaced the PS with a quality 80+ 1000W unit. In reality I just surf the net. Back in the day I participated heavily in Distributed Computing Projects, Seti@Home, Folding@Home and the ECCP-109 challenge. I was lucky in the ECCP-109 project to find half of the key. I may get back into gaming, who knows, or if any DCP's are still going on I may return those.

I plan to reuse my current case, just replace and update the fans. I have not kept up with tech, TECH-IMO no longer exists, ars technica is still around and I remembered my old ID and password.

I guess my basic questions are which CPU is currently in the lead Intel or AMD, mainboard and drive recommendations.

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.
    Gun Zone Deals

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    May get some help browsing here, don't know for sure.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you want to do a lot of work, the new AMD 5k series are gonna blow away the Intel stuff. 5900X is their new top tier with 12 core/24threads. Iirc it clocks 4.2 on all cores. See below regarding clock speeds on AMD vs Intel. I think there is a 5950X also, but that’s a big price jump and not gonna be in the common purchase category.

For gaming, it looks like the 5k series is pretty close with Intel 9900k and 10k series processors. Intel leads in click speed but AMD seems to be making up the difference in how fast it can access data. Don’t understand it all, but the bench tests are out there and AMD is on par. Not necessarily the same for those who plan to OC and intel CPU to the edge of life. AMD overclocking doesn’t typically gain much.

On GPUs it’s Nvidia 3k series vs Radeon 6K. Nvidia has the ray tracing but Radeon has better Vram numbers. So depending on application they trade blows pretty well. Radeon 6800XT matches the RTX3080. The 6900XT doesn’t have a ton of data out that I’ve seen but should be top tier for many applications where ray tracing doesn’t apply or if you simply don’t care. Nvidia seems to hold a slight edge at 4K while Radeon is ahead at 1080p and 1440. This may change with driver updates though.

Recommend X570 MoBo for AMD CPUs. No idea for Intel.

Nvme M.2 for storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    For budgets, you could build on some of the 3k series AMD CPUs. Nothing wrong with them and will be lots of them hitting the market cheap as people upgrade to the 5K series over the next few months.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Sam's right. Component shortages among the supply chain are making it really difficult right now. What's your budget? I might know one or two things about computers and building them =)

CPU - AMD Ryzen 7
    Board - Any AMD AM4 chipset should be fine. X570 has all the nifty features. X470 won't be a detriment to you.
    Drive - Solid State Drive. Any M.2 Drive should serve you. I usually use Samsung, but I'm sure most companies are fine
    GPU - good luck finding one for a reasonable price
    RAM - 32 GB is, in my belief, the new minimum for a gaming rig.
    PSU - At this point I'd only buy from Seasonic this is the most important part of the system.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I have an unopened 1000W Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold PS that should work, unless plug layouts have changed, my spare PS in case of need.
    Rails are +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@83.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A

I can use my current video card for a while, I have a 1 TB Samsung SSD that I was going to install in my laptop, but never did, and 6 Velociraptors for mechanical storage, may not be SSD's but for storage of photos and such would be acceptable, mirror the drives for redundancy. I am not doing any kind of editing.

I may just convert from mechanical drives to mirrored SSD's, it would be the best bang for now, I think.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    I have an unopened 1000W Corsair RM1000x 80+ Gold PS that should work, unless plug layouts have changed, my spare PS in case of need.
    Rails are +3.3V@25A, +5V@25A, +12V@83.3A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3A

I can use my current video card for a while, I have a 1 TB Samsung SSD that I was going to install in my laptop, but never did, and 6 Velociraptors for mechanical storage, may not be SSD's but for storage of photos and such would be acceptable, mirror the drives for redundancy. I am not doing any kind of editing.

I may just convert from mechanical drives to mirrored SSD's, it would be the best bang for now, I think.

You can put the Raptor drives into RAID 5, but I don't think they'd equate to good SSD speeds. If you already have the Corsair RM1000 that's not a bad PSU at all. That puts you down to CPU, MB, GPU and RAM.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I'm not really worried about SSD speeds, I have an EVO 850 1TB I never installed in my laptop, and an ICY-DOCK adapter, I think I will just clone my HDD to the SSD for now. I may do that tomorrow, rain expected. I have already d/l 'd the Samsung migration tool. I may just tinker with this. Back in the day I used to enjoy tinkering with tech stuff, when 1Ghz CPU's were new I ran 12 boxes for DC projects, I have lost interest, so sad.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Shameless plug for my RTX-2080 TI FTW3 graphics card in the for sale section. 3 months ago it was in the top 1% performance wise worldwide. My new RTX3090 is 22% faster for $1900.26.

texasnurse

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2016
    Unless you are running 8k tv 3090 is pointless, even then games that support the resolution and real time ray tracing are few and far between.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Go intel if you want it to work and not have "issues".

I5 10600k (overclocks to 5ghz and is practically an I9 at that speed)

z490 chipset mb

pc4200 during
    finish it off as you see fit.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unless you are running 8k tv 3090 is pointless, even then games that support the resolution and real time ray tracing are few and far between.

Or a high end HMD like the Pimax 8K or Valve Index. Still, a 6900XT will probably be a better option in cost/performance. IIRC the 6900 has more Vram also. But could be wrong.

Both are far more than needed for most users though.

