• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My state of confusion about knives [in Texas] resides more along the lines of knowing what will get ya in trouble with the law - not just state law but also the multitude of local laws and ordinances regulating pocket and/or self defense knives. My EDC knife is a little 2" blade, cheap Chinese knock-off that's not good for anything except opening boxes or envelopes! It's sure not the kind of self-defense knife I'd opt to carry.

Sent from my Apple thang using Tapatalk

You may want to read up here.

. Sept. 1, 2015: Today is the effective date for Knife Rights' signature Knife Law Preemption bill in Texas. Several Texas cities will see their restrictive knife laws voided today. The new law invalidates all municipal and county knife ordinances more restrictive than state law, creating uniform knife laws throughout the Lone Star State. The new law also ensues that Knife Rights' repeal of the state's ban on switchblade (automatic) knives that was passed in 2013 will now have effect throughout the state

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=322
    DK Firearms

sineypem

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2014
    TEXAS
    I carry a Microtech Socom, been used for cutting zip ties to a piece of steak it's a knife it's a tool use it where it needs to be used.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Thanks for that Southpaw! Yeah, I certainly wasn't caught up on the latest. The Texas statewide law preemption was definitely needed. Did I read correctly that a Bowie knife can now be carried? (And is there a blade length restriction?). The prohibition against carrying a Bowie knife in Texas always struck me as being sacrilegious!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Three bladed knives were designed for whittleing

Not quite true. The three blades on a stockman pattern knife like the one shown by YG all have pretty specific purposes. The blunt blade is for castrating, the sheepsfoot blade is for notching ears, and the clip blade is more of a general use blade (skinning, food prep, etc.).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not quite true. The three blades on a stockman pattern knife like the one shown by YG all have pretty specific purposes. The blunt blade is for castrating, the sheepsfoot blade is for notching ears, and the clip blade is more of a general use blade (skinning, food prep, etc.).

That's how it was intended.

For my use the clip blade is for general use, the sheep foot is for when the clip gets dull, the Spey blade is when the other two are dull and tells me it's time to sharpen and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've been through two long ass labor strikes, both 13 weeks long. Hell, I went out to lunch one day and when I returned, the picket lines were up! SO....I whittled, day after day and enjoyed making the wooden balls encased in a wooden cage. I got pretty good at it and made quite a number of them of different sizes and number of wooden balls. Had them in a toolbox for years until my storage building was broken into and all of them were gone.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What type of wood did you use, anything in particular?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    That's how it was intended.

For my use the clip blade is for general use, the sheep foot is for when the clip gets dull, the Spey blade is when the other two are dull and tells me it's time to sharpen and start over.

lol

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    cb51,

You've gotten a lot of good answers to your question.

The one not mentioned is so called tactical knife carry is a fad.

"Hey man, I carry a big honking clip-it for all the world to see my bona fides".

So, there's a good chance, I'm also carrying a gun.

Yup!

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Some of my "whittlers" (LOL):

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      59 KB · Views: 285

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I carried a 110 back in the day. Carried it enough to lose one and get another, say I guess 20 years or so. I OWNED a big old honk'n 119 fixed blade I carried once or twice out in the wild Indiana bush lands. My fav quote back then, "Better to have a big one and need a little one than need a big one and have a little one." Yeah we were all kids once.

Then I carried my Dad's and my grand dad's pocket knives for a long long time until I got worried I'd lose one. About that time a good friend gave me a Benchmade 154cm automatic knife. Never really got the appeal of that dumb looking clip on all those kids pockets, then I started carrying this Benchmade. It's pretty much my every day knife now. Easy to open even with old hands, sharp as a razor, stays clipped in my pocket where I want it. No more holes in the pocket where the knife lays.

Wife liked it so much she was always trying to get mine so I bought her one. She carries hers and uses it every day in her office job.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Can you all explain the tactical knife thing to an old white bearded retired guy?
    I find pocket knives that are a little larger (3.5"-4") are more versatile. There's just more utility tasks a blade of that size can cope with. Being able to draw and open the knife easily with one hand is also very important, as I'm usually holding the thing to be cut with the other hand. That covers the functionality of it, but the "tactical" thing is mostly just cosmetic stuff. Like evil black rifles...

I'm certainly not going to be getting into any knife fights. That's why I always wear shoes I can run in and carry a gun for when I can't.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    First carry was a swiss army knife early on in my life, then buck 501. Next was a buck 110. When I was 16 the buck 110 was used to persuade an agressive drunk with a personal beef against me from being too stupid. When I was 17 I got a fix blade dagger carried at the small of my back as protection against another person who took exception to my being while I walked to and from work. Schools at the time were permissive of carry as long as it wasn't shown. Worse case teacher would take a knife away.

I carry at least a 3 in blade when at all possible. On the rare occasion I don't have one in the pocket I feel out of sorts. Utility of having it as a tool have been countless.

Top Bottom