• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • To safety or not to safety, that is the question.

• Yes, spend the money on the external ambi safety.

Votes: 5 26.3%
    • No, it's not really needed.

Votes: 14 73.7%

• Total voters

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I didn't realize there were 2 versions. I found the cheaper version with no external safety and the one with the external safety for $80 more. What do you guys think? Spend a bit more and get the external safety or is it not really needed? Does the one with the external safety still have a mag safety?

Thanks in advance for any input.

I found them for $499 and $579 so the other question is should I go ahead and get one or should I wait for the gun show next weekend.
    Military Camp

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think if you're asking the question, you don't know the gun well enough to buy it yet. You need to be comfortable with it's function to know which is best for you.

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I think if you're asking the question, you don't know the gun well enough to buy it yet. You need to be comfortable with it's function to know which is best for you.
    I'll have to disagree. I guess what I am asking is if you would pay the extra for the external safety. Even better, if it was the same price, which would you pick. I have not owned a pistol without an external safety but it doesn't mean I'm not open to the idea.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Are you sure the safety is the only difference? That sounds more like the difference in price between a plain and night sight versions. Check them and make sure.

I have had both. For carry the non-safety would be my choice. The safety levers make the frame much wider and they rub a raw spot on my side.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I'll have to disagree. I guess what I am asking is if you would pay the extra for the external safety. Even better, if it was the same price, which would you pick. I have not owned a pistol without an external safety but it doesn't mean I'm not open to the idea.

I think what JKTex was getting at is that it is a matter of personal preference, a subjective issue that you have to decide for yourself. Some people just don't feel good about a gun that does not have a conventional external safety, while others prefer not to have to deal with it and rely on their own gun handling skills to provide the requisite level of safety. Whether or not a person would pay for it would depend on whether they wanted it or not. If I wanted it, I would pay for it. Simple as that. And then there is the concealed carry comfort factor, as was pointed out.

As an aside, I am surprised that the M&P has a magazine safety, regardless of whether or not it has an external safety.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I have an M&P 40 and love it. I also shoot and own or have owned glocks and XD's so I got rid of my thumb safety OCD some time ago. That being said..... IMO there is absolutely no need from a functional perspective for an external safety for an M&P to be "safe".

On the magazine safety, they had them at first but as far as I know, and thanks S&W or else I wouldn't consider buying one, none of them have them anymore. I know that mine doesn't and in the end that is all that matters to me.

Top Bottom