• ...and so much more!
  • grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Picked up a new toy at the fun show today:

It's the mid level model of the new FLIR RS thermosights. Comes with a Larue QD mount and hard case. The one I got has 1.25 - 5x zoom, 6 color palettes, video out, bunch of different reticles, 640x480 display and 60hz refresh rate.
    FLIR_01_zps7ab95199.gif

I see u Kitteh!
    FLIR_04_zpse42931a4.gif

FLIR_05_zps5597339a.gif

Be wery wery qwiet... Iz hunting computers:
    FLIR_03_zps4753f731.gif

It was less than MSRP so seemed like a pretty good deal for a thermal WS. Compared to FLIR's $10,000+ T50 thermal sight, this one was relatively inexpensive. It also cost $3,000 less than the comparable ATN unit, has a better user interface and more features and comes with FLIR's warranty (3 years for the unit, and 10 years for the thermal sensor. The vendor said they'd offer lifetime warranty, so I bit and got hooked.
    :abduction:

Now to figure out which rifle to stick it on and buy some handwarmer packs to zero this thing.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Is that what you want to sight tomorrow? Cool!

What do you use as a target to sight it in? Obviously paper will not work...

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Is that what you want to sight tomorrow? Cool!

What do you as a target to sight it in? Obviously paper will not work...

Yah thats the one I want to sight in. The target needs to have one of the little chemical handwarmer packets taped behind the bullseye so you can see it on the display. I need to figure out where to find some of those, Academy probably has some.

Edit: Blah seems no stores actually carry them in stock. Target, Walgreens, CVS, Academy all sell them online but not in their stores, so I probably can't sight in tommorrow. Have to order some hand warmers and have them shipped.

Last edited:

AngeliaH

Life's Peachy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yah thats the one I want to sight in. The target needs to have one of the little chemical handwarmer packets taped behind the bullseye so you can see it on the display. I need to figure out where to find some of those, Academy probably has some.

Edit: Blah seems no stores actually carry them in stock. Target, Walgreens, CVS, Academy all sell them online but not in their stores, so I probably can't sight in tommorrow. Have to order some hand warmers and have them shipped.

Check the First Aid Kits and CVS. I seem to remember that the Storebrand one had hand warmer packets.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What about a candle behind the target? I am sure you could find some of them. Even a standard lightbulb should put out some heat.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    What about a candle behind the target? I am sure you could find some of them. Even a standard lightbulb should put out some heat.

I read MRE heaters work real good. Got a bunch of those left over from Hurricane Ike. I'll bring some of those to Hicksville and tape them onto the car or paper targets or wutever, if the hand warmers don't show up in time.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I read MRE heaters work real good. Got a bunch of those left over from Hurricane Ike. I'll bring some of those to Hicksville and tape them onto the car or paper targets or wutever, if the hand warmers don't show up in time.

I believe I still have some at work. I'll bring them.

I ordered one of these at SHOT Show for a buddy of mine after playing with them extensively. While they seem pretty neat, I just don't do enough hog hunting to justify buying one and really have no other use for it.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Did you get it to the range?

I never did get to shoot with it. The earliest I'll have a chance to really mess with it is this weekend.

There's already a firmware patch out for it. Apparently these units don't save the selected color palette when you power down. At least FLIR had a plan in place to let users update the software on em. I haven't installed the new firmware yet. Too busy with work.

While they seem pretty neat

Isn't that good enough reason to get one ? :p

I blew my Accuracy International AT stash on it, since that rifle is no where in sight. Probably won't be in stores for many months and the entire first production run is all sold out from what I hear. So might be a year before I could get one of those anyway, the FLIR was beckoning to me from inside the display case and I could take it home right away.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Let me know if you need the handwarmer packs.
    Ive got some with my snow skiing gear.

Delta4-3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    I leave a few of my steel targets painted black and they retain enough heat that they show up well through thermal. You can also see impacts.

Top Bottom