Join TexasGunTalk

I have always wanted an M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Hill Billy, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Hill Billy

Hill Billy USN 1974 -1977 Lifetime Member

Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    Problem is, I don't know whether to buy an actual War M1 or, one of the knockoff brands - like Khar Arms or others. Anyone here have any experience with them? Thanks.

HoustonCollection and satx78247 like this.
  2. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Well-Known

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    Me too. I'm leaning toward an original but man they're $$$. I'll be following this myself.

satx78247 and Hill Billy like this.
  3. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    Do you want one for a collection or one just to shoot?

sharkey likes this.
  4. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

Depends on what you’re going to do with it.
    Collectable? U.S.G.I. Is the way to go.
    Shooter? New made.
    Originals are all WW2 era made guns. They’re worn out except for the premium grade collectables which you’d be crazy to shoot.
    New made guns have brand new barrels so they’ll shoot better. Plus you can modify them without wrecking their value like would happen if you drilled/tapped for optics or bedded the action on a G.I. gun.

If you decide to go the USGI route be aware that the great majority of carbines are not anywhere near original. Most have been rebuilt during their military service using all manner of different parts.
    These are commonly referred to as mixmasters or sometimes “bitzers” as in made up of various bits.
    These are very common.

Many sold today are what I call “fake originals”.
    These are guns that have had most of the parts changed back to original(or even counterfeit) maker parts so they can be sold at inflated prices. These are particularly present in the more desirable versions such as Rock-Ola, Winchester, Irwin-Peterson.
    Do your research! Don’t get ripped off. Approach any All Original carbine with caution. Especially the folding stock paratrooper model. Fakes abound.
    USGI carbines are very collectable and popular.
    Heck, even the magazines themselves have collectors.

5. diesel1959

diesel1959 por vida Lifetime Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    I got one of the CMP M1 carbines--dates back to '43, I believe. It's a great firearm and since all the ammo is non-corrosive, I've got NO problem shooting that sucker. I might look into getting one of the newer commercial versions, but not out of fear for shooting my current carbine.

satx78247 and vmax like this.
  6. Hill Billy

Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    I just want one to shoot.

7. Hill Billy

Sep 28, 2018
    Colorado
    Thank you VERY much for the help.

8. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    Hill Billy,

Inasmuch as ORIGINAL .30 caliber US Carbines are RARER than hen's teeth, IF you want one for a shooter, look around for a DEPOT REBUILT carbine that was sold by DCM/CMP. or for a HOWA carbine that was made for the Thai Army or National Police.
    (A "little bird told me" that a whole flock of the carbines are going to be re-imported to the USA from OCONUS in the next year to 18 months.)

Personally, the ONLY M1 carbine that I'd pay to own is a JOHNSON conversion in .22 SPITFIRE.

yours, satx

9. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    Moonpie said the truth

Charlie and satx78247 like this.
  10. Darqhelmet

Darqhelmet You had one job, one.

Jul 5, 2018
    Dallas
    If you want a shooter make sure you find quality mags to go with it. Biggest issue I have seen/had with them has been magazine related. Which is a horrible way to ruin a fun day.

satx78247 likes this.