i hope this guy is wrong

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DCortez, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
  2. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I fear he is conservative on his figures and things are worse.

3. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    "If one considers the people who would like a job but have stopped looking -- so-called discouraged workers -- and those who are working fewer hours than they want, the unemployment rate would move from the official 9.4 percent to 16 percent, said Atlanta Fed chief Dennis Lockhart.

He underscored that he was expressing his own views, which did "do not necessarily reflect those of my colleagues on the Federal Open Market Commitee," the policy-setting body of the central bank.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's right, but I'm with you on this DC, I HOPE he's wrong.

4. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Two more emails this morning, one for a cable estimator and one for a computer tech.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
  6. SiscoKid

SiscoKid Active Member

Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    The unemployment situation touched us and I have to go into detail here again. (as usual)

Last August wife was laid off from her 15 year bank job. She drew unemployment for six months, her Cobra Ins was $460 a month, nearly the amount she was receiving, she kept it up. Finally she took a job at local Walmart. She hated it, straight nights, said every night was a fight with the illegals, minorities, and shoplifters.

Finally she got wind of another bank job in June, was hired, and danced a jig. Said she felt good that she could leave Walmart and provide a job for someone who probably really needed it.

She was a product of the recession, fought the battle, and came out on top. Many don't survive.

Aren't we happy to be living in America 2009?

7. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I've heard figures of anywhere from 8-15% in our area. The guy that gave our last unemployment help class couldnt even give us a concrete number on this. That could be anywhere from 8500-17000 people out of work just in the WF area alone. Coming out of the recession my ass, thinking its the start of another depression or worse...:gotme:

8. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Jobless rates are much lower in Texas, in some areas of the country the jobless rates are incredibly high. I think we are going to see alot of migration within the country.

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

I saw a Rhode Island plate in our neighborhood less that a week ago.

10. wllmwallace

wllmwallace Active Member Lifetime Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    Okay, so I found a thread that made me want to say something. I have a Bachelor's of Science in Biology, UC Berkely. MCSE, C++, A+, CCNA certified, have been a Health Inspector, FEMA Flood Plain Manager, and DR for TECQ (TNRCC) for Tom Green County, STRONG background in Public Health/Emergency Medicine/Computers (prior HM2/FMF US Navy x 8 years - Veteran of DS/DS, Somalia, Rwanda, Sierre Leone, Bosnia)....lost my computer related job in Dallas due to budget cutbacks......

Making a living right now at 38 years old.....HVAC Technician, started out as a helper, learned the trade OJT, worked hard to learn as fast as I could, been at it about 6 months, and am THANKFUL every damn day I roll out of bed at 6 am and pull my work boots on that I can....

Pay the bills (house is paid off as are all three vehicles), putting food on the table for my family (Wife and TWO teenage boys), paying for braces for both, Tennis for oldest at Jr. High, and still have the money to keep my hobby (shooting). Pay for everything....EVERYTHING...cash money...credit rating at 840, and owe NO ONE.

YES - it is HARD thankless work mainly construction on a rooftop all day long.

YES - it sucks that I can't have my old jobs, but sitting around whining about it is worthless.

I became out of work...I went and found a damn JOB. I work with probably a 80-90% illegal/minority workforce...roofers, duct installers, various other construction related jobs...and those guys EARN their money. They WORK...ALL DAY, ANY DAY. I have RESPECT for the Mexicans/Latino people I share a spot of shade with at lunch. Those guys are out there doing a job that I see NO other race, white, black, yellow, purple, polka-dotted person willing to even CONSIDER doing.

Economy suck? Job Market suck? you BET....but I am sick to DEATH about hearing the average joe blow bitching about it when there ARE jobs out there....it just comes down to how HARD you're wiling to work to make the $$ to support yourself.

Guess it all comes down to the way I was raised. TEXANS - Vietnam Vet dad, WWII Carlson Raider Grandfather - MARINES...told me if I joined the Corps they'd Kick My Ass - became a Corpsman and gave 'em both the finger.

They were HARD men, who's job it was to build MEN, not raise little boys.

Rant concluded, soap box stored, return to normal.