• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    I recently puchased a new 9mm to add to my collection. I bought a Stoeger Cougar 8000. You may know that this gun used to be manufactured by Beretta, and was called the Beretta Cougar 8000. However, Stoeger Industries is now manufacturing the Cougar line of pistols in Turkey. What I bought is actually a clone of the Beretta Cougar 8000, and it sells for about half what they did when Beretta marketed them. The only differences I know of are that the name "Stoeger" is rolled onto the barrel instead of Beretta, and the guys who assembled this gun speak Turkish rather than Italian. :cool:

If you aren't familiar with them, here's a link that shows you something about them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SU5t8Hyuek&NR=1

Friends, in short, I am LOVING this thing! It is the sweetest nine I've ever fired and I just can't get enough of it. It is one of only two guns being currently manufactured that has that wonderful rotating barrel technology. This process eats up a lot of the felt recoil, and makes the gun an absolute joy to shoot. The other of the two guns that incorporates this unusual design feature is the Beretta Px4 Storm.

If there is anyone out there in the San Antonio area who has a Px4 Storm, either full-size or compact, who would let me tag along to the range with you and shoot a few rounds, I'll treat you to lunch and pay the range fee. I'm enjoying this Stoeger so much that my next gun will likely be the Px4, or the "little brother" version of it. But I would sure like to fire one first. I'm sure you know what I mean. If you are interested, please drop me a PM. Thanks!

For the record, the Px4 SubCompact has the more commonly known "tilting barrel" rather than the rotating barrel. (Probably because it's a lot smaller than the full-sized version.)

Amistad
    ARJ Defense ad

Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Thanks for the additional info, DirtyD. The gun rag that I read an article in about the Stoeger Cougar 8000 made that observation. Apparently the author is in error. (Is the STI GP6 currently being produced?)

Later Edit: Yep, I see that the STI GP6 is indeed in current production.

Amistad

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Stoeger, like Uberti, Benelli, Franchi, Bernardelli and others are now divisions of Beretta having been bought out by the much larger company. The Stoeger Cougar is not a copy but a Beretta which is manufactured in Turkey. I have one and it is every bit the fine quality Beretta pistol it actually is. Your warranty card should show the Beretta address in Maryland.

My Cougar is up to Beretta quality standards in every way. Turkey has a long history in the firearms industry which is probably why Beretta chose it as an off shore factory location (cheaper skilled labor sound familiar?)

The biggest problem Turkey has is in translating Turkish to English on their web based marketing. Without being unkind I suggest checking out the web sites for Yildiz shotguns and Stoeger firearms. They really need a native English speaking proof-reader.

Good guns....poor linguistic training.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    gunney.jpg

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    I wasn't making fun of the Turkish people or their culture or ability. If anything the quality of my Yildiz and Stoeger Cougar should speak to that. They simply need to edit English translations before publishing them. The Yildiz web site has improved. When I bought my Yildiz 20 ga. three years ago it was gibberish. So was the instruction booklet.

Amistad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    Looks like there are no takers on my hoping to shoot a PX4 Storm. I guess perhaps my request is a bit unusual. You know -- the "total stranger" thing. And of course, I understand that.

For what it's worth, my Ruger SP-101 and my Taurus 608 were purchased after my having sought out someone in my area, and finding someone who graciously allowed me to fire these respective guns a few times. So it surely doesn't hurt to ask...

I'm sure loving this Stoeger Cougar 8000. What a gun!

Amistad

Top Bottom