• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    A friend of mine gave me a ingersoll rand 80 gal with a seized air pump and missing pressure switch. Everything else is good on it. A new pump from them is stupid expensive and I’ll probably go the cheaper equivalent route. It’s a 5hp 240v. Problem is I only have 1 240 plug so I was thinking can I add a gas engine instead of electric motor?

Doable? I’ve done something similar on a smaller scale.
    Gun Zone Deals

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The gas powered compressors are loud, but they work well. My dad has one in his shop we used a lot, until the damn tank developed a hole at one of the welds. He bit the bullet and got an electric one with a 60? gallon tank on it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I'd put 2hp 120 volt pump on it.
    It'll catch up slower, but the 80 gallon volume would be nice to have.
    Many times volume is better than higher air pressure.

When the old compressor at my brother's shop failed several years ago, (pump failed after over twenty years!) he bought a brand new Ingersol Rand 100 gallon compressor. We took the pump and motor off the old compressor and plumbed the new one into it. Gives him about 180 gallons of volume.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    The gas powered compressors are loud, but they work well. My dad has one in his shop we used a lot, until the damn tank developed a hole at one of the welds. He bit the bullet and got an electric one with a 60? gallon tank on it.
    Totally agree. Unless the compressor was outside, I personally wouldn't go with gasoline powered compressor. Electrically driven compressors are loud enough.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Totally agree. Unless the compressor was outside, I personally wouldn't go with gasoline powered compressor. Electrically driven compressors are loud enough.

Yeah, it was loud as hell. You had to wear ear pro (I mean, you should ANYWAY) but even though the compressor was near the roll up door and we never ran it without the door open, it was LOUD. Unpleasantly so.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yeah, it was loud as hell. You had to wear ear pro (I mean, you should ANYWAY) but even though the compressor was near the roll up door and we never ran it without the door open, it was LOUD. Unpleasantly so.
    I know. I have had lots of service trucks over the years that had gasoline powered compressors, and they are loud outside.

Top Bottom