• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2017
    Georgetown Tx.
    I admit I'm an old fart, and a lot of things have changed since the years I grew up in the 1950's, guns, cars and even pocket knives. EWhat I don't get is the last 20 years of so the trend of large locking blade so called "tactical" knives.

To me, a pocket knife was always a smallish two or even three blade little thing that opened packages, sliced some snacks now and then, or cut string or rope when needed. When I was 12, we had our boy scout knives that even had a screw driver and bottle and can openers. When Buck cane out with the big brass lock blade, I didn't understand then why someone needed a knife that weighed as much as a small pocket pistol and only held one single blade to cut with.

Now I see all these knives that are on the large side, one blade, all inds of locking mechanisms, and weird blade shapes that look awkward for general use as a cutting tool. To emit seems like they are mostly sold as a 99% weapon and 1% knife for real world cutting. I tried one, a all metal handle thing with a Japanese sword shaped blade tip. Carried it around for a week and gave it away. Aside from the blade being too wide or too big, it was limiting to have only one blade on hand.

Do you guys carry a knife now as a weapon,?

Most weapon knives I've seen used have all been pretty thin bladed and pointy, like boning knives, butcher knives, and such. Growing up where I did in a bad part of town, knives were used as weapons, but they were way different than the knives I see clipped to pockets now. And I guess that's another thing I don't understand; why advertise what you're carrying and where it is with such a visible clip on a pants pocket? They always told us to never let anyone know what you've got until you use.

Can you all explain the tactical knife thing to an old white bearded retired guy?
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hard to open and old timer on short notice.

Switch blades were illegal for a long time so a larger knife is easier to manipulate under stress.

Without real examples of what you consider a large knife it's hard to say though. I've seen all kinds of awkward junk on a gas station.

I also know that the knives we used in the military were definitely not an old 3 blade case. Course, they would also cut wire and even small locks.

I'm not biased though.

b1c5edf5e6ecac6d3a6f08774f7a6303.jpg

I like my case for many things, self defense is not in the list.

Also consider that at close distance a knife is often much more dangerous than a gun.

Edit to add: pocket clips- if you are using a knife for defense someone is already way to close. At that point having to dig for, and orient, a knife for defensive use is probably not a good thing. A clip keeps it in place and ready accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JD9305

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Austin & Ranch in Llano
    I carry a micro tech switch blade for 3 things, self defense, everyday use at home and work and also because it has a sharp point on the opposite end of the blade in case you need to break out a window. I agree with Young gun on the clip....if I had to try and dig a case style knife outta my pocket everyday multiple times it would drive me crazy!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Some of it depends on need. My current work knife (Kershaw Scallion) is a relatively small single-bladed knife. Space can be at a premium at work, so the smaller size is preferred. I also reach for it several times a day, so having the clip just makes things much easier (accessibility, same orientation every time).

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Three bladed knives were designed for whittleing, for which they work well.
    My folding Buck?
    At one time I could get it open as fast as I could a switch blade. It cut or stripped wire. Planed wood. Cut steaks or butchered a deer. Whatever I needed it for, it would do fairly efficiently without breaking.
    Never used it to fight. Although there was this time in downtown Dallas it was a fairly handy thing to have.
    Right now I have 3 small blades on me. Each for different things and a Gerber multi-tool.
    from an idgit coffeeholic

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Even though we are about the same vintage, I'm ashamed to admit that in "the day" I used knives to hurt people. I referred to it as "whittling" and the idea was to cut any piece or part of the other guy until his clothes and body were in tatters. When you respond with unrelenting aggression, sooner or later, the other guy is gonna bolt for safety. Those knives were fairly small but extremely sharp. They were for cutting instead of stabbing.

The length of today's carry knives confuse me. That kind of knife fighting requires a longer blade with a solid base. When you stick the guy, he will twist and snap the blade right off. It must be long enough to cut the heart. A friend was murdered in Highlands a while back exactly that way.

A serious knife blade must lock open. If you've ever had a knife close over your fingers, that would need no explanation!

There must be an effective hilt to keep your fingers off of the edge of a sharp blade. A friend was "Noodling" catfish in Oklahoma, tried to stab his knife into the skull of a catfish which is solid bone. His hand slipped down the blade and cut 4 of his fingers almost completely off! The last time I saw him, he had a whole hand bandage. Never did know if he made a good recovery. The point is that when the knife is wet or has blood on it, it gets slippery. There must be some way to keep your fingers off of the blade!

My 2 cents.

Flash

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My folding single blade knife has assisted open -a fairly modern innovation (it may be tactical) that I'd hate to be without. I don't whittle or play mumbley peg.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My state of confusion about knives [in Texas] resides more along the lines of knowing what will get ya in trouble with the law - not just state law but also the multitude of local laws and ordinances regulating pocket and/or self defense knives. My EDC knife is a little 2" blade, cheap Chinese knock-off that's not good for anything except opening boxes or envelopes! It's sure not the kind of self-defense knife I'd opt to carry.

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I like old school pocket knives also.
    Barlow, Canoe, maybe a Stockman are more practical for me.
    I only carry the larger knives when hunting or fishing.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Back in 1992 the book rogue warrior by richard marcinko came out and it featured Emerson knives. These were
    Small 3" pocket clip tactical folders. dick took us all on many trips and made the knife style legendary. You might not be a SEAL but you can "have the knife" and that's the same thing right?

I like my case trapper lock. It's a compromise but combines style and use.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I think many people with boring jobs fancy themselves "tactical".

Shut up! You take that back! What if the cable puller guy at the data center goes spare and comes at me with a RJ45 terminator tool! Tactical knife! But normally I just use it to cut boxes open, or sandwiches in half.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Shut up! You take that back! What if the cable puller guy at the data center goes spare and comes at me with a RJ45 terminator tool! Tactical knife! But normally I just use it to cut boxes open, or sandwiches in half.

Um, wut?

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If a feller is that old, and that's what's bugging him.
    I'd say he's pretty laid back.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    It's a matter of perception. The Buck 110 introduced in 1963 set the standard for folding knives. Most folders today are a copy of the design. I not young by no means. I can remember lots of folks carrying a Buck knife. What you see today is new imaginations of the old.

Top Bottom