Join TexasGunTalk

I hate January.....

Discussion in 'Rants and Raves' started by TexasRedneck, Jan 11, 2020.

1. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    January is when everything hits for us - insurance on our vehicles (personal AND business), house AND business (General Liability) AND property taxes. First part of the month, my accounts look like we're rich - by about the 15th, I've seen crackheads with more money......lol
    Flip side is, at least it'll be all over and done with - in fact, all the checks have been written, and I'm not overdrafted, so we're good. But it's the time of year when you REALLY understand just what it takes to operate everything. I've toyed with spreading it out more, but in reality it just delays the inevitable and I always worry about overlooking something.
    This year was also my "keep 'em honest" year - when I get quotes from other insurance companies just to compare rates. Germania continues to offer us the best overall deal, especially since the guns are covered as "household goods", so I don't need to have a separate rider for them.

pronstar, Charlie and oldag like this.
  2. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I concur.

Dad_Roman and Hoji like this.
  3. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yeah, I hate writing the fuckers a check( property taxes) as well as insurance, etc, but it is easier to just do it in January and forget about it for a year than to spread it out and think about it every month

Southpaw, jordanmills and Dad_Roman like this.
  4. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

All of mine have been paid for a month.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  5. TexasRedneck

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    And if they offered me a discount to pay early, I'd happily do so. Otherwise, they can wait......lol

6. TexasRedneck

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - same here. Even though I have auto-pay through the bank, I don't trust anyone to remember to pay MY bills, so I just get 'em outta the way as soon as I can. Doesn't mean I like it, though......lol

Dad_Roman likes this.
  7. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    About the time you think you might be doing ok, the government and the insurance folks gang up to make you understand that life ain't free!

TheDan, EZ-E, jordanmills and 2 others like this.
  8. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Yep, been with them for 20 years. Sold my home in the country and moved to a rental in the big city. Priced insurance last year and nobody could beat them and Farmers was 2x the price.

You forgot medical insurance deductibles from the new year expense.

9. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Aint like that money was drawing big interest! They bill people months early hoping they forget so they can hit them with fees!

oldag likes this.
  10. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Vodak, The Choice of a New Generation TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    This last year was the first where I managed to squirrel away money every month to cover every annual expense. Man that made life less stressful when those bills came due. Just paid them and moved on.

My parents owned their own small business. I feel your pain to be sure.

jordanmills and Southpaw like this.