Reb58

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2019
    US
    I'm doing the same thing and have done a lot of research lately. Im going with i7-10700k. Though not the fastest, the most bang for my buck.

Problem is, as others have stated, its nearly impossible to buy a current video card now. Ive decided to wait until after the new year for that reason and hope supply increases for new fiscal year. I'm after a rtx 3060 ti but they are only available for 160% premium via ebay. Not for me...no returns if something wrong

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I have not built a new PC in a while. I am still using an original I7 970! With a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 Mainboard, multiple Velociraptors, NVidia GeForce GTX 970. I recently replaced the PS with a quality 80+ 1000W unit. In reality I just surf the net. Back in the day I participated heavily in Distributed Computing Projects, Seti@Home, Folding@Home and the ECCP-109 challenge. I was lucky in the ECCP-109 project to find half of the key. I may get back into gaming, who knows, or if any DCP's are still going on I may return those.

I plan to reuse my current case, just replace and update the fans. I have not kept up with tech, TECH-IMO no longer exists, ars technica is still around and I remembered my old ID and password.

I guess my basic questions are which CPU is currently in the lead Intel or AMD, mainboard and drive recommendations.

Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

I certainly agree with you about Tech! Their football program is pitiful. ) I couldn't help myself.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    If you’re gaming at 1080p like most people do, the high end graphics cards are kind of a waste. Can you tell the difference between 120 and 300fps? Buy the fastest thing you can get for $150 ... that’s about the usual bang for the buck price point.

I too would recommend Intel for stability reasons but I don’t have personal experience with the AMD recent stuff. Honestly choosing a good motherboard with the features you want is probably more important than exact CPU choice or brand at this point in the market. I have good luck with Asus boards over the years, their firmware is usually solid.

I recently built two gaming systems for my kids, with i5-10400s, and they’re great.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    If you’re gaming at 1080p like most people do, the high end graphics cards are kind of a waste. Can you tell the difference between 120 and 300fps? Buy the fastest thing you can get for $150 ... that’s about the usual bang for the buck price point.

I too would recommend Intel for stability reasons but I don’t have personal experience with the AMD recent stuff. Honestly choosing a good motherboard with the features you want is probably more important than exact CPU choice or brand at this point in the market. I have good luck with Asus boards over the years, their firmware is usually solid.

I recently built two gaming systems for my kids, with i5-10400s, and they’re great.

Building stuff is great. Having grown up with the party line, computers are a mystery. I do know where to take them when they act up.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017

Go intel if you want it to work and not have "issues".

I5 10600k (overclocks to 5ghz and is practically an I9 at that speed)

z490 chipset mb

pc4200 during
    finish it off as you see fit.

Both of these posts are hilariously misguided.

#1 Intel has the side channel attack exploit that has existed in every architecture since nehalem. The only way to mitigate that attack is to disable hyperthreading which cuts intel's performance by 30 to 50% depending on the work load. New attacks are found monthly for this exploit.

#2 a 150 dollar graphics card doesn't even get you a graphics card in today's market. The lowest gaming graphics processing units on the current generation of Nvidia are the 3060ti and AMD 6800 (or 5700xt) MSRP on those cards is 400 and 579 respectively. IF YOU CAN FIND ONE IN STOCK.

If you guys give a rats ass about understanding side channel I propose you read the white paper here:

Much like ammo currently all GPU and CPUs are in a massive shortage due to Sars-Cov-2 Backlogs for AMDs newest cpu the Ryzen 5000 series is months (because it's markedly better and more cost effective than any intel chip currently produced.)

I've only been building gaming systems since I was in 4th grade, been doing it for 30 plus years, monitor the hardware channels, OH and I work at an OEM and ODM and have NDA information that you definitely do not have access to. Here's a freebie. Intel's 10nm fabs are currently underperforming and they can't seem to get the chips to not encounter massive issues on 10nm much less 7nm which AMD is already on and headed for 5nm.

But hey... you do you boo.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    To be fair I haven't looked at AMD's new stuff. I used to be an AMD/ATI fan boy, but after multiple video cards dieing from excessive heat to the point it deballed the memory, I wrote them off and have had a much smoother experience my last two intel/nvidia builds. You seem to know the extreme details, and you're probably right. My experience has just been flat different.

side note. Buddy has one of the new ryzens and a 1660 ti running Cold war on medium at 1080p Avg 85fps,

my i5 10600k with a 1660 super runs cold war on high settings at 1440p and I avg just over 100fps.

different cpu and similar cards but I can play at 2x the resolution and on higher settings.
    I would assume his cpu is the bottleneck.

real world.

Last edited:

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands

Yeah, I mistyped. That should have said $350. Oops.

AMD platform firmware in the past was hilariously terrible. Broken USB, etc. I'm sure it's better with the advent of common core UEFI, but like I said, I don't have any experience with current AMD client platforms... just past poor experiences.

On the sidechannel stuff - you linked a paper that extolls the virtues of SGX which hasn't been compromised. That's an interesting one to choose to link to if you're making some point that Intel CPUs are broken. The sidechannel exploits that are currently public are all patched in firmware or hardware & have no bearing at all on current-gen CPU. Yeah, meltdown and TLB flushes suck, but that's in the past and not relevant to current hardware buying choices.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom