• ...and so much more!
  • Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    1943 M1 Carbine.JPG

Here is a picture of mine. All original USGI including never upgraded after the war. Flip sight, push button safety and no bayonet lug. Most parts are Inland and Underwood. Has a Winchester trigger. Great shooter. 5 digit SN.
    Gun Zone Deals

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    10h2dqs.jpg

m9ssxf.jpg

Here's my 2 cents. I looked into modern copies, but ultimately went with a G.I. carbine just because of history. Plus the G.I. versions are not getting any cheaper. I paid $800.00 last Christmas for mine. My carbine is a 2/43 Inland that was rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal post war. As others have noted, magazines are the carbines weak spot. I only use G.I. 15 rounders and have not had a problem. I also have a set of spare springs incase of future need.

Attachments

• 10h2dqs.jpg
      10h2dqs.jpg
      41.7 KB · Views: 458
    • m9ssxf.jpg
      m9ssxf.jpg
      139.4 KB · Views: 394

Inspector43

Everything I Own Is Paid For
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2017
    Colorado County, Texas
    View attachment 160157
    View attachment 160158
    Here's my 2 cents. I looked into modern copies, but ultimately went with a G.I. carbine just because of history. Plus the G.I. versions are not getting any cheaper. I paid $800.00 last Christmas for mine. My carbine is a 2/43 Inland that was rebuilt at Augusta Arsenal post war. As others have noted, magazines are the carbines weak spot. I only use G.I. 15 rounders and have not had a problem. I also have a set of spare springs incase of future need.
    Nice.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    toby 1,

FIRST, WELCOME ABOARD.

Fyi, I really LIKE your carbine.

It's my plan, after Jessie at JES re-formats my next .30-06 Remington pump rifle into a DANGEROUS GAME RIFLE in .400 BROWN-WHELEN IMPROVED, is to find a bare M1 carbine receiver, a reproduction folding "paratrooper" stock (the Indonesian/Malaysian copies at about 125.ooUSD are virtually impossible to tell from originals), the relevant small parts & a barrel, by SHILEN in .22 JOHNSON SPITFIRE.

Then I will assemble that good-sized pile of wood/metal into a "clone" of the JOHNson/MMJ "jungle carbine" for my compact truck-gun.

yours, satx

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Satx, are you a member at the CMP forums? If not, look at joining. It takes awhile to get approval. After that, check the carbine marketplace for sale ads. Carbine receivers come up fairly often. The members over there police themselves pretty well and the shysters are called out immediately.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    toby 1,

FIRST, WELCOME ABOARD.

Fyi, I really LIKE your carbine.

It's my plan, after Jessie at JES re-formats my next .30-06 Remington pump rifle into a DANGEROUS GAME RIFLE in .400 BROWN-WHELEN IMPROVED, is to find a bare M1 carbine receiver, a reproduction folding "paratrooper" stock (the Indonesian/Malaysian copies at about 125.ooUSD are virtually impossible to tell from originals), the relevant small parts & a barrel, by SHILEN in .22 JOHNSON SPITFIRE.

Then I will assemble that good-sized pile of wood/metal into a "clone" of the JOHNson/MMJ "jungle carbine" for my compact truck-gun.

yours, satx
    No you don't! Buddy of mine has an original Jonson Spitfire and while a great idea the ammo is problematic.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Satx, are you a member at the CMP forums? If not, look at joining. It takes awhile to get approval. After that, check the carbine marketplace for sale ads. Carbine receivers come up fairly often. The members over there police themselves pretty well and the shysters are called out immediately.

toby1,
    YEP. I'm a member & have been for nearly a decade, I think.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    No you don't! Buddy of mine has an original Jonson Spitfire and while a great idea the ammo is problematic.

baboon,

Tell me: What exactly is so "probematic" about MAKING .22 SPITFIRE ammo, presuming that you are already a competent reloader??
    (.22 SPITFIRE cases are easily remade from .30 carbine cases, the primers are standard "small rifle" & the bullets are standard .224 diameter.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

5.5 MMJ cases, which have been properly annealed, don't split, presuming that the barrel/chamber are the CORRECT dimensions.
    (A considerable number of M1 carbine conversions have EXCESS head-space and/or are poorly machined. - Thus the NEED for a QUALITY barrel.)

