Hurley's Gold

I don't always support insurance companies, but when I do...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The rise in crime rate isn't the primary reason citizens are buying concealed carry insurance. The increase in liberal judges and legal systems are the driving factors. My chance of an encounter haven't changed greatly in the last few years. The odds of surviving the legal system has changed for the worse.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Youtube has some good information regarding various gun insurance (it's not technically insurance) coverage and what to look for. There's a lot of them, so I watched one a day for a few weeks. About one a day was all I could digest...

Still couldn't decide.

Here's partially why: Some let you pick your lawyers, other won't let you, some have clauses that essentially say if you make a self defense claim, they get to choose whether they'll cover you...or not, even though you've paid for the coverage...there's a jillion pitfalls in this so-call coverage.

In some instances, they offer various different tiers of coverage.

Often,the lowest cost coverage is not worth a bucket of spit and as you get higher in cost it might even cover civil suits, but you'll pay through the teeth for this kinda coverage.

If say, you've been paying for coverage for 10 years without a self defense claim, by that much time has elapsed, you may have paid thousands and thousands of dollars for coverage that may not have adequately covered you anyway...beware of buying this type coverage as it may not be even be vaguely adequate.

Caveat Emptor!

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Youtube has some good information regarding various gun insurance (it's not technically insurance) coverage and what to look for. There's a lot of them, so I watched one a day for a few weeks. About one a day was all I could digest...

Still couldn't decide.

Here's partially why: Some let you pick your lawyers, other won't let you, some have clauses that essentially say if you make a self defense claim, they get to choose whether they'll cover you...or not, even though you've paid for the coverage...there's a jillion pitfalls in this so-call coverage.

In some instances, they offer various different tiers of coverage.

Often,the lowest cost coverage is not worth a bucket of spit and as you get higher in cost it might even cover civil suits, but you'll pay through the teeth for this kinda coverage.

If say, you've been paying for coverage for 10 years without a self defense claim, by that much time has elapsed, you may have paid thousands and thousands of dollars for coverage that may not have adequately covered you anyway...beware of buying this type coverage as it may not be even be vaguely adequate.

Caveat Emptor!
    All very valid points. Be an informed shopper. Even better when you got car or house insurance. You did get insurance for property...right???? Don't leave yourself out of the equation. Massad Ayoob offers his perspective on getting carry insurance. He has been in the court system as an expert witness for over 40 years. Mas knows how to spot a fraud and know who will really help.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    If you lose your case in a self defense shooting, there are some of the so-called carry coverage entities, that will demand all the money spent to defend you has to be reimbursed back to them.

If you have a specific carry coverage entity in mind, you better look into this 'reimbursement scheme' if you lose your case...

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Better read their terms & exclusions !
    Yes, read the fine print. To narrow your search down do an internet search on terms 'best concealed carry insurance''. Skip past the ads and read several blogs that rank and rate different insurance offerings. You can sort out the bad to not so good to likely prospects.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Yes, read the fine print. To narrow your search down do an internet search on terms 'best concealed carry insurance''. Skip past the ads and read several blogs that rank and rate different insurance offerings. You can sort out the bad to not so good to likely prospects.
    <>

Doug, if you’ve done that’ please tell us your opinion.

I, and many, are only interested in multi-state coverage.

Thanks,

leVieux

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    <>

Doug, if you’ve done that’ please tell us your opinion.

I, and many, are only interested in multi-state coverage.

Thanks,

leVieux
    Thanks for asking but I didn't take my own advice when I bought US Law Shield years ago. They were doing a road show several times a year in the DFW area so I went to several presentations and bought in.

After watching Massad Ayoob's video on concealed carry insurance (posted elsewhere on this forum) I did take my own advice and reviewed my insurance coverage needs which for now is best done by US Law Shield. BUT BUT taking another look at CCW Safe could be a game changer.

Important factors to weigh in on the choice:
    • Do you need multi-state coverage not just TX due to travel [CCW Safe and US Law Shield provide it above basic plan]
    • Any minor children in household that might need coverage
    • Do you think bail bond fee protection fee and expert witness might be needed
    • Cost per month/annually
    • Attorney available 24/7
    • Can you get expert witness in coverage
    • Do you exercise constitutional carry (no permit at all)
    • What is your homeowner's liability coverage if any
    • Are you active/retired LEO, military, carry with a permit
    In general looking over the different plans one can mix/match different needs wants to find what best fits your situation. Each insurance company will have no problem selling you more than what you really need. Be a smart shopper and read the find print.

Top Bottom