• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Had an interesting conversation with one of our local NRA reps yesterday. We got to talking about OC and the numerous 30.06/30.07 signs going up at local gas stations. The first words out of his mouth were "i would never OC, it only makes you a target, why show your hand and be the first person shot when a bad guy walks in to rob a place!" like to have floored me!

I can understand the "show your hand" argument from a tactical standpoint (although i dont completely agree with it), but the rest is just pure hog wash! Since he was a customer, i just shook my head and changed the subject, but i would have expected better from someone who was a rep for the NRA. I really wanted to ask him to cite where this has happened in the other 44 states where OC is legal, but i could tell, it would have got me nowhere and probably just started an argument.

Its this kind of thing that will eventually cost us. When a group of gun rights activists fall for the anti gun propoganda and take it as fact, that doesnt bode well for the rest of us. Id be curious to know how prevelant this view was within the NRA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Military Camp

hacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2016
    I agree. What these people need to realize is that the RKBA has been infringed for a long time. We are finally getting some "unfringing" and these so called patriots are terrified. It's like they've never seen a man or woman with a gun strapped on before. Get used to it. I call this the "Trump" syndrome. When you finally get a little more freedom, or you get some guy promising it, the rino crowd starts wetting their pants to fight against it because they are all about keeping everything the same not letting go any power or control.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The kind of ignorance you described in the OP is easy to combat. You can educate someone like that with facts.

The kind of ignorance associated with businesses posting 30.07/30.06 this year will be a lot more difficult. A vast majority of these are doing so because their only exposure to open carry has been CJ, Kory and their unicycle riding juggling midget brigade.

Almost all of the gun carriers I know are completely in favor of OC, even if they are not planning on OCing themselves.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I mentioned this before, but I was in Gander First of February, and looking at guns.
    One of the customers was asking about open carry, & the employee mentioned the same
    about being a target, etc.
    I said, "Really?", he said that "yes, he was also an EMT and has encountered people OC'ing
    that were attacked because of their guns".

I just walked away.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    You can support OC, but not practice it and you're 'persona non grata'?

Guys, getting bothered because some of us other gun guys don't OC for reasons that make sense to us, make you sound as sanctimonious as anti-gun people.

Lighten the hell up.

My reason for not OCing is just one.

I don't want the attention.

If that gets you all riled up, too bad.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    You can support OC, but not practice it and you're 'persona non grata'?

Guys, getting bothered because some of us other gun guys don't OC for reasons that make sense to us, make you sound as sanctimonious as anti-gun people.

Lighten the hell up.

My reason for not OCing is just one.

I don't want the attention.

If that gets you all riled up, too bad.

Offended much? Nowhere here did anyone talk down about someone not choosing to OC.

Couldnt care less if someone wants to OC, CC, or not carry at all. Just dont spout the false anti gun propoganda especially if you are in a position where you are supposed to be supporting gun rights. Not directed at you personally.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    I am also the type that does not like attention no matter the reason. I support our right to OC but
    never plan on doing it myself.

What I smile at is when someone says "being picked out by the bad guys because you are OC'ing has never happened." so it is a stupid reason for not OC'ing. Well, ok so what. Does that mean it will never happen?

I don't judge anyone for OC or CC'ing. Everyone with a license can do either, which is good. I leave it at that.

That said.
    Found this interesting.

http://koin.com/2014/10/07/man-practicing-open-carry-law-robbed-of-gun/

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I mentioned this before, but I was in Gander First of February, and looking at guns.
    One of the customers was asking about open carry, & the employee mentioned the same
    about being a target, etc.
    I said, "Really?", he said that "yes, he was also an EMT and has encountered people OC'ing
    that were attacked because of their guns".

I just walked away.

This paramedic (Paramedic > EMT) says that's hogwash, unless the person was flashing around a pistol they obviously couldn't keep control of in a place frequented by criminals who would have no qualms taking it from him (like another recent story here).

If you're going to carry open or concealed, you have to be ready to FIGHT for your weapon. If you don't and it's taken from you, you've reaped what you sowed.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Just dont spout the false anti gun propoganda especially if you are in a position where you are supposed to be supporting gun rights.

How does what your NRA guy said qualify as "anti gun propaganda"?

I fully support the right to OC, but I think CC is wiser. I honestly don't see how my position, which seems in line with your NRA guy, can be construed as anti-gun.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    This paramedic (Paramedic > EMT) says that's hogwash, unless the person was flashing around a pistol they obviously couldn't keep control of in a place frequented by criminals who would have no qualms taking it from him (like another recent story here).

If you're going to carry open or concealed, you have to be ready to FIGHT for your weapon. If you don't and it's taken from you, you've reaped what you sowed.

