i have a ammo ?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by robertl1974, Jun 16, 2008.

1. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    i would like to know if monach is a good brand i get it from academy for $13 i brought 3 boxes sat and when i was reloading some mags i notice a strong smell they set my smoke alarms off in my house i had to take them to the garage to air out is this normal i was in my bedroom when i was reloading what do you guys think thanks for the help
    monarchammo.jpg

2. TexasGuns

TexasGuns Member

May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    I have never heard of such...

3. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    I'm a little slow so let me make sure I understand. While you were loading up some mags with factory loaded ammo you set off your smoke alarms:eek:? Did you fire them? Do you have a true smoke alarm or one of the Carbon detectors? And are you 100% sure that dinner didn't set it off? Sorry, I know that was bad, but I couldn't help it.

Seriously though I'm curious for a couple more details as I've never heard of anything remotely close to this happening.

4. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    when we can find em, we use monarch and sell monarch all the time with no problems.

5. robertl1974

robertl1974 New Member

Jun 13, 2008
    houston tx
    hi guys no shooting yeah they are smoke alarms no i do not cook in the house i am 34 and single burger king and taco bell do my cooking for me lol and when i was reloading the mags my eyes were hurting the only thing i could think of it was the ammo that cause it because it had a strong smell from the boxes ever since i put them in the garage to air out it's been ok i feel fine now

6. jim t

jim t Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    I have 20 or so boxes of monarch on my desk right now. they have been there for most of 4 monthes. never had any problem with them. I like the way it shoots and buy it as offten as I can:p

7. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Wow, that is odd. I've not shot it much but I've never experienced anything similar. Even reloading in a not so well ventilated area never gave me problems much less the cleaning stuff in the same area (a 10x10 storage shed closed up with an 8000btu window unit running full bore to keep my fatass cool in the heat b/c id rather pay an expensive utility bill monthly instead of a one time cost to insulate it:rolleyes:). That is strange and I would be concerned that something is not right. Hell maybe you could just sell it to JimT and be done with it. Why run the risk if it's a reaction(maybe allergy type) you had to it not shared by others.

And sorry for the dumb questions, I was pretty sure of your answers, and tried to practice restraint, but I am after all just a weak man.

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My experience with Monarch is that it's a bit smokier and dirtier than most, but it hasn't failed to go boom, and is certainly cheap enough.

Of all the types I've used I prefer Corbon, Hornady, and Speer. I've had soft loads and cracked casings with Blaser (both brass and aluminum), soft loads with borderline squibs on Wolf.

I've shot Independence brand in .45 and it ran well. Real similar to WWB in that it's dirty dirty but feels good. S&B has also produced good stuff from my experience, although it's usually kinda dirty (as in metal slurry from casings in the box).

What I would suggest is calling Monarch and asking them if it is possible for fumes to propagate out of the ammo due to improper storage or excessive heat. Always better safe than sorry.

9. 308nato

308nato TGT Addict

Over the last two years I have probably shot about 6ooo rds of Monarch
    9mm brass case with no problems that you have had.
    Also about 300 rds of 45 cal.

10. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    Some of the monarch have that lacquer coating on it maybe that had somthing to do with it were they brass or steel casing. I think that the green boxes are brass and the blue is steel with the lacquer coating