Another common problem with SOME MMJ ammo is that it is loaded WAY TOO HOT for the little receiver/case. - The .22 SPITFIRE is NOT a magnum caliber.
    Instead, the .22 SPITFIRE is perfectly suitable for game up to about 50-75 pounds out to 100M plus. In the hands of a good shot, it also efficiently takes WT & Axis deer at typical Texas "brush country" ranges, using 50-70 grain JHP or JSP.
    (Well over 60% of WT deer in this area are taken at 50M or often much less. Virtually ALL of our deer are actually taken within 150M, as in the vast majority of cases, you cannot SEE a deer farther away than that..)

Have you ever fired a GOOD "GI" M1 Carbine, converted to that caliber??
    (Melvin Johnson had NO trouble with his personal carbine.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    All I know was he was excited about this when he first bought it years ago. Not sure about the source of his ammo & brass. After owning it & trying to get it to work he become less excited.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

Ask your buddy if he wants to sell the carbine. - I can get it to shoot properly, even if it means screwing on a new barrel.

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

Ask your buddy if he wants to sell the carbine. - I can get it to shoot properly, even if it means screwing on a new barrel.

yours, satx
    I doubt he would sell it as he says it an original Johnson built carbine. A few years back when he dragged it out I said something about selling it. He looked @ me like I kicked his dog.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    baboon,

I've always wondered "WHAT exactly" that an "original" MMJ carbine may be, inasmuch as ALL Johnson carbines are "conversions" of an existing .30 caliber GI M1 carbine.
    (That's WHY I'm planning to assemble myself a "Johnson clone", as I'm looking for & will be happy with a "shooter".)

Note: The Johnson company records still exist & at least 99% of all "real" Johnson carbines can be identified by serial number.
    (I'd guess that there are MORE "clones" & "fake 'original' Johnson" carbines than there are "MMJ-made" pieces.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    baboon,

I've always wondered "WHAT exactly" that an "original" MMJ carbine may be, inasmuch as ALL Johnson carbines are "conversions" of an existing .30 caliber GI M1 carbine.
    (That's WHY I'm planning to assemble myself a "Johnson clone", as I'm looking for a "shooter".)

yours, satx
    He claims Melvin Johnson himself built this one. I can't remember what provenance he has on it.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    He claims Melvin Johnson himself built this one. I can't remember what provenance he has on it.

baboon,

As Melvin Johnson's carbines are GREAT SHOOTERS (presuming that they carbines are still in "UN-Bubbaed" condition), I'm 99% sure that your buddy's problem is BAD AMMO and/or ammo that is FAR TOO HOT for the firearm, as Melvin Johnson did GOOD work.
    (IF he won't sell it AND wants to shoot it, tell him to message me & we will talk about making PROPER CASES from GI brass, that can be reloaded at least 5-6 times each, and are SUITABLE loads for his little carbine.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Eli,

NOT Israeli Military Industries, AKA: "IMI"??
    (Arcadia Machine & Tool of CA some years ago TRIED & FAILED to make a working copy of the Johnson carbine. When that company failed "IAI" bought what was left of AMT at the bankruptcy sale & also failed.)
    Thereafter MOSSBERG bought that "remainder" of IAI out & I've heard nothing of that "carbine project" since.

Fwiw, I heard a rumor (but nothing since) about IMI restarting the MMJ products line.
    Can you add any FACTS to clear up my confusion??

yours, satx

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Because of the presence of "Israel" in the company name, IAI has frequently been confused with Israel Military Industries (IMI), the civilian sales division of the military weapons manufacturer for the nation of Israel. Because of their use of the initials IAI, this company has often been confused with Irwindale Arms Incorporated of Irwindale, CA. Israel Arms International was not related to either of these companies.

Source: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_iai.html

5.7 Spitfire info on page 2: http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_iai2.html

Eli

Top Bottom