• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have a portable 1 watt laser that should give you a warm enough dot. It would burn through a paper target, but it would certainly warm a black object enough for recognition. I also have a stand to keep it steady. I would definitely not look at the beam projected on a target with any standard optics without at least +2.5 laser glasses on. Thermal sight would provide the necessary protection.

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I had no problem with a piece of steel ovd the weekend with an older flir clip on.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I never got it sighted in except at 25 yards. Ran out of ammo by noon and then they blew up the car and the rifle range was closed for clean up.

Going to try again this Sunday at ASC.

I did learn the display is damn near impossible to see in daylight. Have to have the wide eyecup installed or you'll see nothing but glare and reflection.

The detection range was pretty decent for a human sized target. People were red hot at 250 yards with the Instalert palette and resolution was good enough to tell they were human. Smaller critters like pigs, coyotes, coons, and turkeys probably wouldn't be recognizable at that range with this entry/mid level FLIR. You'll definitely see them but wouldn't be able to tell what it was.

If anyone wants to mess with it I'm bringing it to ASC for the Houston area TGT meetup this Sunday.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom