• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I acquired a safe from my parents. I needed to move it about 25 miles from their house to mine.
    I already had a Liberty Fatboy Jr and moved it when I moved houses a few years ago. That safe as about 700 pounds and 4 friends and I moved it out of one garage into another. It wasn't terrible but all of us struggled with it since it was pretty wide and getting a hand hold wasn't easy.
    This new safe was on a whole different level. It is a National Security magnum 50. There is NO WAY the four of us could move this thing. It is literally big enough for my wife and I to get in and have elbow room to spare. I knew it was heavier than the Fatboy But needed to know since I was going to hire a company to move it. Liberty has bought the National Security name since My dad bought the safe about 25 years ago. I looked on Liberty's site for the specs and they list it weighing over 1500 pounds.
    I Googled and called several places in the Houston area that claim they move safes and most of them said they had a maximum of 1200 pounds. One place, Safemoves.net, said they could do it. I talked to Jeff and he asked what kind of safe and I told him. He asked if it was a Liberty or original Nat Sec. I said original and he said that those were built better and weighed about 2000 pounds. Holy shit that's heavy. He gave me a quote of $850 bolted in the new location. I thought it was OK but wanted more quotes. I called two more movers after that and both of them said nope but call Jeff at safemoves and he can do it. Huh, OK looks like Jeff is the only game in town for me. I called him back and agreed to him moving the safe and set a date. Saturday comes around and we all show up at my parents house. A 3/4 ton Dodge with a trailer pulls in and two guys jump out. I said where's the rest of your guys, this thing is huge. Nope just them two. He did tell me he was sweating this move since we agreed on it.

This is right after sizing up the job and getting the game plan. For whatever reason my dad put the safe on these concrete blocks with no anchors. A large prybar and a pallet jack at first to take it off the blocks.
    wHaJeiN.jpg

They put it on a fancy dolly that could raise and lower the load. They used this to climb the brick stairs. One more hick up was the safe was too tall for the doorway when on the dolly at an angle. These two pulled it off after lots of pondering.
    E3PBLQo.jpg

j5qO7EC.jpg

8TZy4hX.jpg

After getting out of the house it was as simple as roll it to the trailer.
    ATg5e1u.jpg

The trailer was also specialized. It could hydraulically lower and raise the deck so you could just roll the dolly on and not have to use any ramps. This is at the new location removing it from the trailer. As you can see, Jeff doesn't have enough ass to budge the thing over. The other guy and I had to push and shove it over onto the other wheels.
    supKcg0.jpg

I know this thing is a beast but surprisingly it was not too bad to slide once on the carpet. They dropped it close to where I wanted it and then pushed/slid it into its final resting place.
    Bolting down in final spot.
    K3nBbms.jpg

All done
    ZsduB1Z.jpg

8dFTBCz.jpg

Safemoves did a heck of a good job. Nothing was damaged and I can now enjoy my new old safe.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Well I also wanted a place for people to come to tell about their safe movers. It was surprisingly hard to find a company to move this thing.

Who have you or someone you know used?

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    72"H x 42"W x 32"D
    between 1500-2000 pounds.

Bolting down may seem unnecessary since it has never been bolted to the ground but like I said one person could slide it on the carpet. Not easily but can be done. There is also my wife and her saying it will be bolted down. She has a few irrational fears and she thinks it will tip over and crush her.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    How long did the move take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From start to finish about 2 hours. We spent some time figuring the best way to get it out of my parents house. Once out, the rest was easy. They were worried about breaking the brick steps.
    It was well worth the price because the houses didn't get damaged and nobody got hurt.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    From start to finish about 2 hours. We spent some time figuring the best way to get it out of my parents house. Once out, the rest was easy. They were worried about breaking the brick steps.
    It was well worth the price because the houses didn't get damaged and nobody got hurt.

2 hours doesn't sound bad at all...

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    I bought my safe maybe 7 yrs ago. The el cheapo Winchester and they loaded it onto my trailer with a fork lift. This is about a 370 lbs safe but I’ve always been a 1 man show so I tried to get it unloaded and into the house. I finally had to call a couple of buddies to come give me a hand moving it in the house but I had it unloaded, upright, & on a dolly when they arrived. Yes, they were impressed.

When we moved to our current residence we hire movers and they charged an extra $100 just for the safe.

I need another safe (don’t we all) and when I purchase I will pay to have it delivered. I’m done moving safes.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Please tell me it's not in a bathroom with a shower where humidity will be a problem????

Heck no! I've always had my other safe in the garage and rust was a big deal. I also couldn't park my truck next to the safe. When we were looking at buying our new house I told my wife that the safe will be inside. It wasn't an option. It's in the den now.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Heck no! I've always had my other safe in the garage and rust was a big deal. I also couldn't park my truck next to the safe. When we were looking at buying our new house I told my wife that the safe will be inside. It wasn't an option. It's in the den now.

Shower Curtain to right???

Top Bottom