• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    I have wanted a 454 Casull ever since I rented one about a month and a half ago. So I did a bunch of research and settled on a Ruger Super Redhawk with the 7.5" barrel. Other options were the Taurus Raging Bull, Smith and Wesson 460 XVR, Freedom Arms 83, and the Magnum Research BFR.

The Taurus was the most economic and more aesthetically appealing choice, but the grip sucks for me and there is quality questions with Taurus.

The Smith & Wesson would have been the most versatile choice since it could shoot 460 S&W Magnum as well as 454 Casull, but the X Frame is just too damn big IMO.

Freedom Arms would easily be the best overall quality revolver, but to carry it in the field I would need to carry it on an empty chamber with only 4 rounds in the cylinder. Not to mention they cost around $2,400.00 new.

MRI's BFR has a transfer bar so I can carry 5 rounds in the field, plus is a plenty tough frame. And I have had no issues with my Desert Eagle so I would expect similar quality. And it would have been cool to shoot a SA revolver.

But I opted for Ruger since it is extremely durable and can really hold up under the extreme pressures for the 454 Casull. And since I will get into reloading thanks to this revolver I want the gun that will stand up to the most abuse with this round. Plus is has the best grip out of all the other selections (I got to handle all 5 at the last gun show I went to). And it has six shots instead of 5.

I know a few people on the forum have experience with the Ruger Super Redhawk. And I have heard nothing but good things from them. Has anyone else here had any experience with the other brands? I think I made the right choice.
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    For a beefy cartridge like that, I couldn't imagine picking a better gun. For wheel guns, I'm a S&W fanboi, but I think the Ruger is a great choice (I've got a couple of them too.)

Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    For a beefy cartridge like that, I couldn't imagine picking a better gun. For wheel guns, I'm a S&W fanboi, but I think the Ruger is a great choice (I've got a couple of them too.)
    And that is why this pick is so significant. I too have only owned S&W revolvers before this. I have owned a few Ruger firearms before, but every revolver (save for the Judge) has been a Smith & Wesson. And if I am going to get a revolver in 44 Magnum or below, odds are I will get a S&W. But now that I am looking beyond 44 Magnum, I think Ruger is the better choice. And with me looking at other calibers like 475 Linebaugh, 480 Ruger, or 500 JRH; a Ruger custom job will be on the table. Not unless Ruger wants to get into the 50 caliber revolver market. In which case take my money right the f**k now.

@ Moonpie As soon as I get my hands on this revolver I will post all the pictures and have another in depth (an wordy) range report immediately afterwards.

Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    How often will you shoot it? The ammo cost must be quite high per round. Are you using it for hunting purposes?

Hunting would be one of the options for the gun.

But since I can find bulk ammo for 454 Casull for about a buck a round, it would essentially partner with my Desert Eagle as a gun I can take to the range every other trip and pop off 20 rounds. That or practice with 45 Colt for a cheaper 62 cents a round. Either way I intend to shoot it on the regular. Only this thing would be a lot easier to clean then my Desert Eagle.

heavygunner8

Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    Hunting would be one of the options for the gun.

But since I can find bulk ammo for 454 Casull for about a buck a round, it would essentially partner with my Desert Eagle as a gun I can take to the range every other trip and pop off 20 rounds. That or practice with 45 Colt for a cheaper 62 cents a round. Either way I intend to shoot it on the regular. Only this thing would be a lot easier to clean then my Desert Eagle.
    I'd love to buy me a big bore revolver. The only thing holding me back are the ammo expenses, I just don't like to worry about how often I can go to the range with my guns. I don't hunt either, so I have no excuse.

rman

TGT Addict
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    nice choice

i have a 460v, kicks like a mule
    my dad has a 454 super alaskan in 454, the little 2.5"
    he literally cannot find it in his house.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had the exact gun you are looking at, SRH in 454 Casull with 7.5" barrel.

You are making a great choice. Very sharp looking gun that is built like a tank.

It is also cut for their scope rings so if you go that route it is an easy process.

You will be happy.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Congratulations on your new pistol. I think you will really like it. It fits your hand and that's what's most important.

I have shot most of the other brands as well as you super redhawk and they all have their advantages and disadvantages the redhawk only real negative is it lacks a bit in the fit and finish. The smith, though heavy has a much improved trigger and barrel making it more of a target gun. Performance center smiths really are target pistols. The Ruger is fine for hunting and can easily take deer out to 100 yards. I need a scope to do that but it's doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    Rugers are built like a tank.

I enjoy my SRH Alaskans in .480 and .44 mag.

Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    I'd love to buy me a big bore revolver. The only thing holding me back are the ammo expenses, I just don't like to worry about how often I can go to the range with my guns. I don't hunt either, so I have no excuse.
    Yeah that is a legit concern. Luckily I have a career with nearly limitless opportunities for earning extra cash. So that helps a lot.

Feb 12, 2017
    DFW Area
    I had the exact gun you are looking at, SRH in 454 Casull with 7.5" barrel.

You are making a great choice. Very sharp looking gun that is built like a tank.

It is also cut for their scope rings so if you go that route it is an easy process.

You will be happy.

Glad to hear. I am sure I will.

heavygunner8

Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    You can if you don't mind the lack of sleep from working extra jobs, overtime, and the occasional marathon. Otherwise I don't get paid much. Thankfully my life style is not extravagant so it balances out.
    How often do you and your coworkers train? How often do you guys go to the range? Are you required by your department to train certain number of hours a year? I'm just curious how LEO's jobs work.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My Son in law is a Sheriff. It amazes me that the only gun he owns is his duty pistol.
    He does not go pistol shooting but a couple times a year.

heavygunner8

Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    My Son in law is a Sheriff. It amazes me that the only gun he owns is his duty pistol.
    He does not go pistol shooting but a couple times a year.
    Wow, I thought cops trained all the time. You'd think he'd train more often if he's depending on the pistol with his life.

Top Bottom