• Status
    Not open for further replies.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It is hard to argue that a person open carrying is giving up an important part of their tactical advantage that concealment gives.

No, it's not. Police would all be plain clothed and concealing if that were the case.

Also there's this:

http://www.examiner.com/article/open-carry-deters-armed-robbery-kennesaw

There's advantages/disadvantages to both OC and CC. Most are dependent on situation. Either isn't for everyone.

And there's nothing tactical about most gun owners who carry. They're just everyday folks who like the option of protecting themselves how they choose.

Being 73 years old and weighing in at 105 pounds, I doubt she could fend off an attack by a 13 year old that wanted her Springfield. I've tried to explain that hiding it from view would allow her to come to someone's rescue if needed and not be the focus of a thief's attention

Devil's Advocate: So you think that she would not be a victim if she were concealing? So old ladies don't get robbed, unless they're open carrying? And if you don't think she's capable of fending off a 13 year old, you think she's capable of aiding in someone else's rescue?

..... but she enjoys people staring at her again!

And

So, open carry all you wish! I'll be the guy standing quietly by, ready to be your backup.

Similar, yes?

You don't open carry, fine. Let others that wish to, do so at their own pleasure. I don't understand the rivalry between OC and CC. Makes little sense to me.

We should support each other's right ti choose how they carry a firearm, not belittle them for their choice if it's disagreeable to yours.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Dang, I don't open carry because I don't want my sidearm banging off the car door jam. Plus I don't want it wearing a hole in my upholstery. Lol

Brian Boru

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2014
    Texas
    Had an interesting conversation with one of our local NRA reps yesterday. We got to talking about OC and the numerous 30.06/30.07 signs going up at local gas stations. The first words out of his mouth were "i would never OC, it only makes you a target, why show your hand and be the first person shot when a bad guy walks in to rob a place!" like to have floored me!
    I'm with you bro. I don't get it either. Almost every CHL holder I've talked to has said they won't open carry because they are scared of being targeted first. They are welcome to their opinion, but I contend that the more people OC the less crimes will be committed in public places. When banks are getting robbed they tend to hire openly armed security guards. This is almost entirely as a deterrent, (banks are not hoping for shootouts, just for the criminals to go away) and its very effective.

Crooks who walk into a grocery store planning to rob the cashier are going to go away and try to find an easier mark if they see a few guys walking around with guns on their hips, badges or no badges. Most robbers and other violent criminals are looking for easy targets who don't resist, only a very very very slim minority want to get involved and risk dying in an altercation with another armed person. Criminals use weapons to gain the upper hand, they don't want an even playing field.

I think in a few years a lot of people will warm up to the idea of open carrying. I certainly respect everyone's choice to conceal for whatever reason, and logical points can be made on both sides. But I am convinced that if we did eventually get to a point as a society where a significant proportion of the population was carrying openly there would be less incidents.

Especially if multiple people are OCing within visible distance of each other. If there are 5 people OCing in a room that kind of negates the first target fear. A concealed gun can stop a crime that's underway, a visible gun will make the crime less likely of taking place in that vicinity.

I'm for more people carrying open. I'm also for more people carrying concealed. Which ever you prefer. More guns less crime.

oljames3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Elgin, Texas
    ... You don't open carry, fine. Let others that wish to, do so at their own pleasure. I don't understand the rivalry between OC and CC. Makes little sense to me.

We should support each other's right ti choose how they carry a firearm, not belittle them for their choice if it's disagreeable to yours.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
    It seems to me that the fact that we should and do carry is the main point on which we should agree. What and how we carry are personal choices. Indeed, I feel there is more to be gained by supporting each other than be denigrating those who disagree.

"Peer pressure" has no effect on my choices. I carry what and how I have chosen as the best to defend myself and those in my care.

As most things in life, it comes down to which risks we are willing to manage and which benefits matter most. These decisions vary greatly from person to person as our individual differences vary.

For myself and mine I will continue to carry openly, conceal as the situation dictates, and disarm only when I must.

O. Lee James, III
    CPT US Army Retired

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    I think the "landscape" of OC will change as the weather warms up. It'll be a lot easier and more comfortable to OC in the triple digits.

I know that for me, I'm CC'ing a lot more just because I don't have to worry about somebody catching a glimpse. I know it doesn't make any sense, but I'm far more comfortable now. It also means I can take off my jacket and have to be uncomfortable just because there's a holster underneath.

To each his own, we should all be banding together against MDA instead of fighting amongst ourselves.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    You can support OC, but not practice it and you're 'persona non grata'?

Guys, getting bothered because some of us other gun guys don't OC for reasons that make sense to us, make you sound as sanctimonious as anti-gun people.

Lighten the hell up.

My reason for not OCing is just one.

I don't want the attention.

If that gets you all riled up, too bad.
    ^^ I have to agree with this^^

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Good thing there is no forum rule to get others banned because you were bothered....:popcorn:
    This guy gets it. I've been seeing way too many anti OC posts on this board and others I frequent and its always backed by the same "you're gonna get shot first or element of surprise" BS. This concealed carry elitism is really starting to bother me.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    There are many of us that don't care one way or another about open carry. It passed, do as you wish. I will OC or CC when I feel like it.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    It can also be said that if criminals see openly armed people thay are less likely to commit a crime.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Yep I would 100% think that it would be the case at least some of the time. I also think a person would absolutely have some risk of being targeted when they OC. If not for their gun then in a preemptive move by BG's if you were caught up in some criminal event.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    A mite passive-aggressive today eh?

Some folks on here complaining they're being hit over the head regarding OC and how tired they are of a simile, others stating folks are stupid, out to intimidate or impress but "they are all for rights, do it however you like you ignorant, attention-seeking bastard". To be honest I don't see why they wouldn't expect exactly the responses they baited but characterize it as continuously being "hit over the head". Obviously folks are going to respond when you say their choices are less than brilliant. Stating you don't care then posting how stupid it is clearly indicating you do care is confusing your message a little.

This is a fair point. I'd proffer most OCTers are not like that, but have besmirched by the OCTers shenannigans prior to the law put in practice.

On Jan 1, 2016, I had no plans to OC. Since then, I'm coming around. I did considerable experimentation with the pile of shoulder holsters that are laying around the house and all of them failed! Why the heck they put an adjustment buckle right at the base of the neck is a mystery. After 2 hours, those rigs were very uncomfortable!
    I think you're running into a common problem. The only should holster rigs that seem to be comfortable are extremely expensive rigs like from Galco etc, and even then many people don't find them comfortable.

Last edited:

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    Let's see if we can all agree.

I prefer CC, but wouldn't ever attempt to force you to CC only. My opinion.

You prefer OC, but wouldn't ever attempt to force me to OC. My opinion.

Agreed?

If so, there's no problem.

I think that is pretty close but I think the OP's point is this:

I prefer CC, but wouldn't ever attempt to force you to CC only and I will not spread BS about why OC is dumb.

You prefer OC, but wouldn't ever attempt to force me to OC and you will not spread BS about why CC is stupid.

There now, we can be friends again. :)

55865585.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom