Join TexasGunTalk

I like to drink a lot...of water. TX dry climate and heat, what's your water plan?

Discussion in 'Food, Water Storage and other Prepper Gear' started by breakingcontact, Oct 22, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I really consider obtaining, cleaning and resupplying water to be enemy number one in any kind of long term emergency survival situation here in TX.

2. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    What do you consider long term?

3. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    As fast as water goes...more than 2 weeks.

5. Mexican_Hippie

Mexican_Hippie MODERATOR TGT Supporter

Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Some storage and two different filtration systems. There's a pond and a public pool nearby if I had to go get some to treat.

6. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I've thought of those sources. The pond wouldn't be a problem with a regular filter. How about the pool water though?

7. just jk

just jk TGT Addict

Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    in a shtf scenario - potable water - in some parts of texas -would be a commodity equal to gold

8. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Funny you mentioning this. Just came across this cool vid series, and it's from a guy in San Antonio:

Rainwater Collection System Series - YouTube

Minus the cost of materials, can't beat FREE water! ;)

Also, seems like the most important aspect always boils down to filtering and purification. Any recommendations there? Lately, I've been thinking about getting a Berkey water filter for the kitchen. I looked around at tons of other options, from whole house filtration systems, to portable/semi-portable types like Berkey's, but there are too many options to choose from.

9. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    i read on some of the prepper sites that you can store water in gallon jugs for up to a year with just a few drops of bleach in each container

10. breakingcontact

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I've just got my water filters from my hiking daze. A lot of work to get a liter of water and it just removes most parasites in the water, not chemicals (which is why I ask about about how to clean the pool water).

I suppose the first question I should ask is how much I can realistically keep on hand, how to store it and how long it will last.