I agree completely, the point is, this person that Joe Blow goes to for guns, is passing out this bad info.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    How does what your NRA guy said qualify as "anti gun propaganda"?

I fully support the right to OC, but I think CC is wiser. I honestly don't see how my position, which seems in line with your NRA guy, can be construed as anti-gun.

Because that is what was spewed all the way up to OC passing! Gunfights at high noon, blood running in the streets, what about the children, guns being yanked out of holsters, etc etc etc! Show me any instance where a person was openly carrying (other than leo) and a criminal walked in, shot the open carrier first (ie targeted him because he was carrying openly), and then proceeded to carry out whatever crime they had come there to do.

Like i said before, i dont care how you choose to carry or why. I just wish people who are supossed to be pro gun would quit spouting misinformation and emotion based bs that does nothing to help push gun rights and will probably actually hurt in the long run. We need all the help we can get and a comment like that could very well sway someone on the fence to oppose open carry especially coming from someone who is supposed to be representing gun owners. I never said the guy was anti gun, but from my convesation, im pretty sure he was anti OC.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I agree. What these people need to realize is that the RKBA has been infringed for a long time. We are finally getting some "unfringing" and these so called patriots are terrified. It's like they've never seen a man or woman with a gun strapped on before. Get used to it. I call this the "Trump" syndrome. When you finally get a little more freedom, or you get some guy promising it, the rino crowd starts wetting their pants to fight against it because they are all about keeping everything the same not letting go any power or control.

So instead of trying to help convince fellow gun owners you attack them. Yep thats sure to be helpful when you are complaining that no one is helping you write letters or otherwise boycotting stores with 30.07 signs.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Because that is what was spewed all the way up to OC passing! Gunfights at high noon, blood running in the streets, what about the children, guns being yanked out of holsters, etc etc etc! Show me any instance where a person was openly carrying (other than leo) and a criminal walked in, shot the open carrier first (ie targeted him because he was carrying openly), and then proceeded to carry out whatever crime they had come there to do.

I wouldn't be worrying about the guy walking in. I would be worried about his partner who was already in the joint casing it. You've been made.

And it has happened to cops. Thats why the Houston PoPo has the holsters they have.
    Is it going to happen in the middle of the street? Probably not. Is it going to happen at all? Probably not. But the odds of ever needing that firearm are also 'probably not."

I just wish people who are supossed to be pro gun would quit spouting misinformation and emotion based bs
    Many view OCing in circumstances conducive to that as not something they want to do for that reason. Does it make us bad? Nope. Does it make us want to help you get .3007 signs revoked? After this thread, I couldn't care less.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    fishingsetx said:
    Since he was a customer, i just shook my head and changed the subject

fishingsetx said:
    I just wish people who are supossed to be pro gun would quit spouting misinformation and emotion based bs ...

Wishing, and bitching about it on TGT, won't do anything to help your cause. Why didn't you talk to him about it, respectfully explain to him your opinions on the matter? Is it because you know you can't control your emotions (as is somewhat evident by this thread)?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wishing, and bitching about it on TGT, won't do anything to help your cause. Why didn't you talk to him about it, respectfully explain to him your opinions on the matter? Is it because you know you can't control your emotions (as is somewhat evident by this thread)?
    Well, you did quote the primary answer to your antagonist reply. "He was a customer" probably not a good reason to put your job at risk by violating the "customer is always "rule. Sounds like he was at work.

But I am sure you would risk not being able to feed your family by risking an argument with a customer at your place of employment on the principle of it, right?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Why do overzealous OCers insist we who prefer CC, join in, in OCing?

Isn't the support of your fellow pro-gun guys enough?

I'm not anti-OC. I'm all for it, for those who care to.

What I am against is the almost belligerent insistence ALL pro-gun guys and gals for that matter, HAVE TO OC.

You who're OC-Insistent, don't have the authority to MAKE ME OC, if I don't want to and I don't want to, but you go right ahead.

If my stance isn't to your liking, think again.

We CC guys/gals are on your side, but if you keep pushing me/us, insisting we join in, in OCing, you WILL find me no longer on your side.

We have a choice and you don't get to make it for us!

You OC-Insistent act like Union goons.

Join us or you'll regret it.

KMA

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    Well, you did quote the primary answer to your antagonist reply. "He was a customer" probably not a good reason to put your job at risk by violating the "customer is always "rule. Sounds like he was at work.

But I am sure you would risk not being able to feed your family by risking an argument with a customer at your place of employment on the principle of it, right?

So, do you not think it's possible to have a congenial discussion with a customer on differing viewpoints, without risking loss of job?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom