• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Depends on what you’re going to do with it.
    Collectable? U.S.G.I. Is the way to go.
    Shooter? New made.
    Originals are all WW2 era made guns. They’re worn out except for the premium grade collectables which you’d be crazy to shoot.
    New made guns have brand new barrels so they’ll shoot better. Plus you can modify them without wrecking their value like would happen if you drilled/tapped for optics or bedded the action on a G.I. gun.

If you decide to go the USGI route be aware that the great majority of carbines are not anywhere near original. Most have been rebuilt during their military service using all manner of different parts.
    These are commonly referred to as mixmasters or sometimes “bitzers” as in made up of various bits.
    These are very common.

Many sold today are what I call “fake originals”.
    These are guns that have had most of the parts changed back to original(or even counterfeit) maker parts so they can be sold at inflated prices. These are particularly present in the more desirable versions such as Rock-Ola, Winchester, Irwin-Peterson.
    Do your research! Don’t get ripped off. Approach any All Original carbine with caution. Especially the folding stock paratrooper model. Fakes abound.
    USGI carbines are very collectable and popular.
    Heck, even the magazines themselves have collectors.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I got one of the CMP M1 carbines--dates back to '43, I believe. It's a great firearm and since all the ammo is non-corrosive, I've got NO problem shooting that sucker. I might look into getting one of the newer commercial versions, but not out of fear for shooting my current carbine.

Hill Billy

USN 1974 -1977
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    Depends on what you’re going to do with it.
    Collectable? U.S.G.I. Is the way to go.
    Shooter? New made.
    Originals are all WW2 era made guns. They’re worn out except for the premium grade collectables which you’d be crazy to shoot.
    New made guns have brand new barrels so they’ll shoot better. Plus you can modify them without wrecking their value like would happen if you drilled/tapped for optics or bedded the action on a G.I. gun.

If you decide to go the USGI route be aware that the great majority of carbines are not anywhere near original. Most have been rebuilt during their military service using all manner of different parts.
    These are commonly referred to as mixmasters or sometimes “bitzers” as in made up of various bits.
    These are very common.

Many sold today are what I call “fake originals”.
    These are guns that have had most of the parts changed back to original(or even counterfeit) maker parts so they can be sold at inflated prices. These are particularly present in the more desirable versions such as Rock-Ola, Winchester, Irwin-Peterson.
    Do your research! Don’t get ripped off. Approach any All Original carbine with caution. Especially the folding stock paratrooper model. Fakes abound.
    USGI carbines are very collectable and popular.
    Heck, even the magazines themselves have collectors.
    Thank you VERY much for the help.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hill Billy,

Inasmuch as ORIGINAL .30 caliber US Carbines are RARER than hen's teeth, IF you want one for a shooter, look around for a DEPOT REBUILT carbine that was sold by DCM/CMP. or for a HOWA carbine that was made for the Thai Army or National Police.
    (A "little bird told me" that a whole flock of the carbines are going to be re-imported to the USA from OCONUS in the next year to 18 months.)

Personally, the ONLY M1 carbine that I'd pay to own is a JOHNSON conversion in .22 SPITFIRE.

yours, satx

Kingarthur777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2018
    Livingston
    Those are neat little rifles, especially the parachute versions. However, if you want to find one in good condition that is stamped with a USG# that is not easy, or inexpensive.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

IF you just want a "decent shooter", check out SARCO, J&G & the other large surplus/parts dealers for an ORIGINAL "stripped" receiver, barrel, stock of your choice & then gather up the small parts to build your own carbine.
    (That's the route that I'm planning to take the next time that SARCO has stripped receivers & .22 SPITFIRE barrels available, as an ORIGINAL Johnson "conversion", with the proper serial number, of the M1 Carbine is well over 2,500.oo. = ImVho, that's awfully expensive for what is really a "mixmaster" that was largely "assembled from spare parts" by MMJ, Inc.)

NOTE: The last time that I looked, J&G had EXACT REPLICAS of the so-called "paratrooper stocks" (Fwiw, the "folding stock carbines" were actually made for tank crews.) for sale at a reasonable price.

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I would bet everything in my checking account that 90+ percent of the so-called "Original paratrooper" M1/M2/M3 carbines (other than the FEW that are in military museums) are FAKES or "assemblages" from spare parts using replica stocks.
    (There are any number of "properly marked" & 100% FAKE "paratrooper stocks" for sale at HIGH prices "on-line" & at the gun shows. The ITALIAN "factory" replicas are particularly hard to detect as FAKES, as they are often made on the original PB/BMB machinery & bear the correct GI markings. = BEWARE.)

NOTE: At the last big Houston Gun Show that I attended (3+ years ago) I was looking for a .22 SPITFIRE barrel for my "planned MMJ shooter project". One of the vendors told me that he would assemble me an "undetectable" replica Johnson "paratrooper" for 1200.oo & that would "FOOL any carbine expert". = I didn't doubt that he could, as all the proper serial number ranges are KNOWN to "Johnson Carbine addicts", proper barrels (that can be "properly marked") & there are plenty of "correct" small parts available.

just my OPINIONS, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Or you could could just buy a new made one and go have fun.
    Thats what I would do.

Moonpie,

WHICH "new one" did you buy??
    (Most of the "new made" carbines that I've handled don't work well at all.)

yours, satx

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Fulton Armory carbine is a good one.
    I’ve had decent luck with the Plainfields.
    Avoid Universal.
    Haven’t tried one of the new Inlands.
    A good way to go but a p.i.t.a. is get a beater GI gun and rebarrel it. Adds hassle and expense. The guns are already too expensive as it is.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I bought a Plainfield made in 1970's after Vietnam. It's authentic, but post war, so it was cheaper. I've been surprised how accurate it is. I heard stories to the contrary.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    I just want one to shoot.
    I had one for a couple of decades. Good shooter, and my friends seemed to really enjoy shooting it... but it just didn't get shot at all in the last 15 years so I traded it for a CZ I use for IDPA.

I think the shop that took it in, still has it and they might make you a deal. If I recall, mine was made by Universal; it was a shooter, not a collectable... (unless I was an idiot and gave it away, which is not infrequently the case).

Top Bottom