• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I just picked this heater up today for $26. Not mint condition but not in terrible shape either. I don’t know if it works, the guy said it did as of when he put it on the shelf 7 years ago. It’s dated 1970
    Has anyone ever used one of these?
    I’ve been looking for a gas heater for the deer blind. Would’ve been handy to have in the pump house during the polar vortex when the power was out...
    Any tips or tricks?
    eb9713e7fc826c34a68f5967524fb394.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

cygunner

Devil's Den - Gettysburg
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Cypress, TX
    Roping buddy of mine about 25 years ago went to a roping and horse sale in Nebraska. It turned cool and they borrowed one for the sleeping quarters in their horse trailer. The next morning they were dead. You need good ventilation so deer or duck blind should be okay. Closed room not so good. Heard they pull an abnormally large amount of oxygen.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have one of the Mr. Buddy propane models. Have not used it yet but it has a low oxygen sensor, a tip over shut off and was only $63 (OOS now of course). I have a CO tester too which I plan on using when I try it out. These things frighten me as CO has no odor and can easily kill you. Must be used in a ventilated area. My CO detector found a large gas leak that I could smell but couldn't pinpoint without the instrument. Probably saved my life having that gas leak detector. My gas line was to an outdoor kitchen. Plumber said they always leak right where they go into the ground. He was right.

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I usually have all the windows on the blind open anyway. I’d think that would be enough ventilation. I was looking at those propane buddy heaters but couldn’t justify the $100.

How well does it radiate heat out in the open? Like say you had it in an open garage or on a picnic table

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I usually have all the windows on the blind open anyway. I’d think that would be enough ventilation. I was looking at those propane buddy heaters but couldn’t justify the $100.

How well does it radiate heat out in the open? Like say you had it in an open garage or on a picnic table

I think you would be good in a blind with windows cracked open a bit. Can't answer the open garage or picnic table. Would not expect much though. Mine was $63 at Lowe's.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

When we lived in WI, I bought a COLEMAN heater & it worked well for camping out BUT those devices were NEVER designed to be used inside a closed structure, like your house..

The little heaters work GREAT in a tent, deer blind, etc. = YES, they do "suck up" oxygen really well so "fresh air" is MANDATORY for safe use..

Also the so-called DELUXE MODEL actually IS worth the few extra bucks that they cost over the "Standard model".
    (The difference in the Standard Model & the DELUXE is usually less than 10 bucks.)

OFTEN you will find NEW OLD STOCK Coleman heaters on ebay.com for LESS than 50 bucks, including S&H.
    (Like the Coleman gasoline lanterns, the heaters are NOT made anymore.)

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    It’s a shame that people don’t know or forget to crack a window. I think there were several cases of people starting their cars in the garage to stay warm during the winter storm and never woke up.

The fact that it produces such gases kinda limits its uses to be honest, but it was intended to be used outdoors to begin with.

I’ll get around to putting some fuel in it soon. It looks in good enough shape that I trust the sellers word without trying it.
    I’m mainly curious about the radiant heat output. How far away do you feel it and how hot does it get etc.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    It seems almost every year the HSLR comes around, the trail riders have an incident with heaters in a trailer. Id definitely have windows open in a blind.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    To All,

When we lived in WI, I bought a COLEMAN heater & it worked well for camping out BUT those devices were NEVER designed to be used inside a closed structure, like your house..

The little heaters work GREAT in a tent, deer blind, etc. = YES, they do "suck up" oxygen really well so "fresh air" is MANDATORY for safe use..

Also the so-called DELUXE MODEL actually IS worth the few extra bucks that they cost over the "Standard model".
    (The difference in the Standard Model & the DELUXE is usually less than 10 bucks.)

OFTEN you will find NEW OLD STOCK Coleman heaters on ebay.com for LESS than 50 bucks, including S&H.
    (Like the Coleman gasoline lanterns, the heaters are NOT made anymore.)

just my OPINIONS, satx
    Coleman continues to make gasoline lanterns, stoves, etc. They call them "Dual Fuel". You can use white gas or unleaded. Regular use with unleaded gums things up faster but is good in a pinch if that's all you got.

1615087878904.png

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Coleman continues to make gasoline lanterns, stoves, etc. They call them "Dual Fuel". You can use white gas or unleaded. Regular use with unleaded gums things up faster but is good in a pinch if that's all you got.

View attachment 247153

Do they though? Their website still shows them but do stores actually still sell them?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Do they though? Their website still shows them but do stores actually still sell them?

sobi1998,

NOT sold around here or at any regular store that I know of.
    (I'll keep getting my Coleman lanterns/stoves on the used market., as long as I can & suspect that I find plenty for my lifetime.)

yours, satx

Huntsman52

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    Those old Coleman heaters work good. I use one in my greenhouse. Just remember you need to light it out in the open as it puts a nice flame about 3 to 4 feet high when first lit. Once the fuel warms up the flames die back and the catalytic stuff starts and it puts out some heat. Takes about 20min to get to this. Only use white gas in the heater. Also if the dome has carbon build up on it you can dowse it in denatured alcohol on the outside and lite it. It will burn the carbon off. For a deer blind it might not be the best spot as the lighting of the heater makes a large flame and does take time to get up to operating temp. I would just do one of those portable screw on propane heaters heads and call it good.

Top Bottom