• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I bought a Plainfield made in 1970's after Vietnam. It's authentic, but post war, so it was cheaper. I've been surprised how accurate it is. I heard stories to the contrary.

deemus,

One nation, where I once briefly worked, issued Plainfield carbines to the Central Training Facility's civilian guard force. - Those SEEMED OK in my limited experience with them BUT the Universals were so HORRID that we refused to use those carbines & left them in the force's arms room.

just my OPINION, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Where's a good place to get magazines for these thangs?

grumper,

Frankly, I don't know how common that my recent experience is outside of South TX but in the gun shows around here there are STACKS of 15-round GI mags for cheap.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I wish this town still had gun shows :(

grumper,

Fwiw, The Alamo City is 75 minutes away. = In a State where people often drive 2 hours to eat BBQ (In my case to Lockhart), a short trip is acceptable to me to find gun stuff that I need.
    (I'll let you in on my "secret places" for GREAT BBQ & fish/fries, if you come to the BIG show here. = Fyi, more fistfights have been started over the best Tex-Mex in Bexar County than have been fought over adultery.)

yours, satx

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I bought a Plainfield made in 1970's after Vietnam. It's authentic, but post war, so it was cheaper. I've been surprised how accurate it is. I heard stories to the contrary.
    I have a Plainfield and a Kahr. Both work fine with original GI mags. I believe there is a company in TX that males a new model to include the paratroop stock. They were at NRA convention and it was slick. It was also over a grand so I lost interest.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I found a Winchester M1 Carbine in a Phoenix pawn shop in the early 90's. Paid $200.00 for it. Shot it for 20 years and enjoyed it. Was after something different so I traded it and learned a lot more about what I actually had. What I thought was a steal was actually a reweld with a Blue Sky barrel. I thought I had an $800 rifle, but instead it turned out to be a $400 shooter. Still doubled my money and had a blast with it so no foul in that respect.

brushtrooper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    CORPUS CHRISTI,TX
    My father bought one after Vietnam in a garage sale for 20.00 It was my first shooter when I was a little kid, I took my first deer with it. It was considered a truck gun for many years until about 15 years ago when my father saw the what they were selling for. He cleaned that sucker up and put some shine on it. Became a safe queen for many years until I got it from him. Still a good shooter to this day and one of my favorites. Maybe I need to look into one of the new ones for a truck gun.

jbmckin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Flower Mound, TX
    Hello all.
    I am also wanting to get an M1, but don't know the best place to go to find one.
    What I am really looking for is an original stock with new barrel, etc. I think.
    Want to get one that will shoot accurately, but have some character.
    I am not really a collector, and I know an original that hasn't been pretty much shot out will be very expensive. I am willing to spend a pretty good amount, say $1000-$2500?

So I would appreciate any M1 experts out there pointing me to some reputable dealers.

Semper fi.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A GI gun is the only way to go. There are still GI parts out there and they don't always work on commercial guns. I'm surprised @ the amount of M-1 Carbines that contain mostly M2 parts still to this day.

ekim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2018
    ky
    A GI gun is the only way to go. There are still GI parts out there and they don't always work on commercial guns. I'm surprised @ the amount of M-1 Carbines that contain mostly M2 parts still to this day.

But not all the ones that make it a real blast to shoot.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For the record, Hill Billy is banned, but there is nothing that I can see on my Android phone when surfing as usual which would indicate it.
    I don't use TaT.

It had been stated that the screen name would be underlined or something.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    For the record, Hill Billy is banned, but there is nothing that I can see on my Android phone when surfing as usual which would indicate it.
    I don't use TaT.

It had been stated that the screen name would be underlined or something.

I'm on Tot and it is not noted that he is banned. Just logged in on a computer, and it also does not note that he is banned. In fact it says lifetime member.

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

baboon,

Agreed 100%. = When I get around to building my ersatz MMJ carbine, I'll use nothing but GI parts except for a new-made .22 Spitfire barrel & a replica folding stock out of Asia.

M1 Carbines with lots of M2 parts are lawful, as long as they do NOT contain all SEVEN parts that are necessary for FA fire.
    (Fwiw, when the amnesty of 1967 or maybe 1968 came along, I had BUNCHES of M2 parts but was TOO DUMB to go register/pay 200.oo for a tax stamp for each "put together" set. = ALL 7 parts were commonplace & CHEAP to buy back then.)

yours, satx

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom